Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Changing a one-way Aeroplan ticket after taking first flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2019, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Hi,
I have a one-way Aeroplan ticket that starts in YYZ and arrives in BKK via IAD and FRA (YYZ-IAD-FRA-BKK).
Currently YYZ-IAD is on AC I class, IAD-FRA is on UA I class, and FRA-BKK is on TG O class.
Overall my ticket is a first class ticket from Canada to South East Asia.

I think there's a chance that LH O class could open up on the IAD-FRA segment later, and if that's the case I'd like to change the second flight to LH F from UA J.
I realize I need to pay a change fee and additional YQ in this case, but I was wondering what would happen if I take the first flight from YYZ to IAD first and then call AP to change IAD-FRA to LH F.

I think I read somewhere in the past that making a change after taking at least one flight on an Aeroplan reward ticket doesn't result in recalculation of YQ, so one could use this as an advantage. (to save YQ on LH flights when changing from a non-YQ carrier to LH.)
However I am not sure if this is still the case, and also if this works on a one-way ticket instead of a round-trip ticket.
Does anyone know?

I have a long layover in IAD, so I should have enough time to call Aeroplan, make the change, and get the ticket re-issued with the new flights.
Thank you.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 10:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Do not depend on getting it without paying YQ. I've had it go both ways.

But it sounds like either way, you're flying to IAD, so I'd just wait until you arrive and then call.

You'll have to ensure you're not checked in for any remaining segments, but any UA agent can assist there.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 1:19 am

Programs: AC, US, AA, UA, BA, QF, DL...
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Do not depend on getting it without paying YQ. I've had it go both ways.
The last time I tried this I was also charged the fuel surcharge for changing to LH F.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies, I guess I'd have to assume I'd have to pay the additional YQ for LH F, in which case it's probably not worth it.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 9:23 am

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
I'd take LH since you've already spent the miles. But everyone has a different value system. I just did your routing but in the other direction...IAD-NRT (NH F), HND-BKK (TG F), BKK-FRA (TG F), FRA-IAD (LH F). That ticket had about 1k CAD in taxes and YQ.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nitehawk
I'd take LH since you've already spent the miles. But everyone has a different value system. I just did your routing but in the other direction...IAD-NRT (NH F), HND-BKK (TG F), BKK-FRA (TG F), FRA-IAD (LH F). That ticket had about 1k CAD in taxes and YQ.
1K CAD in YQ is actually lower than what I would expect from your flights, but nevertheless those are some good flights - hope you enjoyed them!
You have a good point that I already paid the miles for a first class ticket...now I need to rethink my approach.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by agjil
1K CAD in YQ is actually lower than what I would expect from your flights, but nevertheless those are some good flights - hope you enjoyed them!
You have a good point that I already paid the miles for a first class ticket...now I need to rethink my approach.
As an example, I booked SFO-IAH-FRA online. (UA/LH)

Then I called and added FRA-BKK (TG) -NRT (TG) -LAX (NH) -SFO (UA).

I got a pretty sizable refund when I added the rest.

BKK is a "relatively" cheap destination for YQ compared to FRA.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

As an example, I booked SFO-IAH-FRA online. (UA/LH)

Then I called and added FRA-BKK (TG) -NRT (TG) -LAX (NH) -SFO (UA).

I got a pretty sizable refund when I added the rest.

BKK is a "relatively" cheap destination for YQ compared to FRA.
Oh yeah, I forgot YQ also depends on the destination, and not just on the departing city, so the YQ change shouldn't be too dramatic.
Thanks, now I feel better about switching to LH, haha.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 1:35 pm

Still, since you're going to IAD either way, I think you should just cancel your remaining checkins, call, they'll quote you a price, and you can decide then. I wouldn't worry before that.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 6:20 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
They have definitely closed the loop hole on not re-calculating fuel surcharges once the journey has begun. The exception is if it is an involuntary reschedule they won't recalculate.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 8:13 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
keep in mind in addition to being unchecked for your next segmemts you need to have changes done with more than 2 hours before your next unflown flight segment. So ideally you'd have a long IAD layover...
No checked bags should go without saying.

Aeroplan has bent the rules for me as SE but mostly due to irops or agent error recovery earlier in the day.

3yrs ago, they changed me to a last minute LH O ticket (first class), LH then downgraded and refused to let us sit in first class. stupid reason: not enough catering. So we refused to fly. Aeroplan bought us paid LH F the next day for tens of thousands lc dollads.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Still, since you're going to IAD either way, I think you should just cancel your remaining checkins, call, they'll quote you a price, and you can decide then. I wouldn't worry before that.
Thank you again, I will definitely follow the process you suggested.

Originally Posted by yyzgigi
They have definitely closed the loop hole on not re-calculating fuel surcharges once the journey has begun. The exception is if it is an involuntary reschedule they won't recalculate.
Aw that's too bad, but that's good to know, thanks.

Originally Posted by expert7700
keep in mind in addition to being unchecked for your next segments you need to have changes done with more than 2 hours before your next unflown flight segment. So ideally you'd have a long IAD layover...
No checked bags should go without saying.

Aeroplan has bent the rules for me as SE but mostly due to irops or agent error recovery earlier in the day.

3yrs ago, they changed me to a last minute LH O ticket (first class), LH then downgraded and refused to let us sit in first class. stupid reason: not enough catering. So we refused to fly. Aeroplan bought us paid LH F the next day for tens of thousands lc dollads.
My layover is quite substantial in IAD as I actually need to take care of something in the area during my transit (I purposely chose a long connection), so hopefully it will work out fine at the end.
Thanks for the additional comments-
Old Oct 29, 2019, 1:23 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
You shouldn't have to pay a change fee on this, YQ/taxes maybe, but it's a class of service upgrade which shouldn't result in a change fee.

That said, I'm not sure I'd try and do this after starting the ticket. I wouldn't be surprised if once you're checked in you get a run around as to who's duty it is and then throw in that it's miles and it gets more complicated, then throw in that the miles are being used on a partner airline, not the home airline, that makes it worse.

Check for availability obsessively in the days leading up to the flight. Maybe subscribe to Expertflyer and set an alert. Don't be surprised if F space opens like one or two days before, if it does, then call, if not...you might be stuck with J.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 5:56 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by drvannostren
You shouldn't have to pay a change fee on this, YQ/taxes maybe, but it's a class of service upgrade which shouldn't result in a change fee.
But it's not just a class of service change. OP would be changing from the UA IAD-FRA flight to the LH IAD-FRA flight, so it's a flight change as well, which would trigger a change fee.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 9:36 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
But it's not just a class of service change. OP would be changing from the UA IAD-FRA flight to the LH IAD-FRA flight, so it's a flight change as well, which would trigger a change fee.
OHHH in that case you're spot on, I didn't catch that OP was on UA, I read it as LH to LH.

My bad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.