Question: Segment run needed

Old Aug 25, 19, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50k, BA Silver
Segment run needed

Iím an E50K whoís had a quiet year. With only 19 (low mileage) segments through August, I need to get creative if Iím to book 26 segments by end of year !

In Q4 I need to go YYZ/LHR twice. To inflate the segment count I found YTZ/YUL/EWR/BRU/GVA (fare basis KLA78LGT) returning MUC/BRU/EWR/YUL/YTZ (LLA78LGT). Thatís 10 segments on UA ticket stock for CAD$950.

Do you have any recommendations how I might maximise my dollar:segment ratio ? Adding segments within Canada, or beyond 4 connections seems to increase the fare.
Old Aug 25, 19, 9:19 pm

Programs: AC 50K, WS Rewards, DL SkyMiles, UA MP, Priority Pass, AMEX MR, NEXUS, H-Honors Silver, M-Bonvoy
I'd be worried about getting the required AQD flying on any Star Alliance airlines; you will only get your AQS/AQM. I would go on google flights and find some interesting multi-city routings for cheap! Or just hope for a schedule change/IRROPS that will allow you to change to almost anything you want!
Old Aug 26, 19, 4:19 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips !

AQD are surprisingly healthy ... I did a bunch YUL trips which may have been Ďoverpricedí.

wrt Google Flights, are there any interesting combinations youíve seen in past ?

Originally Posted by codfather View Post
I'd be worried about getting the required AQD flying on any Star Alliance airlines; you will only get your AQS/AQM. I would go on google flights and find some interesting multi-city routings for cheap! Or just hope for a schedule change/IRROPS that will allow you to change to almost anything you want!
Old Aug 26, 19, 7:42 am

Programs: aeroplan SE, bonvoy peon
If I were in your shoes, I'd accept my 20 segments for the LHR trips, wait for Earn Your Wings to start, and book a couple of uncomfortable multi-segment trips to Victoria or Atlantic Canada while the weather's still good.
Seat13F_AC_CRJ and codfather like this.

Last edited by biglinguist; Aug 26, 19 at 8:04 am Reason: realized OP had two trips!
Old Aug 26, 19, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit, HH Diamond, Hyatt Glob, Accor Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by biglinguist View Post
If I were in your shoes, I'd accept my 20 segments for the LHR trips, wait for Earn Your Wings to start, and book a couple of uncomfortable multi-segment trips to Victoria or Atlantic Canada while the weather's still good.
Nah I think that's a horrible idea
Old Aug 26, 19, 11:07 am

Programs: AC 50K, WS Rewards, DL SkyMiles, UA MP, Priority Pass, AMEX MR, NEXUS, H-Honors Silver, M-Bonvoy
Originally Posted by dodgy73 View Post
Thanks for the tips !

AQD are surprisingly healthy ... I did a bunch YUL trips which may have been Ďoverpricedí.

wrt Google Flights, are there any interesting combinations youíve seen in past ?

I have seen some interesting ones...

My friend @marke190 is flying YYT-YLW followed by YLW-YYC (same-day, and with lots of segments of course). I found a multi-segment routing back to YYT when AC made a schedule change. I was able to change to YZR-YYZ-YUL-YOW-YHZ-YYT, which was a routing I found on Google Flights! I originally had YZR-YYZ-YOW-YYT, so this one was much better in terms of maximizing my segments.
Old Sep 3, 19, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Hi everyone, I rang United to book my 10 segment r/t to London, but the ticket agent believes she can only enter 6 slight segments on a single ticket.

Any my suggestion how I can override this and get them to book all 10 ?

i have the flight details from matrix.itsoftware

#help !
Old Sep 3, 19, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit, HH Diamond, Hyatt Glob, Accor Gold, UA Silver
If you can reproduce it on Google Flights, it should be bookable via a single click through to UA (or AC?)

There is definitely no 6 segment limit. It's 16.
Old Sep 3, 19, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
If you can reproduce it on Google Flights, it should be bookable via a single click through to UA (or AC?)

There is definitely no 6 segment limit. It's 16.
i managed to generate a slightly different itinerary on United.com and have booked it.

Still 10 segments, though I wonít change in GVA... I wanted to do that for a ride on an A220.

Anyway, ticketed and ready to go.

Thanks for for the advice !
canadiancow likes this.
Old Sep 3, 19, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by dodgy73 View Post
Iím an E50K whoís had a quiet year. With only 19 (low mileage) segments through August, I need to get creative if Iím to book 26 segments by end of year !

In Q4 I need to go YYZ/LHR twice. To inflate the segment count I found YTZ/YUL/EWR/BRU/GVA (fare basis KLA78LGT) returning MUC/BRU/EWR/YUL/YTZ (LLA78LGT). Thatís 10 segments on UA ticket stock for CAD$950.

Do you have any recommendations how I might maximise my dollar:segment ratio ? Adding segments within Canada, or beyond 4 connections seems to increase the fare.

@dodgy73

BTW, there is a Master thread for runs

Mileage Runs for Status & Missing AQM/AQS/AQD

The wiki shows

Bohemian1 likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: