Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

CBC Article - Mom, daughter kicked off Air Canada plane, not told they're banned

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CBC Article - Mom, daughter kicked off Air Canada plane, not told they're banned

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2019, 2:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Stranger
But to what extent is that story is, shall be say, embellished? That sounded like an excuse for refusing.
"Someone's already sitting there" is a pretty good excuse in my books.

Originally Posted by Stranger
As long as it's $0.50 cheaper, (or appears to be so) people will continue flying AC anyway. Except if banned of course... But back to the issue, in the current scenario until proven otherwsie I give the crew the benefit of the doubt. Even if initially the FA was wrong it's clear that the exchange escalated, the passengers were rude, to the point where the captain had to get involved. Otherwise the police would not have been called.
I've been on two flights where a captain decided someone would not be flying.

In both cases, the captain never left the flight deck, and based his decision entirely on the FA's word.

In one of those cases, I was the passenger, but the entire exchange started with me saying "I'm not feeling great and don't think I should fly", so I think getting the captain involved was unnecessary as I did not WANT to fly.

In the other case, the pax allegedly wouldn't obey crew instructions. But again, the captain just took the FA's word for it.

So don't assume the captain "got involved" beyond passing the message from the FA to the police.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Really? So you've never seen a FA go on a power trip and retaliate against customers for no justifiable reason?
Exactly.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 2:41 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by canadiancow
"So I said ok I will move but where, since there is a child in my seat."
Saying you will move is a very different thing than actually moving. The proper response would be to stand up, free the seat the FA is currently dealing with, and stand in the aisle beside ones assigned seat.

Boarding isn't musical chairs.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 2:48 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
"Someone's already sitting there" is a pretty good excuse in my books.

I've been on two flights where a captain decided someone would not be flying.

In both cases, the captain never left the flight deck, and based his decision entirely on the FA's word.

In one of those cases, I was the passenger, but the entire exchange started with me saying "I'm not feeling great and don't think I should fly", so I think getting the captain involved was unnecessary as I did not WANT to fly.

In the other case, the pax allegedly wouldn't obey crew instructions. But again, the captain just took the FA's word for it.

So don't assume the captain "got involved" beyond passing the message from the FA to the police.
In my work I can easily make decisions based on the input of others. I would assume a captain has that skill set as well.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 2:51 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by RangerNS
Saying you will move is a very different thing than actually moving. The proper response would be to stand up, free the seat the FA is currently dealing with, and stand in the aisle beside ones assigned seat.

Boarding isn't musical chairs.
Proper according to what rules? Please supply a source, ideally as part of the AC CoC, even though most customers never read it and inexperienced travelers might not even know that there is such a document? I don't think Emily Post ever offered an opinion on this situation.

Your rule, etiquette standard, or law--whichever it's supposed to be--would result in someone (in this case, the daughter) standing in the aisle and blocking it during the boarding process, which often isn't good and can tend to delay departure. She also would be moving her carry on items around once again, possibly for no reason.

TravellingSalesman likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by mapleg
In my work I can easily make decisions based on the input of others. I would assume a captain has that skill set as well.
Sure, and I don't think I'd want the captain and the FAs disagreeing over stuff like this.

My point is more that "the captain got involved" doesn't mean "an impartial peace officer made an impartial decision". It just means it was escalated, and the captain (obviously) backed the FA.
vernonc, wrp96, gcashin and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 3:13 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Sure, and I don't think I'd want the captain and the FAs disagreeing over stuff like this.

My point is more that "the captain got involved" doesn't mean "an impartial peace officer made an impartial decision". It just means it was escalated, and the captain (obviously) backed the FA.
Captain backs the FA every time, well almost every time. They do not want to deal with the stuff in the back. And they definitely do not want a pissed off crew.
In this case seems like AC made the decision based on the word of the FA. I very much doubt that they could have done even a cursory investigation or read anything anyone would have sent in within 24 hrs.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 3:21 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat

If the Captain is involved, I would assume the decision he or she want to keep the passenger on the flight or not. I would also expect given the emphasis placed on human factors and decision making on the flight deck that the captain would ask for and take into account the feedback from the flight attendants.

The decision to ban this family from future flights, is that a decision that captain can make? My guess is probably not, there is someone at HQ that likely reviews the reports from the field and makes that decision.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 3:22 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
To me, issuing a lifetime ban for two people based on (direct) information from one probably inexperienced FA is really over the top. The same holds for calling the cops, especially in some foreign country where dealings with police could be very different from standards in Canada.
Twickenham and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 3:54 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Originally Posted by vernonc
Captain backs the FA every time, well almost every time. They do not want to deal with the stuff in the back.
I can't find it now but years ago a pilot posted on FlyerTalk explaining why they really can't intervene in disputes between the cabin crew and passengers. It ultimately came down to the fact they have things to do during the boarding process and none of them include dispute resolution.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by Error 601
I can't find it now but years ago a pilot posted on FlyerTalk explaining why they really can't intervene in disputes between the cabin crew and passengers. It ultimately came down to the fact they have things to do during the boarding process and none of them include dispute resolution.
Sorry, but I think it's worth a couple minutes of pilot time before a customer is banned for life. It might not be very important to the employees (beyond the involved FA being able to gloat and reflect on how important she must be with all that power to use solely at her discretion), but it can be very significant for the passenger.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 4:38 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
And is a ban for life truly that?

Rumours are that some FTers have been banned for various bad acts, yet still seem to be flying. So can the ban be reversed?
Old Aug 19, 2019, 4:40 pm

Someone could take AC to court.......
Old Aug 19, 2019, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
And is a ban for life truly that?

Rumours are that some FTers have been banned for various bad acts, yet still seem to be flying. So can the ban be reversed?
"Constantin and Paun can try to get their flying ban lifted by writing Air Canada and promising they won't behave badly again. Constantin said she won't be doing that because they have no future plans to fly with the airline."

Sign the undertaking, return it to AC, ban lifted.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 5:18 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
"Constantin and Paun can try to get their flying ban lifted by writing Air Canada and promising they won't behave badly again. Constantin said she won't be doing that because they have no future plans to fly with the airline."

Sign the undertaking, return it to AC, ban lifted.
I guess I missed / forgot about this many posts ago - thanks.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
To me, issuing a lifetime ban for two people based on (direct) information from one probably inexperienced FA is really over the top. The same holds for calling the cops, especially in some foreign country where dealings with police could be very different from standards in Canada.
Would be over the top indeed. Which is precisely why I expect there has to be more to the story in addition to the one-sided fairy tale we heard so far.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.