Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Probability of reward seat opening in a currently empty plane YVR-YUL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2019, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Gold

I need to book reward on a specific flight from YVR-YUL in May 2020 and there is no reward available in either Y or J. What's strange is from looking at the seat map, only 1 seat in J is occupied and Y is completely empty. Is there a good chance that more seats in either class will open up as the weeks progress? I'm thinking of setting up a alert in expertflyer. Does AC release award inventory sporadically as the flight date nears? Thoughts?
Old Aug 22, 2019, 9:56 am

Programs: Altitude E50K / *G
Originally Posted by bichoo
What's strange is from looking at the seat map, only 1 seat in J is occupied and Y is completely empty.
The seat map is not a good indicator of load. Not everybody selects a seat.

Is there a good chance that more seats in either class will open up as the weeks progress? I'm thinking of setting up a alert in expertflyer. Does AC release award inventory sporadically as the flight date nears
Apparently it is "dynamic" inventory so seats could be released at any time (they also may not be)
eigenvector likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Currently booked on an itinerary for which one leg looks very nearly empty. That leg has changed twice so far but no notification and the file needs cleaning up; I suspect they are in no rush because they expect further changes. I have my old seat assignment and until the file gets cleaned up I cannot change it to the new equipment seat plan. (Current seats don't exist on that plane) So many of the earlier seat assignments are just not there but in reality the plane is not empty. Anyway my point is, if the plane looks unreasonably empty, it probably is not in reality.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 10:36 am

Programs: AC SEMM; AA,DL, Hyatt and Starwood. Ex-status:SQ PPS,CSA,Hilton,AA,UA
AC does not release seats for points on the basis of "how full is this flight now" but on the basis of "what does our yield management predict we will be able to sell on this flight" combined with "what are our obligations how many seats to release systemwide vs what will it likely cost us to instead release seats on some other flight". AC also does not, in general, release additional seats on an ongoing basis, though I have seen it do it occasionally. I hypothesize those were special situations where their yield management refreshed the model for that flight. (In situations I have seen, it was always due to flight or equipment realignment on that route, not merely "we're not selling as many seats for $ as we thought".)

All of this means that unless you're willing to wait for a broad schedule/equipment realignment and *hope* for a resultant rejigger, I would just assume this flight will not be available and make alternative arrangements. You can then monitor, manually or on EF, and be prepared to make a change if availability does open up.

This is all for conventional Aeroplan availability. If you have Priority Access, that availability is more complicated and (partially) linked to actual sold capacity, and as a result somewhat more dynamic. And all bets are off for what *might* change going forward since Air Canada will be tinkering with the AP program in coming months in a way which is clearly both policy- as well as implementation/system linkage-driven.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 11:44 am

I'm thinking of setting up a alert in expertflyer.
Expertflyer will not show you availability specific to Aeroplan. Keep checking on the Aeroplan site.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 12:13 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Nevermind
Old Aug 22, 2019, 2:45 pm

You could always book a seat on a flight you don't want.
Hope for a schedule change to get the flight you want.
Maybe book a flight with a tight connection and/or a Max segment.
canadiancow and JordanYVR like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.