Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Regular AC (not Rouge) vs Transat: Your choice ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2019, 8:07 pm
Original Poster

Hi !
Family Flight to Paris and return from Lyon

Option 1 Transat:
Yul-CDG 21:50 departure .
2x2 seats at the back of a330 (180$ more) .
LYS-Yul 13:00 (let the systme select our seats for free) on a 3330-300 (9 seats wide)
3160$

Option 2 AIr Canada
YUL-CDG 20:50 departure
Select seats for free (since we are with kids) seats. 8 seats wide on the A330. So 2x2 seats everywhere in the plane.
LYS-YUL 10;30 (early !!) on the same a330
3410 $

Advantage of option 1: Less expensive (250$), better departure time from Lyon
Advantage of option 2: Air Canada ? 2x2 seat on both flights.

Thanks !
Old Oct 24, 2019, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Just so that we can potentially glean more information ourselves, which dates are the flights please?
How many children and what are their ages?
Are there any restrictions that you or your travel companions have?
Are there any requirements or preferences in terms of seating, pitch, accessibility to lavatories, quality of service, etc. that you or your travel companions have?

If price is the big factor for you, then TS... I have (actually) flown them before and it was bearable for a TATL. Their service is fine... seats were a bit crammed though...

If you want a little comfort in coach, then I'd probably do AC over TS, IMHO. (I'm assuming these aren't the Lions)
Old Oct 24, 2019, 9:55 pm
Original Poster

Hi yyznomad !

dates: july 10 to august 12
kids: 8 and 12 years old.
no restriction, we are small ( 5 foot 5 and 5 foot 7) and a bit chubby, but not obese.
No preferences or requirements.

The lions ?
Old Oct 24, 2019, 11:48 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by tostaky
Hi yyznomad !

dates: july 10 to august 12
kids: 8 and 12 years old.
no restriction, we are small ( 5 foot 5 and 5 foot 7) and a bit chubby, but not obese.
No preferences or requirements.

The lions ?
The Lions are a nickname for a series of aircraft that came over from TAP Air Portugal. TAP obtained them from Singapore. They are scheduled to be reconfigured to the standard AC layout but were put into service early with the previous owners configuration to handle the summer rush.

With small kids etc. I think Transat is fine. Not certain if the rules around adults sitting next to kids driving the free seat selection only apply to AC or they also apply to Transat.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 1:37 am

Programs: Curb Your Enthusiasm, Fraggle Rock
How long will any semblance of choice exist on YUL-LYS/CDG with AC's likely acquisition of TS?
Old Oct 25, 2019, 7:55 am

Programs: AC SE
Have you looked at AF? Might be another option. Or even Level?
Old Oct 25, 2019, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've flown both Transat and AC transatlantic, and I would say they were pretty similar overall. Transat had an 'Option Plus' option which includes a bag, seat selection, comfort kit, alcoholic drink, and works out pretty reasonably on top of the basic fare.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jasdou
Have you looked at AF? Might be another option. Or even Level?
Air France is more exepnsive....a lot !
Level is more or less the same price and force us to go back to Paris so no advantage here, the same goes with Corsair.

Our main bug with AC is really that we have to get up really early to get to the airport.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 9:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Are the LYS-Canada flights nonstop?

Just to be sure, you're giving the TOTAL prices for FOUR people in coach, right? Is some of this basic economy?
Old Oct 25, 2019, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Are the LYS-Canada flights nonstop?

Just to be sure, you're giving the TOTAL prices for FOUR people in coach, right? Is some of this basic economy?
Yes total price (in canadian $), all basic economy (we travel with only cabin luggage)and the LYS-YUL is direct.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 10:59 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by tostaky
Yes total price (in canadian $), all basic economy (we travel with only cabin luggage)and the LYS-YUL is direct.
Depending on where your staying in France. Geneva to Montreal on the return may also be worth looking at.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fiordland
Depending on where your staying in France. Geneva to Montreal on the return may also be worth looking at.
No deals there, and less direct flights options.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 4:13 pm

The seats on Transat are significantly narrower so they can get 9 across in an A330 instead of 8. When they drop down to 2-3-2 at the rear of the plane, that's because the fuselage is narrower back there, not because the seats are any wider. This may or may not be a big deal for you.

The other thing to consider is AC has a lot bigger fleet and can recover from irregular operations faster (weather, mechanical failures, etc.). If a plane is hours late or out of commission, AC is more likely to be able to swap a new aircraft into the schedule. With Transat, you will wait for the original plane.

For these reasons, I would take AC every time without a second's hesitation. But that's me.
flyquiet likes this.

Last edited by StuMcIlwain; Oct 25, 2019 at 6:21 pm
Old Oct 25, 2019, 4:22 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K/Star Alliance Gold, Accor Gold, base level Marriott/Hyatt/Hilton
Air Canada 100%, for pretty well every factor. 10% price increase is worth it.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyztozag
Air Canada 100%, for pretty well every factor. 10% price increase is worth it.
prices have change 2990 $ (Transat, no choices of seat)) vs 3410$ (Air Canada we can choose our seat with an agent))

Is Air Canada 420$ better ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.