Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Premium Rouge vs United Business - best of the worst?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2019, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Hello

i will e travelling from LIR and have following options:

premium rouge on The 767

or

united business (LIR-ORD) on 737-800

which one is better? (Or the “less worst” option)

thanks
Old Nov 9, 2019, 7:58 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by WGretzky
Hello

i will e travelling from LIR and have following options:

premium rouge on The 767

or

united business (LIR-ORD) on 737-800

which one is better? (Or the “less worst” option)

thanks
When choosing between two mediocre products, I will always choose the one with the most favourable schedule.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 8:31 am
dxl

Programs: AC*E75K, National EE
LIR is my secondary airport, and I've flown both products. They are essentially the same.
What is your final destination? If it is YYZ, then LIR-ORD-YYZ on UA will require clearing US CBP at ORD in T5, then a schlep over to T1/T2 for the ORD-YYZ segment.
WGretzky likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dxl
LIR is my secondary airport, and I've flown both products. They are essentially the same.
What is your final destination? If it is YYZ, then LIR-ORD-YYZ on UA will require clearing US CBP at ORD in T5, then a schlep over to T1/T2 for the ORD-YYZ segment.
thanks - i will be flying to YUL

might be more trouble to take UA

on another note how was the premium rouge service on board? Food? Also on the outbound flight will I get MLL access at YUL?
Old Nov 9, 2019, 9:42 am

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Ugg, I'm taking a rouge 763 tomorrow. IMO it's the worst equipment with a forward cabin in the fleet.

I flew it into MEX two weeks ago. Food out MEX was chicken or pasta. Beware the overhead bins.
WGretzky likes this.

Last edited by Nitehawk; Nov 9, 2019 at 9:47 am
Old Nov 9, 2019, 11:17 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
The rouge 763s are terrible. Absolute joke of a premium product. I'm very glad that my flight to LIR in a few months is on a 321.

Do you have NEXUS? If so, I'd probably go LIR-ORD-YUL, provided the schedule is reasonable and it's all on UA.

If you don't have NEXUS, I would say the UA product isn't sufficiently better to justify the extra hassle of the US transit.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 12:41 pm

Programs: AC S100K, HH Silver
Another factor to consider is your FF status -- unless the policy has changed, buying a J ticket on United does necessarily allow access to the United Clubs.

That said, I've flown the Rouge 763s to OGG and LGW and don't mind Premium Rouge. Is it worse than Mainline J TPAC/TATL, especially now with Signature? Definitely. Is it worse than Mainline J or PY domestic/NA? I don't think it is by much, if at all. And it's better than any Y product, especially if the price difference is manageable. And personally, I prefer the iPad IFE over the older IFE product.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 1:15 pm

I find Premium Rouge to be OK on the 319, but the seats are much narrower on the Rouge 763. UA 737-800 is probably UA’s weakest hard product, but the seat width is significantly better than the Rouge 763. If the schedule works for you, I’d lean towards UA.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by douglasr
Another factor to consider is your FF status -- unless the policy has changed, buying a J ticket on United does necessarily allow access to the United Clubs.
As it’s an International itinerary, United Club access is included. It would only be on a wholly US domestic trip where lounge access is not included.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 1:35 pm

Programs: AC S100K, HH Silver
Originally Posted by gcashin
As it’s an International itinerary, United Club access is included. It would only be on a wholly US domestic trip where lounge access is not included.
Oh! I did not know that. And is that for domestic and internationally located lounges?
Old Nov 9, 2019, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by douglasr
Oh! I did not know that. And is that for domestic and internationally located lounges?
Yes, domestic and Intl lounges as long as it’s part of an Intl itinerary in Business. So in the example OP is looking at for YUL-ORD-LIR, they would have lounge access at the YUL MLL and the ORD United Club.

As as a side note, the larger ORD UC is one of the better US domestic clubs, and has several hot entree options at mealtimes.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 7:02 pm

What's the price difference between the two options?
Old Nov 10, 2019, 6:57 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 21, 2020 at 8:26 pm
Old Nov 10, 2019, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by skybluesea
Agree, although We should distinguish here that Intl Biz means access to Polaris Lounge, not just United Club. Last week arrived ORD from MUC, enroute to YVR & Club rep. redirected me to PL, far better and the vaunted SSL at YYZ is NOT accessible inbound like this.
OP is specially talking about booking YUL-ORD-LIR, which is not a Polaris route, and is a narrowbody service. Polaris access is only for long haul overseas. Yes, agreed that the UA Polaris lounges are outstanding and the access at the connection points is a huge benefit as you can use it in both directions, but OP isn’t looking at a Polaris marketed flight, and would only have United Club access.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 10:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 21, 2020 at 8:25 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.