Wiki Posts
Search

Cancelling a flex fare booking...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2019, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
Cancelling a flex fare booking...

So I booked flights from YYT-YYR about two weeks ago. I ended up being a victim of high prices about a month prior to departure, as the prices have gone down considerably since I booked (looks like AC is trying to fill some empty seats).

Would it be worth my time at all to cancel for a future flight credit and rebook? If that is even allowed. The itinerary is over $200 cheaper now when compared with two weeks ago!
Old Sep 9, 2019, 7:13 pm

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
Book the new ticket for the lower price and then cancel the old one. You'll have a credit for the full value and will pay a change fee ($50 or $25 depending on how far in advance you cancel) when you use the credit.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

I will do that! But my only concern is that if I book it now won't the system flag something for the same name and Aeroplan number being on the same flight?

canadiancow any experience with this?
Old Sep 9, 2019, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Just book the new flight and cancel your old one as soon as it's ticketed. There won't be any issue.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 7:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by codfather
I will do that! But my only concern is that if I book it now won't the system flag something for the same name and Aeroplan number being on the same flight?

canadiancow any experience with this?
No need to tag me. I've read every post in this forum in the past 6 years, and I comment when I have something to add.

I don't cancel non-refundable tickets.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Santander
Just book the new flight and cancel your old one as soon as it's ticketed. There won't be any issue.
I can book it now anyway as I would have 24 hours to cancel in the event that anything got messed up.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 9:30 pm

If it were me I’d just fly the ticket already purchased unless a) the savings were significantly cheaper than the added cost that will need to be paid for the change fees and b) I knew for sure I’d purchase a future ticket of equal or greater value to the credit.

The ticket is non refundable. The money is now with AC. If you find a future flight and the value is less than the credit, the price difference is forfeited and you still have to pay the change fee. I’ve had a few cancelled flights due to changes in plans where I’ve subsequently struggled to use a credit as the alternate flights would have been cheaper than my credit.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 10:49 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by canadiancow
No need to tag me. I've read every post in this forum in the past 6 years, and I comment when I have something to add
Will keep this in mind. Mea culpa.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
Will keep this in mind. Mea culpa.
but you're not even the OP!

Also @OP have you tried just calling AC to see what they say? They can probably instantly reprice you the ticket and deduct the change fee and you know how you end up.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 11:56 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by Smiley90

Also @OP have you tried just calling AC to see what they say? They can probably instantly reprice you the ticket and deduct the change fee and you know how you end up.
Excess value resulting from a change to a non-refundable ticket is forfeited.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by eigenvector
Excess value resulting from a change to a non-refundable ticket is forfeited.
TIL, I've never had to do that on AC. Did that just two months ago on CI and got money back when the price dropped... Assumed the same would work on AC. huh.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Looks like this isn't an option
Old Sep 10, 2019, 6:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YEG USER
If it were me I’d just fly the ticket already purchased unless a) the savings were significantly cheaper than the added cost that will need to be paid for the change fees and b) I knew for sure I’d purchase a future ticket of equal or greater value to the credit.

The ticket is non refundable. The money is now with AC. If you find a future flight and the value is less than the credit, the price difference is forfeited and you still have to pay the change fee. I’ve had a few cancelled flights due to changes in plans where I’ve subsequently struggled to use a credit as the alternate flights would have been cheaper than my credit.
I have opted to just leave it as is...

Not worth the headache to save just over $100!
Old Sep 10, 2019, 6:51 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE100K, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, BW Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by codfather
I have opted to just leave it as is...

Not worth the headache to save just over $100!
Worth it for EYW
Old Sep 10, 2019, 7:55 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
True, but I tag CC all the time.
codfather likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.