Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade questions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2019, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Why would anyone click the "Details" link ???

It says "Direct". Every other flight on the page says "1 stop". A reasonable person (and I'm using the legal term here) would assume if 5 flights say "1 stop", and 1 flight says "Direct", then that flight does not have "1 stop".

To answer the actual questions, PY gets you zone 2 boarding, and I would not be too concerned. I highly doubt there will be a line to board when you get off the flight, since there's grooming and catering. If you go "direct" from plane to the zone 2 line, you'll be first in line.
Originally Posted by RangerNS
Direct vs non-stop makes perfect intuitive sense when applied to trains or buses; it would be an interesting question if someone was confident enough in their ignorance to make it a case regarding airline advertising.

I know the wording says one "may" have to deplane, but "will" they? And for reference (YUL may be a great exemplar) does this matter if the international area of the airport is isolated?

Do they drag the A/C from a DOM gate to INTL?

Where do the PAX flying only the DOM section go when they deplane? Are such PAX even allowed? YYZ-YVR-TPAC has a long enough first hop they may wish to stuff it full of DOM PAX, with operational pain in YVR, YYZ-YUL-TATL, short enough they might let the seats go unused for the want of an extra set of hallways in YUL.
I take it back... the OP was bamboozled by AC! How dare they!
Old Jul 14, 2019, 10:38 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..

It says "Direct". Every other flight on the page says "1 stop". A reasonable person (and I'm using the legal term here) would assume if 5 flights say "1 stop", and 1 flight says "Direct", then that flight does not have "1 stop".

Perhaps you just don't understand why anyone would click details. Not all fliers know everything they need to about flying. Not all of them know the many resources available beyond the AC website. Some don't understand the difference between non-stop and direct. Not all those who come to FT for help understand the things many of us do. Equally important is not everyone sees the world and an airline website the same way, nor do they process information they see the same way.

I prefer to help someone with visual elements as all the work done in my industry proves that most people understand that better than sentences and such.

I am one who clicks the "Details" link on occasion when I forget to set the filters when I am looking on the AC website flight listing page.

When AC redesigned their website to look like giant Lego block and removed some of the information that was viewable on the old site, like flight number and aircraft type, they then added in the option to select it. Idiotic IMHO, but it is what it is.

While some here might work with ITA Matrix, Google Flights, ExpertFlyer and AC's website in tandem, others don't even know about various options.

The objective here is to help someone who is less familiar with booking and perhaps flying than many. I did so my way, others added in links as well. We all have our ways of helping without criticizing the type of solutions offered or the way in which they are presented.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 10:50 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)

It says "Direct". Every other flight on the page says "1 stop". A reasonable person (and I'm using the legal term here) would assume if 5 flights say "1 stop", and 1 flight says "Direct", then that flight does not have "1 stop"...
I disagree. Just because we know the minutia of all things travel, the average person does not. How many threads have we read where someone got tripped up by reading ‘direct’ and thinking it was just that - a direct flight, which to them means it goes from A-B without stopping on the way? The average Joe would not even notice the difference in the presented flights or see that one said non-stop and one said direct. We would, sure. But most people? Not a chance. They would notice something that says 1 stop or that shows a connection point but the technical difference between direct and non-stop is lost on the average, once a year traveller.

Big case in point is the China TWOV thread. A huge number of people have been caught out by the Chinese airlines who make a stop in China on their way elsewhere. It is sold as PEK-ICN for example, but in reality, it stops in WUH or somewhere. If you don’t click on the details, even seasoned travelers can and do miss it.

I think 24left’s post was extremely helpful, as usual. Consistently one of the most helpful members of this forum by far.
Bohemian1 and jasdou like this.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Finkface
I disagree. Just because we know the minutia of all things travel, the average person does not. How many threads have we read where someone got tripped up by reading ‘direct’ and thinking it was just that - a direct flight, which to them means it goes from A-B without stopping on the way? The average Joe would not even notice the difference in the presented flights or see that one said non-stop and one said direct. We would, sure. But most people? Not a chance. They would notice something that says 1 stop or that shows a connection point but the technical difference between direct and non-stop is lost on the average, once a year traveller.

Big case in point is the China TWOV thread. A huge number of people have been caught out by the Chinese airlines who make a stop in China on their way elsewhere. It is sold as PEK-ICN for example, but in reality, it stops in WUH or somewhere. If you don’t click on the details, even seasoned travelers would miss it.

I think 24left’s post was extremely helpful, as usual. Consistently one of the most helpful members of this forum by far.
My understanding from what @canadiancow meant was that because all the other flights displayed shows "1 Stop", a FOTSG would see the one showing "Direct" as something that doesn't have "a Stop" in their mind and thus not even giving it a second thought. I think that's what he meant.

But yeah, I don't think AC is out to trick the OP.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 2:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yyznomad
My understanding from what @canadiancow meant was that because all the other flights displayed shows "1 Stop", a FOTSG would see the one showing "Direct" as something that doesn't have "a Stop" in their mind and thus not even giving it a second thought. I think that's what he meant.

But yeah, I don't think AC is out to trick the OP.
I don't even think this would just fool a FOTSG. I could see myself being tripped up by it.

Even Aeroplan search results make it very clear that your flight has a stop.

Here's the summary page. It shows 1 stop for all options.

Nowhere does it say "Direct" on AC 834. In fact, the only way you'd even know it wasn't two individually marketed segments is if you were to click "DETAILS", at which point, you'd see:

And then it still says there's a stop.

This is not misleading at all. AC's results page, on the other hand, is quite misleading.

As for AC trying to trick people, I will once again refer to Hanlon's razor. But you can certainly mislead customers without intending to mislead customers, and it's still bad.

And in this case, because of how it's presented in concert with all the "1 Stop" options, I think a strong case could be made for misleading advertising.
dr_torch and canopus27 like this.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 2:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
I don't even think this would just fool a FOTSG. I could see myself being tripped up by it.

Even Aeroplan search results make it very clear that your flight has a stop.

Here's the summary page. It shows 1 stop for all options.

Nowhere does it say "Direct" on AC 834. In fact, the only way you'd even know it wasn't two individually marketed segments is if you were to click "DETAILS", at which point, you'd see:

And then it still says there's a stop.

This is not misleading at all. AC's results page, on the other hand, is quite misleading.

As for AC trying to trick people, I will once again refer to Hanlon's razor. But you can certainly mislead customers without intending to mislead customers, and it's still bad.

And in this case, because of how it's presented in concert with all the "1 Stop" options, I think a strong case could be made for misleading advertising.

Thanks for clarifying.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At least it's the same plane. I remember other airlines marketing a single flight number, i.e. "direct" with a change of equipment... Nothing new under the sun, really. Just like AC33/34. As someone said, like trains or buses. Stops but same train.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

I once again want to say thank you for all the information.
I appreciate the comments as until I reached out to you frequent flyers I had no idea based on the information AC provided me, when I was scheduled to arrive in Montreal and when I am to depart Montreal. Sorry never used (or knew of) Google flight.
Also in readying other threads I now see that I must depart in Montreal as there is a fear somebody might mistakenly not exit the plane in Montreal and end up in Europe.
I found it very interesting how Aeroplan sees it as a stop but AC sees landing, being required to leave the plane, re-boarding and taking off again as being direct.
My opinion (which everybody is permitted to have one) is that AC has a very liberal definition of the word "direct".
Me I am going to the office tomorrow, going to work 10 hours and then going to a dinner meeting. Guess I will tell the wife tomorrow I am going direct to a dinner meeting.

Perhaps AC in the interest of not being seen as misleading the buying public might want to adjust their information from, may be required to exit the aircraft, to will be required to exist the aircraft.
Probably not too difficult to adjust the wording on the site, again only if they want to be accurate / truthful.
Thanks again
Old Jul 15, 2019, 3:35 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by dans0202
I once again want to say thank you for all the information.
I appreciate the comments as until I reached out to you frequent flyers I had no idea based on the information AC provided me, when I was scheduled to arrive in Montreal and when I am to depart Montreal. Sorry never used (or knew of) Google flight.
Also in readying other threads I now see that I must depart in Montreal as there is a fear somebody might mistakenly not exit the plane in Montreal and end up in Europe.
I found it very interesting how Aeroplan sees it as a stop but AC sees landing, being required to leave the plane, re-boarding and taking off again as being direct.
My opinion (which everybody is permitted to have one) is that AC has a very liberal definition of the word "direct".
Me I am going to the office tomorrow, going to work 10 hours and then going to a dinner meeting. Guess I will tell the wife tomorrow I am going direct to a dinner meeting.

Perhaps AC in the interest of not being seen as misleading the buying public might want to adjust their information from, may be required to exit the aircraft, to will be required to exist the aircraft.
Probably not too difficult to adjust the wording on the site, again only if they want to be accurate / truthful.
Thanks again
AC didn’t invent the concept of ‘direct’ flights. This is an industry-standard term. More info here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_flight
Old Jul 15, 2019, 9:21 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
The key is direct isn't the same as non-stop. Realistically direct (like this one) isn't a major hassle, you get off the plane, wander around, then board it again. At least it's after a short flight before the long one.

It's not like you can miss your connection as except in very rare cases (where for example something goes wrong on landing) you would just get back on the same plane. And being PE you will get Zone 2 boarding so very unlikely to have issues with your bag.
I've even done direct flights with two stops where I've left my stuff on board (though I'd not recommend leaving certain things on board). I've even stayed on the plane once for fueling.

Does the advertising suck? Yes in my opinion. But it's not unique to AC.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 11:31 am

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by jc94
The key is direct isn't the same as non-stop. Realistically direct (like this one) isn't a major hassle, you get off the plane, wander around, then board it again. At least it's after a short flight before the long one.

It's not like you can miss your connection as except in very rare cases (where for example something goes wrong on landing) you would just get back on the same plane. And being PE you will get Zone 2 boarding so very unlikely to have issues with your bag.
I've even done direct flights with two stops where I've left my stuff on board (though I'd not recommend leaving certain things on board). I've even stayed on the plane once for fueling.

Does the advertising suck? Yes in my opinion. But it's not unique to AC.
100% ^

a) Direct and Non-Stop are industry terms that have been in use for decades. They’re a bit out of fashion now, but back when aircraft range was shorter “direct” was exceedingly common.

b) The chance you can’t get your bag in the overhead in PE is approximately 0%. I’ve never seen it occur, or even be close to occurring, on an Air Canada PE TCON, TATL or TPAC in many dozens of such flights over the last couple of years.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 11:56 am

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Hi @dans0202 - the under-seat space in the PE cabin is quite limited. Only very small bags will fit, however as others have pointed out, you should't have any trouble finding bin space when seated in PE.

Also, boarding will be scheduled for 45-50 minutes prior to departure. You should indeed have time to visit the Intl MLL in YUL... assuming you have access.
--
13F

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.