Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC employees travelling in Y getting upgrades to J

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC employees travelling in Y getting upgrades to J

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2019, 9:12 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by 24left
Would you like the links now, or later?
Probably not a good idea to reignite that fire even if the major actors have left the scene. (Wonder how AF/KLM handle upgrades??!!)
Old Aug 15, 2019, 9:16 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Am I the only one who takes issue with the grammar of this sentence “However, a balance must be struck between comfort, fashion.”?

Anyway, I wonder how many of them got a deflated seat.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 9:19 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by fin 645
Probably not a good idea to reignite that fire even if the major actors have left the scene. (Wonder how AF/KLM handle upgrades??!!)
Perhaps. Except if you read Ben's reply, I interpret it that it can also apply to employees and those on buddy passes.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23733955-post1158.html
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 10:45 am

Programs: *$ Green
Travelling under some ID/ZED fares on a SBY basis is just a gigantic PITA.

That traveller is probably going to regret being insistant like that.

Certain Airlines have policies that even if you fly ZED J, if you are with children under X years old, you get auto rebooked to Y. And that's it, sucks to be you.

So in this case, the ZED/SBY traveller (it may not be an AC employee as a lot of different people travel SBY) pretty much violated 3 rules:
  1. Never argue with gate/check-in staff
  2. Dress code
  3. J cabin with kids

Wouldn't be surprised if they get blacklisted from travelling ZED on AC, if not losing ZED access entirely...

This is also why some Airlines don't even issue boarding passes to ZEDs. They ask them to sit by the check in counter until the last minute and only then issue the BP. Saves the gate a lot of trouble. Oh and your checked bag? LOL YOLO.

That being said, to add a bit of spice to the discussion, not all ZED fares are created equal either. You could have a ZED J traveller that paid USD100.00, while a ZED Y traveller paid USD500.00, and another ZED J that paid USD1,500. And the USD1,500 has the lowest priority of them all. It's quite interesting.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK*S, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jc94
Am I the only one who takes issue with the grammar of this sentence “However, a balance must be struck between comfort, fashion.”?

Anyway, I wonder how many of them got a deflated seat.
None - classic pods
Old Aug 15, 2019, 10:14 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
Travelling under some ID/ZED fares on a SBY basis is just a gigantic PITA.

That traveller is probably going to regret being insistant like that.

Certain Airlines have policies that even if you fly ZED J, if you are with children under X years old, you get auto rebooked to Y. And that's it, sucks to be you.

So in this case, the ZED/SBY traveller (it may not be an AC employee as a lot of different people travel SBY) pretty much violated 3 rules:
  1. Never argue with gate/check-in staff
  2. Dress code
  3. J cabin with kids

Wouldn't be surprised if they get blacklisted from travelling ZED on AC, if not losing ZED access entirely...

This is also why some Airlines don't even issue boarding passes to ZEDs. They ask them to sit by the check in counter until the last minute and only then issue the BP. Saves the gate a lot of trouble. Oh and your checked bag? LOL YOLO.

That being said, to add a bit of spice to the discussion, not all ZED fares are created equal either. You could have a ZED J traveller that paid USD100.00, while a ZED Y traveller paid USD500.00, and another ZED J that paid USD1,500. And the USD1,500 has the lowest priority of them all. It's quite interesting.
Air Canada has bigger problems than enforcing ZED traveller abuse, like Super Elites abusing Maple Leaf Lounge access with Latitude fares.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 5:32 am

Programs: NEXUS; *A Gold
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
I agree with much of what you said. The way the employee/friend/whoever behaved is completely out of line.

I can't agree with lumping "top tier FFs" into this same group. For us, upgrades that we are in essence paying for with use of our credits is not a privilege - it is in fact an entitlement. There is a certain order that upgrades are to be processed, and if I caught a whiff of the upgrades being processed incorrectly resulting in me missing out, I'd be upset. I still wouldn't go at the GA as was done in this case, but I'd question him/her to be sure.
As for my reference to 'top tier FFs' i'm not directing it anyone in particular, but i've been witness to the DYKWIA types who berate the GA's with their 10 year old SE tags as if they're somehow entitled to preferential treatment because they don't like sitting in Y and believe they're entitled to a seat they didn't pay for in J simply because of the tattered bit of plastic on their carry-on. At the end of the day, ANY bad behavior like that by ANYONE needs to be dealt with accordingly and not excused based on some make believe sense of reciprocating loyalty to/from a brand. AC has shown over the years they're more than happy to dilute the benefits given to their supposedly loyal passengers so what is accomplished by throwing a tantrum like a toddler?
Old Aug 16, 2019, 5:35 am

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by keitherson
Air Canada has bigger problems than enforcing ZED traveller abuse, like Super Elites abusing Maple Leaf Lounge access with Latitude fares.
I'd argue that ZED travellers disrupting gate ops is probably more frequent / disruptive than the few sporadic MLL abusers 🤣
ffsim and canadiancow like this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 10:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Neil791
As for my reference to 'top tier FFs' i'm not directing it anyone in particular, but i've been witness to the DYKWIA types who berate the GA's with their 10 year old SE tags as if they're somehow entitled to preferential treatment because they don't like sitting in Y and believe they're entitled to a seat they didn't pay for in J simply because of the tattered bit of plastic on their carry-on. At the end of the day, ANY bad behavior like that by ANYONE needs to be dealt with accordingly and not excused based on some make believe sense of reciprocating loyalty to/from a brand. AC has shown over the years they're more than happy to dilute the benefits given to their supposedly loyal passengers so what is accomplished by throwing a tantrum like a toddler?
When I noticed the words I bolded, I thought you were talking about a specific person.

I'm glad you weren't
Old Aug 16, 2019, 4:23 pm

Programs: NEXUS; *A Gold
Originally Posted by canadiancow
When I noticed the words I bolded, I thought you were talking about a specific person.

I'm glad you weren't
What do they say during movies based on true stories.....any resemblance to real people/places is just a coincidence
Old Aug 16, 2019, 4:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Neil791
.....10 year old SE tags .....
Yup, bolding the word tags would have fixed that
Old Aug 16, 2019, 9:51 pm

Programs: TK *G
When I first saw the bolded part I thought someone mistyped an FTer’s name.

Back on topic, I hope that AC employee is not in a customer facing role. Or, let’s just say that giving how AC employees treat other AC employees, I am not surprised by how AC employees treat customers.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 8:05 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE100KMM, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
I'd argue that ZED travellers disrupting gate ops is probably more frequent / disruptive than the few sporadic MLL abusers 🤣
Am I missing something here? Surely a SE has MLL access whatever the fare basis?
Old Aug 18, 2019, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK*S, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Isotopist
Am I missing something here? Surely a SE has MLL access whatever the fare basis?
Perhaps when flying on non *A metal? Buying a latitude fare for lounge access and then refunding before flight??
Old Aug 18, 2019, 12:51 pm

I suggest OP to write in and bring it to the attention of AC management.

Remember the whole discounted/travel pass program for employees is a privilege not a right. Pressuring the gate agent for a favour is wrong.

Also because you are travelling on company or industry benefit, there is a dress code and is different from the public as they assume you are representing the company in some way. Regardless on how one wants to debate, you want the benefit go follow the rules.

if that employee wanted the full customer treatment, they are more than welcomed to buy revenue tickets like the general public.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.