Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

777 Business Class Seat - bulkhead vs normal for tall people

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2019, 8:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)

I am on a 777-200ER from SYD-Australia and have the option between seat 4K (bulkhead) or seat 9K (bulkhead window 2nd cabin). I'm 6'4.

1) Which seat offers a longer bed by the feet? (And I mean longer... in some airlines/aircraft, the bulkhead seat is usually cut off a little shorter and you lose a few inches off the triangle.... and others you get the full length of the "full triangle" in the footwell.

See diagram below for illustration. The ideal situation is situation C. I don't want Situation B, which is more inferior. I'm OK with situation A.

2) Can you hear the lav in 9K

3) Does anyone have a picture of the 777 footwell - seat 9K vs a normal window seat?

4) which would you pick if you are tall

Thanks and much appreciated.
GManko likes this.

Last edited by cooleddie; Dec 15, 2019 at 9:00 pm
Old Dec 15, 2019, 9:01 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
I usually fly in 7A/K or 11A/K on the B777 fleet, though did just fly in 1A. I will say that there *appears* to be more room in the footwell, though it appeared to be width and not length. Certainly having no seat in front gave the impression of more overall space in the pod area.

Is it enough for me to move from my preference for the back row? No, but certainly 1A/K and 9A/K are my second preference.
GManko likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YVRtoYYZ
I usually fly in 7A/K or 11A/K on the B777 fleet, though did just fly in 1A. I will say that there *appears* to be more room in the footwell, though it appeared to be width and not length. Certainly having no seat in front gave the impression of more overall space in the pod area.

Is it enough for me to move from my preference for the back row? No, but certainly 1A/K and 9A/K are my second preference.

Thanks. OK to have more width, but was any length lost? (e.g. situation B above?)
Old Dec 15, 2019, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YVRtoYYZ

Why do you like 7A/K or 11A/K better?
Old Dec 15, 2019, 9:32 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
ACs fleet page lists flying a -300er, not 200er.

Neither I've flown. Either way....

But pods are pods. No more, no less.

Lav noise idk. Also worth considering, apparently, is bulkhead row crew made tiki lights
Old Dec 15, 2019, 10:16 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Eddie, I'm sure you remember that you and I are about the same height. I was told a while back - by someone not as tall as us - that row 1 had more leg room in the 787/777 pods. So I took row 1 on a couple of flights this year. I didn't notice any difference in leg room, but did notice that the proximity to the galley and lavs, especially on the K side, was bothersome. As a result, I've gone back to getting seats more towards the middle of the cabin.
vernonc likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 4:31 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
cooleddie , I flew in 9K on a 777-300 yesterday, and I'm reasonbly confident that the bulkhead/seat question you raise is the same between the -200 and -300 .... so I took a bunch of pictures for you.

My preference (I'm 6 foot 2) is still the bulkhead seats in J (1 A/K, 9 A/K). It's hard to definitively compare with the non-bukhead seats without getting out a tape measure, but by eyeballing things (and I did, yesterday, just to help you), I would say the following:
  • I can't say for certain that the bukhead seats have longer legroom, but I'm confident that they don't have less
  • I actually do think it's marginally more, as the length seems similar but the bulkhead seats allow your feet to go right to the cabin wall, while the non-bulkhead seats have a tiny bit of width compromised for your feet as your feet are within the next seat forward
  • For sure you have a lot more height for your feet, in the bulkead seat. You don't have any covering over your feet there, while I find the foot area in the non-bulkhead seats are shorter (height) than my feet are long
  • I have never been disturbed by the head, while sitting in 9 A/K
  • I have sometimes been disturbed by the gally, while sitting in 1 A/K
Hope this helps, here are the pictures. Again, this was 9K.

ecc, Bohemian1, GManko and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
It's the girth, not length.
(regarding the bulkhead seats)

"more room" is not necessarily "longer"

And my initial experiences thinking it was "longer" was wrong as alluded to above by Adam Smith
Old Dec 19, 2019, 4:56 pm

Programs: AC SEMM; AA,DL, Hyatt and Starwood. Ex-status:SQ PPS,CSA,Hilton,AA,UA
My subjective experience, comparing YVR-MEL recently, one direction bulkhead and one direction mid-cabin pods: When lying on my back, I felt no difference. When lying on my side, the bulkhead felt more spacious. I didn't measure or photograph anything, but seems consistent with the statements by others that there is a difference in footwell width but not length.

I am 193 cm, which is 6'4" or so.

None of this helps with the fact that the table and permanently present screen significantly reduce "coffin height" and therefore side-sleeping comfort versus the previous generation pods (still on the 763s). But with time I'm getting used to it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.