Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help! Can’t find gate 171 at YYZ

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2019, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Help! Can’t find gate 171 at YYZ

checked in on the AC mobile app. Got my boarding pass etc. Actually worked so that’s a huge plus! 1/8 since the transition. But I can’t for the life of me find gate 171. Help AC?

Old Dec 7, 2019, 1:39 pm
ecc

Programs: Air Canada/Aeroplan E50K, Mariott Gold Elite, Hotels.com Gold, Best Western Diamond Select,
Are you at the airport? Look for the information screens for your flight's gate. Flag down an AC employee?
Old Dec 7, 2019, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ecc
Are you at the airport? Look for the information screens for your flight's gate. Flag down an AC employee?

The closest I can find is F71. Maybe I’ll just try and go there?
Old Dec 7, 2019, 1:56 pm
ecc

Programs: Air Canada/Aeroplan E50K, Mariott Gold Elite, Hotels.com Gold, Best Western Diamond Select,
Originally Posted by Sean Peever
The closest I can find is F71. Maybe I’ll just try and go there?
No, F71 is transborder if memory serves.
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/ACA125 and https://www.torontopearson.com/en/departures/flights/aca125/t1207aca125yyzyvr/ say you need gate D45.

Look for the various information screens inside the terminal for more accurate information. Or ask an airport or AC employee for assistance.

They look like

Etc.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 1:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Reminds me of when I missed standby because the app gave me the wrong gate. Had it been accurate, or had no gate, I would have made the flight.

At least when it gives you a non-existent gate (171) or an obviously-wrong gate (71), you know you need to check elsewhere.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ecc
No, F71 is transborder if memory serves.
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/ACA125 and https://www.torontopearson.com/en/departures/flights/aca125/t1207aca125yyzyvr/ say you need gate D45.

Look for the various information screens inside the terminal for more accurate information. Or ask an airport or AC employee for assistance.

They look like

Etc.
Well what the hell! That’s not where the AC app says to go???

I’ve got a tight connection due to a delayed flight ( AC claims 1 min delay due to aircraft rotation and 1hr21min delay due to assisted boarding of 18 pax - but the assisted boarding didn’t start until after the scheduled departure time ). So I’m trying to plan where I need to rush to. It’s hard not to trust the AC app but since I can’t find 171 I’ll try D45 instead of F71. Let’s hope that works!
Old Dec 7, 2019, 2:11 pm
ecc

Well what the hell! That’s not where the AC app says to go???

I’ve got a tight connection due to a delayed flight ( AC claims 1 min delay due to aircraft rotation and 1hr21min delay due to assisted boarding of 18 pax - but the assisted boarding didn’t start until after the scheduled departure time ). So I’m trying to plan where I need to rush to. It’s hard not to trust the AC app but since I can’t find 171 I’ll try D45 instead of F71. Let’s hope that works!
You won't be able to get to the transboder gates, you need to go to the domestic section. Your boarding pass has ITD OSS so you won't have to go pick up your bag, just follow the signs for domestic connections with Air Canada, and there's staff there to route people to the small CBSA booth. There are screens along the walkway to show you what gate you need.

You will definitely need the D Gates no matter what for a domestic flight. If memory serves, E is international, F is transborder, and some gates are E/F combos.

Keep an eye on the link from Pearson departures as this is likely the most up to date source of information. https://www.torontopearson.com/en/de...7aca125yyzyvr/
Old Dec 7, 2019, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ecc
You won't be able to get to the transboder gates, you need to go to the domestic section. Your boarding pass has ITD OSS so you won't have to go pick up your bag, just follow the signs for domestic connections with Air Canada, and there's staff there to route people to the small CBSA booth. There are screens along the walkway to show you what gate you need.

You will definitely need the D Gates no matter what for a domestic flight. If memory serves, E is international, F is transborder, and some gates are E/F combos.

Keep an eye on the link from Pearson departures as this is likely the most up to date source of information. https://www.torontopearson.com/en/de...7aca125yyzyvr/

well that’s annoying. I re-looked at this AC app like a dozen times and I can’t find any letters for gates in it.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 2:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ecc

For the record, Sean's post is satirical.

I only mention this because you're putting a lot of effort into helpful advice, and I guarantee he's not going to try to walk to the F gates for his flight to YVR.
Admiral Ackbar and skybluesea like this.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 2:49 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime PE, AC Altitude SE100K-1MM
Another glitch since Amadeus...
This happened on my dad's flight YYZ to YVR on Nov 26.
When I printed out his BP, it was Gate 165, IIRC. This translated to D39.
So, doing the math, 171 = D45.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 2:54 pm
ecc

Originally Posted by canadiancow
For the record, Sean's post is satirical.

I only mention this because you're putting a lot of effort into helpful advice, and I guarantee he's not going to try to walk to the F gates for his flight to YVR.
Oh, I really didn't get that at all, I thought he genuinely needed help. Thank you canadiancow for pointing this out, text really doesn't convey tone well, and I have a hard enough time distinguishing satire as it is. /S or a would have been very helpful to make that distinction, especially on mobile where you don't see people's status/memberships, which is what I use most of the time.

Well, I hope that at least this info on what to do helps someone in the future, if they are a FOTSG or something and get bad data from the app.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 3:03 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime PE, AC Altitude SE100K-1MM
Originally Posted by ecc
Oh, I really didn't get that at all, I thought he genuinely needed help.
Tongue in cheek as OP might have been, your effort and willingness to help an FTer "in need" is the epitome of what makes FT a great community. ^
Old Dec 7, 2019, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Update, Gave my boarding pass to AC Agent, and asked them where to go to catch the flight. He told me international gates is where I have to go. I confirmed with him 3 times for a flight to Vancouver and he said “yes sir”. The Toronto Airport crew manning the door wouldn’t let me through.

#OkI’mDoneNow

Done pretending to be a regular passenger for a day, it’s way too frustrating and I’m getting sent all over the place. I’m going back to being a FTr.

Last edited by Sean Peever; Dec 7, 2019 at 4:15 pm
Old Dec 7, 2019, 4:34 pm

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
Update, Gave my boarding pass to AC Agent, and asked them where to go to catch the flight. He told me international gates is where I have to go. I confirmed with him 3 times for a flight to Vancouver and he said “yes sir”. The Toronto Airport crew manning the door wouldn’t let me through.

#OkI’mDoneNow

Done pretending to be a regular passenger for a day, it’s way too frustrating and I’m getting sent all over the place. I’m going back to being a FTr.
Saw your tweet @acaltitude hahaha it showed up in my feed
Old Dec 7, 2019, 4:39 pm

171is a gate at T1 in YYZ. Pilots do not use the terminal gate number when AC ground control tells them where to go on arrival. 171 is at the most southerly point of the international hammerhead. Probably gate E71 for pax inside.
Bohemian1 and rage like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.