Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Just achieved 50K; Questions about mileage runs YYZ - HKG to achieve 100K

Just achieved 50K; Questions about mileage runs YYZ - HKG to achieve 100K

Old Nov 18, 19, 7:49 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: YYZ, LGA, LAX, PVG & CDG
Programs: AC E50K, Shangri-La Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, & NEXUS
Posts: 47
Just achieved 50K; Questions about mileage runs YYZ - HKG to achieve 100K

Hello everyone,

A couple of days ago, I reached 50K. I've got two questions:

Question 1:

I'm looking to make three round trips from YYZ to HKG consecutively. Tentatively Dec 16 - 18, 19 - 21 and 22-24 all in paid Business Class. My question is, can I get away with this scenario: upon landing in Hong Kong, go through customs and back to the gates to hop on the plane again? Is the time too tight? Any recommendations?

Question 2:

Since I recently reached 50K, would I qualify for the threshold gift and e-upgrades?

Thanks!

Last edited by Swiftler; Nov 18, 19 at 7:57 am Reason: Signature Business Class
Swiftler is offline  
Old Nov 18, 19, 8:00 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Posts: 5,433
I don't quite understand your question above.
From the dates indicated, you seem to want to spend 1 day in HKG each way. But you are asking about an immediate return???
If you depart Dec 16, you arrive HKG Dec 17, and can do a same day turn, departing and arriving on Dec. 17.
There are 2 hours between the arrival and departure. You would not have to go through immigration or customs;
you just go through transit security. That should be feasible in your time frame. Easiest if you have your return boarding pass
before arrival so you do not have to line up at the transit desk.
IluvSQ is offline  
Old Nov 18, 19, 8:08 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 71
Yes you can in theory turn around; however, ensure your checked in for the return (I assume with no bags) before you depart YYZ so you have no issues getting offloaded if your inbound is late but they don't push back the checkin for the outbound and ensure your legitimately able to enter the country if something does get wrong such as you getting held up. That is one heck of a mileage run. Wouldn't it make more sense to move to January and just get instant recognition when you hit 100k the next year?
flyquiet and codfather like this.
yowcat is offline  
Old Nov 18, 19, 8:10 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 71
For Question 2 - I assume OP is E35 and just received instant recognition to E50. I don't believe that qualifies for any of the threshold gifts since it would be based on your E35 status.
yowcat is offline  
Old Nov 18, 19, 8:26 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: YWG
Posts: 2,172
This sounds crazy, but I guess this is Flyertalk...

The Kit Kat’s are nice, but their not worth that much craziness
etkuo, Dreamlifter and 42000ft like this.
hydrogen is offline  
Old Nov 18, 19, 8:46 am
  #6  
RZR
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: YUL
Programs: AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
Posts: 1,181
Must really like the Black luggage tags...
RZR is offline  
Old Nov 18, 19, 9:26 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: YYZ most of the time
Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Posts: 3,892
Originally Posted by Swiftler View Post
Hello everyone,

A couple of days ago, I reached 50K. I've got two questions:

Question 1:

I'm looking to make three round trips from YYZ to HKG consecutively. Tentatively Dec 16 - 18, 19 - 21 and 22-24 all in paid Business Class. My question is, can I get away with this scenario: upon landing in Hong Kong, go through customs and back to the gates to hop on the plane again? Is the time too tight? Any recommendations?

Question 2:

Since I recently reached 50K, would I qualify for the threshold gift and e-upgrades?

Thanks!
If you just crossed the threshold for 50K, you shouldn’t need 3 paid J round trip YYZ-HKG to get you over the threshold for 100K.

2 will get you close enough (perhaps over if you route through YUL and YVR each way) that if you’re short you could do something much shorter and cheaer
unclepants and Swiftler like this.
yyz_atc_qq is offline  
Old Nov 18, 19, 9:52 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: YYZ
Programs: TK *G
Posts: 2,115
Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq View Post
If you just crossed the threshold for 50K, you shouldn’t need 3 paid J round trip YYZ-HKG to get you over the threshold for 100K.

2 will get you close enough (perhaps over if you route through YUL and YVR each way) that if you’re short you could do something much shorter and cheaer
+1. YYZ-YVR-HKG RT in J lands you over 25K AQM, so 2 trips are enough.

Since both AC15/16 and AC7/8 use the same plane, you should safely make the connection, or in this case, return. If you have the boarding pass for the return flight all you need to do is to clear the transfer security.
songsc is offline  
Old Nov 18, 19, 10:01 am
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Posts: 16,885
Originally Posted by Swiftler View Post
Hello everyone,

A couple of days ago, I reached 50K. I've got two questions:

Question 1:

I'm looking to make three round trips from YYZ to HKG consecutively. Tentatively Dec 16 - 18, 19 - 21 and 22-24 all in paid Business Class. My question is, can I get away with this scenario: upon landing in Hong Kong, go through customs and back to the gates to hop on the plane again? Is the time too tight? Any recommendations?

.....Thanks!
@Swiftler

1. There is a Mileage Run thread

Mileage Runs for Status & Missing AQM/AQS/AQD


2. You did not state your departure point, and there are differences if you are flying AC 15/16 or 7/8 or a combination.

If you already booked your flights you would know the arrival and departure times and thus, if you were planning a same day turn, you would have the timing details. If you are, you do not enter Hong Kong, you go through transfer security and back to your gate - which depends on which return flight you chose.

I've done many of these and have a specific plan when I do.
24left is online now  
Old Nov 18, 19, 10:42 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Posts: 5,433
Originally Posted by 24left View Post
@Swiftler


2. You did not state your departure point, and there are differences if you are flying AC 15/16 or 7/8 or a combination.
Yes he did - title is : Just achieved 50K; Questions about mileage runs YYZ - HKG to achieve 100K
IluvSQ is offline  
Old Nov 18, 19, 10:44 am
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Posts: 16,885
Originally Posted by IluvSQ View Post
Yes he did - title is : Just achieved 50K; Questions about mileage runs YYZ - HKG to achieve 100K
@IluvSQ
Thanks!!!!
24left is online now  
Old Nov 18, 19, 10:48 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: YYZ most of the time
Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Posts: 3,892
Originally Posted by IluvSQ View Post
Yes he did - title is : Just achieved 50K; Questions about mileage runs YYZ - HKG to achieve 100K
Originally Posted by 24left View Post
@IluvSQ
Thanks!!!!
while it would be reasonable to assume that.....in reality the origin was not explicitly stated. I also assumed (hopefully correct,y) that the departure city would be YYZ.
24left likes this.
yyz_atc_qq is offline  
Old Nov 18, 19, 11:00 am
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: YYZ, LGA, LAX, PVG & CDG
Programs: AC E50K, Shangri-La Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, & NEXUS
Posts: 47
Originally Posted by IluvSQ View Post
I don't quite understand your question above.
From the dates indicated, you seem to want to spend 1 day in HKG each way. But you are asking about an immediate return???
If you depart Dec 16, you arrive HKG Dec 17, and can do a same day turn, departing and arriving on Dec. 17.
There are 2 hours between the arrival and departure. You would not have to go through immigration or customs;
you just go through transit security. That should be feasible in your time frame. Easiest if you have your return boarding pass
before arrival so you do not have to line up at the transit desk.
Thanks for your response. I apologize for not being so clear. I actually don't want to spend a night in Hong Kong. I wasn't sure that 2 hours between arrival and departure is sufficient in time but thanks for letting me know it is possible. As for the return boarding pass, I wasn't able to get a return boarding pass via the Air Canada app when I was in Shanghai. Can you or anyone confirm I can get the return boarding pass using the Air Canada app in Hong Kong?
Swiftler is offline  
Old Nov 18, 19, 11:03 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: YYZ most of the time
Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Posts: 3,892
Originally Posted by Swiftler View Post
Thanks for your response. I apologize for not being so clear. I actually don't want to spend a night in Hong Kong. I wasn't sure that 2 hours between arrival and departure is sufficient in time but thanks for letting me know it is possible. As for the return boarding pass, I wasn't able to get a return boarding pass via the Air Canada app when I was in Shanghai. Can you or anyone confirm I can get the return boarding pass using the Air Canada app in Hong Kong?
I’m doing a 15/16 direct turn at this moment (currently a few hundred miles NE of Val d’Or) and I was able to check in for the return as soon as it was 24hrs before 016’s departure time. I got the desk agent to print out my return bp just so I have a physical copy but the pass is in the app and also in my apple wallet
yyz_atc_qq is offline  
Old Nov 18, 19, 11:04 am
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Posts: 16,885
Originally Posted by Swiftler View Post
Thanks for your response. I apologize for not being so clear. I actually don't want to spend a night in Hong Kong. I wasn't sure that 2 hours between arrival and departure is sufficient in time but thanks for letting me know it is possible. As for the return boarding pass, I wasn't able to get a return boarding pass via the Air Canada app when I was in Shanghai. Can you or anyone confirm I can get the return boarding pass using the Air Canada app in Hong Kong?
If the connection time is allowed when you go to book, then you're fine. Transfer security at HKG is the easiest (just like at NRT, TPE and ICN).

I was able to get my return BPs in HKG on my phone, but then if you arrive without one, you won't be able to go through transfer security as you have to show it there, at least based on my experiences.

P.S. Advice from personal experience. Fly AC 15, take a break at HKIA if you don't want the rush and fly back on AC 8 and 126. Nets 24,386 AQM in J.
.
Diabeetus likes this.
24left is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: