Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Air Canada $1k gift card for 85,000 aeroplan miles - worth it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Air Canada $1k gift card for 85,000 aeroplan miles - worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2019, 3:58 am
ecc
Original Poster

Programs: Air Canada/Aeroplan E50K, Mariott Gold Elite, Hotels.com Gold, Best Western Diamond Select,
Air Canada $1k gift card for 85,000 aeroplan miles - worth it?

Hi all,
I saw there's a promotion till the 25th offering the $1k AC gift vard via aeroplan for 85k points.
Now I know normally the ROI on gift cards is garbage (and 8.5 cpm is a bit ouch) but is it worth it?
It's pretty much like cash money in that I don't need to hunt for I class availability, and can book in any class I want, and get milage on those flights.
With the upcoming uncertainty re AC buying aeroplan, seriously debating it.
OTOH round trip to say, HND, in J(I) from YFC is 150 in fixed miles rewards, and 2* gift card is about half that value of one way in J.

Thoughts?

Edit: messed up a decimal point, oops. 85k miles/1k gift card

Last edited by ecc; Sep 21, 2019 at 6:08 am
Old Sep 21, 2019, 5:11 am

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
If it really was 8.5K miles for $1000 it would be one hell of a deal, 85K on the other hand is not great. If you need the AQM/AQD for status or can't find availability then it might make sense for you.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 6:07 am
ecc
Original Poster

Programs: Air Canada/Aeroplan E50K, Mariott Gold Elite, Hotels.com Gold, Best Western Diamond Select,
Sorry, my bad, 85k like in the thread title, not 8.5k like in the post. Have not had coffee yet will edit post accordingly.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 8:48 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
I mean it’s a good deal vs $50 for I believe 6750... But I can think of much better uses for 85k miles worth far more than $1k even with scam fees.

Assuming has the time, money and ability etc to travel...
Old Sep 21, 2019, 9:46 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
OP, this actually works out to a bit under 1.2 cpm ($1,000 / 85,000 miles = ~1.176 cpm).

If the post above is correct about the usual price for a gift card being $50 for 6,750 miles, that's about 0.7 cpm and this is therefore a great deal in relative terms.

But it really depends on how you usually use the miles. Relative to many flight rewards, especially those in business class, 1.2 cpm is a poor return. But if you struggle to use your points for flights and end up burning them on things like toasters or gift cards (or, God forbid, burn 60K + hundreds of dollars of YQ for Y tickets to Europe that you could have had for $700), this is actually a pretty good deal.
canadiancow and kalderlake like this.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 9:49 am

Programs: IHG Gold
My thoughts:

Good deal if you are an infrequent flyer who does not know how to search for "good" awards and utilize FT

Bad deal if you are a FT regular.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 9:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
People for whom it might make sense are those who want to use miles for an award ticket but also need to earn status miles from the trip for elite qualification.

Otherwise, most people should be able to redeem at better than 1.2 cents per mile (which seems to implicitly include redeemable miles earned on tickets purchased using gift cards).
Old Sep 21, 2019, 10:11 am
ecc
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
OP, this actually works out to a bit under 1.2 cpm ($1,000 / 85,000 miles = ~1.176 cpm).
Yup. Sorry, was half asleep when posted.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
It costs C$0.03 to buy an AE mile so 85K would cost C$2,550. 85K AE miles can get a one-way business class ticket to Asia, Australia, Africa Europe or South America (most with AEs left over) that would cost at least C$1,500, more likely twice that (and on most airlines without the horrendous surcharges found on AC or LH flights). Or at least three one-way North American business flights (with 10K left over) that go for at least C$1,500 each. So you figure out how bad a value that C$1,000 gift card really is. (The same poor value can be found in most non-flight redemptions.)
Old Sep 22, 2019, 1:17 am
Original Member

According to other threads Air Canada gift cards are ALWAYS a bad idea regardless of what you pay for them.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 9:31 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
You could get to Africa in business class for 75,000 miles; arguably that's worth much more than $1,000.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 6:04 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
You could get to Africa in business class for 75,000 miles; arguably that's worth much more than $1,000.
Only if you want/need to go to Africa.
172pilot and ecc like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.