Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC 15% off Economy worldwide one-day only 13Aug19

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC 15% off Economy worldwide one-day only 13Aug19

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2019, 10:28 pm

Programs: AC SE MM
Originally Posted by tomvancouver
If you have documentation of this would you be willing to make a complaint to the competition bureau?
I doubt it is that simple.

I was watching a set of P fares to Europe trying to make up my mind on dates. I saw the inventory begin to dwindle over a few hours. It seems large swaths of the inventory got marked P=0, and many of the non-RESTRICTED fares were disabled. For PE, I see a lot of new E=0 (the lowest PE fare bucket). I was not watching any economy buckets in last few days, so don't have a picture of what happened there. For instance P fares to Italy are suddenly selling only RESTRICTED P, the ones with "X" in their name, rather than 14 day advance "excursion", which don't seem to price out. Those are P fares, but they are on the expensive side (without any real benefit to the customer, I'll add, not even a reduced change fee).

I suppose the argument would be that AC can decide their pricing structure. Second argument would be this fare and bucket change is totally independent of the sale, oh no, that's a different division who did that, we didn't know!

But anyways a sale is called, and many people unwittingly buy a higher bucket. The 10% or 15% discount against base fare, combined with the higher bucket and fare selection, ends up costing more. It doesn't cost more on all fares or routes, some people believe they got deals. And maybe a few routes don't get the bucket and fare reduction. To be convincing, some people must feel they won.

Then maybe it looks like a normal "the market is working as intended" buyer-beware incident.

All of this is my guess.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 10:36 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by mountainboy

I was watching a set of P fares to Europe trying to make up my mind on dates. I saw the inventory begin to dwindle over a few hours. It seems large swaths of the inventory got marked P=0, and many of the non-RESTRICTED fares were disabled. For PE, I see a lot of new E=0 (the lowest PE fare bucket). I was not watching any economy buckets in last few days, so don't have a picture of what happened there. For instance P fares to Italy are suddenly selling only RESTRICTED P, the ones with "X" in their name, rather than 14 day advance "excursion", which don't seem to price out. Those are P fares, but they are on the expensive side (without any real benefit to the customer, I'll add, not even a reduced change fee).

I suppose the argument would be that AC can decide their pricing structure. Second argument would be this fare and bucket change is totally independent of the sale, oh no, that's a different division who did that, we didn't know!

But anyways a sale is called, and many people unwittingly buy a higher bucket. The 10% or 15% discount against base fare, combined with the higher bucket and fare selection, ends up costing more. It doesn't cost more on all fares or routes, some people believe they got deals. And maybe a few routes don't get the bucket and fare reduction. To be convincing, some people must feel they won.

Then maybe it looks like a normal "the market is working as intended" buyer-beware incident.

All of this is my guess.
You could guess yourself out of making a complaint, or you could do it anyways and let the Competition Bureau do what they will with the information. Certainly, one complaint is unlikely to be acted upon, but multiple complaints may bear more weight. Perhaps you can be the straw that breaks the camel's back

Old Aug 14, 2019, 12:35 pm

Programs: AC SE

All of this is my guess.
With the comments and guesses about AC manipulating fares during sales, I decided to go back on AC.com and have a look at the fares today to compare them with yesterday's fare. Base fare was exactly the same. I redid the math and I did save 10% off the base fare for my PY outbound and 15% off my base faire for my Flex return.

I don't "believe I got a deal", I know I got one and am happy with it.
tcook052 and canadiancow like this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 2:00 pm

Programs: AC75 MM
Originally Posted by jasdou
With the comments and guesses about AC manipulating fares during sales, I decided to go back on AC.com and have a look at the fares today to compare them with yesterday's fare. Base fare was exactly the same. I redid the math and I did save 10% off the base fare for my PY outbound and 15% off my base faire for my Flex return.

What they have done in the past is to keep the (artifically) higher fare for a few days to a week, before dropping it back to pre-sale prices. Suggest you look again in a couple of weeks and report back please.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 2:06 pm

I don’t think anyone is saying it’s blanket. For me, I booked a CDG flight and know I got 10% off what was the fare the day before. For the other destination I was looking at in Italy, it went up overnight by $800 so a 10% code still results in a higher fare. it might be coincidence of course.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by lallied
I don’t think anyone is saying it’s blanket. For me, I booked a CDG flight and know I got 10% off what was the fare the day before. For the other destination I was looking at in Italy, it went up overnight by $800 so a 10% code still results in a higher fare. it might be coincidence of course.
Yes Italy is a good example. Continues to price far higher than normal today. Maybe the bucket/fare change which is unrelated to the coupon doesn't stop at the same time as the coupon ends? /sarc
Old Aug 14, 2019, 2:27 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by lallied
Fair enough. My own trip is to LHR.

But fare availability comes and goes outside of promo periods too. That’s the art of revenue management.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 3:51 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Those who see the same price today as yesterday, did you input the promo code in the OP when you priced it yesterday? This 15% off did NOT appear for me (as the AC site implied it would) until I input that code.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 3:58 pm

Fair enough. My own trip is to LHR.

But fare availability comes and goes outside of promo periods too. That’s the art of revenue management.
Yup. However had been pretty steady for a week For a week or more, and at 6 PM one night it was $800 cheaper than 12 hours later when I checked when the offer came up with the early morning tweet.

Just because you’re (me not you ) paranoid doesn’t mean sometimes it isn’t real ! Nonetheless it’s entirely feasible that they were just doing an overnight sweep of a number of things. I have noticed it before tho
jasdou likes this.

Last edited by lallied; Aug 14, 2019 at 10:28 pm
Old Aug 14, 2019, 9:35 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Another data point.

I’ve also been following routes for upcoming flights. I got a TATL yesterday that was definitely 10% off with the code. Confident about this because I had detailed notes on the itinerary for 6 weeks and including today. On the other hand, the YYZ-LHR (J) route went up by $800 each way a day before the “sale” and remains at that level.

I also moved on several transborder flights that definitely reflected the “sale” price. Again, have detailed notes over a few months.

Too bad I missed the earlier raptors discount — 15%.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 12:00 pm

Programs: AC75 MM
I booked two flights on Tuesday. One is now 10% more than the price I had paid (10% discount for a PE flight) - so 'as advertised'
But the other is now the same price as I had paid after the 15% discount. As the flight is months away I doubt if the inventory suddenly shrank. So it looks like the price was inflated by 15% just for a day or so.
To be fair to AC the terms and conditions included a disclaimer that the price may be less before/after the offer.
But it adds up to a distrust between customer and merchant, which isn't good. Especially with a recession looming. And competition from WS.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by tomvancouver
I booked two flights on Tuesday. One is now 10% more than the price I had paid (10% discount for a PE flight) - so 'as advertised'
But the other is now the same price as I had paid after the 15% discount. As the flight is months away I doubt if the inventory suddenly shrank. So it looks like the price was inflated by 15% just for a day or so.
To be fair to AC the terms and conditions included a disclaimer that the price may be less before/after the offer.
But it adds up to a distrust between customer and merchant, which isn't good. Especially with a recession looming. And competition from WS.
More than 24 hours after the coupon expired, P availability is starting to improve. However the ability to combine end-on-end with *A and other partners inside Europe remains severely curtailed or broken. LH resells by AC are discount P, but AC metal with empty seat maps are 4x the price. Huh? Some combinations are simply impossible, and if possible they price into J/D. ITA matrix and AC disagree wildly about availability.

Saw a glitch where AC844 showed J3...P2, tried to book it, which failed in the final stages of booking. How does J3...P2 even happen on that route.

Maybe these problems are due to a step of Amadeus integration....

I agree on the distrust angle.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ITA matrix and AC disagree wildly about availability.
What happens when trying to redirect from Matrix to AC using the script?
Old Aug 15, 2019, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger
What happens when trying to redirect from Matrix to AC using the script?
For many many routes I tried, it bombs after entering CC. Expertflyer and Matrix see availability, AC allows you all the way through, some final validations fail.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 1:06 pm

Programs: *G
The current "Europe Fall Sale" is a bit of a joke. Some fares shown are good for a random week, and many in the middle of next summer. The page also shows "Winter" (labelled Hiver yesterday) fares that are mostly next summer. I have also discovered that I can book a decent PY fare departing from YTZ, but if I want to return to YYZ, the outbound increases dramatically to the much higher fare that is showing for a YYZ departure. And looking at the latter does not seem to want me to fly thru YUL even though it appears to be wide open. Going to a European destination thru FRA. Last I looked also, it was P0 on everything.

Well that was a bust. Got to payment for the PY fare but system says "there was a problem wit the flights you selected" Like what?

Last edited by fin 645; Aug 15, 2019 at 2:29 pm Reason: Booking problem

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.