Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Which reward itinerary should I choose YYT - RSW in October?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2019, 9:33 pm
Original Poster

I'm booking a reward flight from YYT - RSW in October and only have two crappy options to choose from. I know both have very tight connections but would love to hear others opinions on the best option.

Option 1: YYT - YUL - IAH - RSW. Only a 45 minute connection in Houston and changing from Air Canada to United flight.

Option 2: YYT - YYZ - IAH - RSW. Only an 1:10 minute connection in Toronto. My flight from YYT departs at 5am, decreasing the chance of a delay from YYT.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 9:37 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE100K, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, BW Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
You will have to clear US customs in YYZ forget it in 1:10, so I would say option 1 with carry-on only ideally
Old Aug 29, 2019, 9:48 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by theBeachBoy
You will have to clear US customs in YYZ forget it in 1:10, so I would say option 1 with carry-on only ideally
Nuts. I regularly do this in 25 minutes gate to gate. If you have Nexus and don’t use the connection security line but use the regular security (as if you are originating in YYZ) this is easy.

Last edited by ridefar; Aug 29, 2019 at 10:28 pm
Old Aug 29, 2019, 9:55 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE100K, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, BW Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by ridefar

Nuta. I regularly do this in 25 minutes gate to gate. If you have Nexus and don’t use the connection security line but use the regular security (as if you are originating in YYZ) this is easy.
True I didnt think of Nexus and I try to not fly with US connections as much as possible (I am in the US every weekend but go through a non-nexus road Port of entry)

What about without Nexus times?
Old Aug 29, 2019, 10:04 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
OP, do you have NEXUS/GE? That would make the YYZ connection much easier.

45 minutes at IAH is tight, but it's not a hard terminal to transit. Flying AC in and out of IAH kind of sucks because they only have 1-2 gates available to them depending on the time, so if there are delays or maintenance issues, you can get stuck on the tarmac for a long time waiting for a gate. Even if a bunch of nearby UA gates are sitting empty. Although the good news for you is it's usually the YYC flight that gets the shaft.

If you have NEXUS/GE and want to manage the risk of misconnecting, I'd go with the YYZ option, as long as you can stand the 5AM YYT departure.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 10:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
OP, do you have NEXUS/GE? That would make the YYZ connection much easier.

45 minutes at IAH is tight, but it's not a hard terminal to transit. Flying AC in and out of IAH kind of sucks because they only have 1-2 gates available to them depending on the time, so if there are delays or maintenance issues, you can get stuck on the tarmac for a long time waiting for a gate. Even if a bunch of nearby UA gates are sitting empty. Although the good news for you is it's usually the YYC flight that gets the shaft.

If you have NEXUS/GE and want to manage the risk of misconnecting, I'd go with the YYZ option, as long as you can stand the 5AM YYT departure.
Unfortunately, I don’t have Nexus/GE. One flight departs at 5am and the other 6am so the early morning flight doesn’t make a difference.

Old Aug 29, 2019, 10:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ridefar

Nuta. I regularly do this in 25 minutes gate to gate. If you have Nexus and don’t use the connection security line but use the regular security (as if you are originating in YYZ) this is easy.
I’ll be booked in business class. Do you know if they have priority security lines for Business class?
Old Aug 29, 2019, 10:28 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by rok233

I’ll be booked in business class. Do you know if they have priority security lines for Business class?
I have had Nexus for almost 10 years now. I’m sorry but I honestly have no idea what transiting YYZ is like without it. I have rarely seen lines that I think would be a problem for you but I am no authority.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 7:58 am
Original Poster

I still can't make a decision on which flight to choose. How are the customs and security lines at YYZ usually on a Saturday morning at 7:00 am?
Old Aug 31, 2019, 11:15 am

Is there a non stop YYZ-RSW that AC can book you on if you misconnect?
Old Aug 31, 2019, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tracon
Is there a non stop YYZ-RSW that AC can book you on if you misconnect?
Yes but it’s 8 hours later and business class is already sold out. Even economy looks to be close to full.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by rok233
I still can't make a decision on which flight to choose. How are the customs and security lines at YYZ usually on a Saturday morning at 7:00 am?
Probably the busiest time of the week along with Monday morning coming in a close second.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.