Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

No show on first leg of basic ticket - return forfeited?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2019, 7:15 am
Original Poster

Hi folks,

My younger brother is flying to visit me in YHZ in a couple of weeks. He's on a basic economy ticket, flying from YYT to YHZ, and then the return is YHZ to YDF.

Turns out he won't need to use the YYT to YHZ leg, but still the return to YDF. If he is a no show for the YYT to YHZ leg, will his return to YDF be forfeited?

Thanks for the help!
Old Jul 12, 2019, 7:35 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
If you no show for the first leg, assume everything is forfeited
Old Jul 12, 2019, 7:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
That is the case for all tickets, not merely Basic.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 10:40 am

It's one of the reasons to book oneways rather than return tickets, whenever feasible.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 10:57 am

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by Derian
Hi folks,

My younger brother is flying to visit me in YHZ in a couple of weeks. He's on a basic economy ticket, flying from YYT to YHZ, and then the return is YHZ to YDF.

Turns out he won't need to use the YYT to YHZ leg, but still the return to YDF. If he is a no show for the YYT to YHZ leg, will his return to YDF be forfeited?

Thanks for the help!
Because these are one way fares, I believe you can call in to voluntary forfeit the first leg (if booked on AC.com).

This way you will have piece of mind, and know it's taken care of.

This is unlike many international fares, which are round trip fares, and hence why missing the first leg means the entire ticket is forfeited.

Note: you cannot forfeit part of a through fare.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 1:16 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by sokolov
It's one of the reasons to book oneways rather than return tickets, whenever feasible.
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
Because these are one way fares, I believe you can call in to voluntary forfeit the first leg (if booked on AC.com).
For the reader: Domestic and TB (and maybe "sun"?) routes have been sold as two one way tickets for... decades ... true of Canadian and US carriers.

I too theorize you could call in and forfeit the outbound half. Maybe even get credit for it. For sure they would tell whats what.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 1:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Wouldn't there be a ticket change fee which might be more than the remaining value? Also, wouldn't the return reprice as a OW at current not historical fares if the ticket is changed before departure?

OTOH, if the flight is delayed, cancelled, or its schedule changes, it should be easy to get a full refund for the outbound segment only and retain the return flight.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Wouldn't there be a ticket change fee which might be more than the remaining value? Also, wouldn't the return reprice as a OW at current not historical fares if the ticket is changed before departure?

OTOH, if the flight is delayed, cancelled, or its schedule changes, it should be easy to get a full refund for the outbound segment only and retain the return flight.
Yes, this is my experience. Within NA, attempting to cancel the first half of a round trip will trigger a change fee and repricing of the remaining segments at current fares. A good reason to go through the extra clicks to book two one-ways when your plans are not yet fully confirmed.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 1:48 pm

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Just call AC and cancel the first leg. For a basic fare you forfeit the fare. For Standard fares and above you get a credit. For domestic fares there are no return requirements. Ie. the return leg won’t be repriced. There are no cancellation fees. AC only charges change fees when you actually use the credit. There will be no credit for a basic fare anyway.

I did did the last year for my son. 5 minute call to AC.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by 172pilot
Just call AC and cancel the first leg. For a basic fare you forfeit the fare. For Standard fares and above you get a credit. For domestic fares there are no return requirements. Ie. the return leg won’t be repriced. There are no cancellation fees. AC only charges change fees when you actually use the credit. There will be no credit for a basic fare anyway.

Interesting. AC refused to do this for me (domestic, Tango/standard fare) but I'll be the first to say that AC agents are consistently inconsistent. Certainly worth a call to cancel then and maybe even a HUCA if it doesn't work.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by 172pilot

Wait wait.

If you cancel the outbound, you cannot just keep it for future use. The coupons would have to be used in sequence.

So the only way to do this would be to first change your outbound to something else that happens after the inbound, then cancel that.

You can cancel the inbound and keep for future use instead of forfeiting, but that also means the rules to use that "credit" will be different.

Generally, if you forfeit the outbound of a domestic/TB, you won't have to re-price since it will still technically consider the original POS as your original city. If the agent says it has to be exchanged and re-priced, no. This is .A special situation for domestic TB only.

Sun destinations are weird. Theyre priced as one ways, but to combine on a round trip basis. It's weird. But all you need to know is that you shouldn't assume it's like TDomestic/TB just because it's "one way".
Old Jul 12, 2019, 6:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is not the pricing as one-ways which matters, it is that they are multiple segments on the same ticket. AC expressly requires that all segments be flown in the order issued. No different on other NA carriers for the most part.
tcook052 likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
It is not the pricing as one-ways which matters, it is that they are multiple segments on the same ticket. AC expressly requires that all segments be flown in the order issued. No different on other NA carriers for the most part.
One way pricing definitely matters.

Airline couldn't care less if you bought a one way ticket and forfeit it. They care if you buy a RT to use one way when they arent willing to sell you a cheap one way.
canadiancow and RangerNS like this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
One way pricing definitely matters.

Airline couldn't care less if you bought a one way ticket and forfeit it. They care if you buy a RT to use one way when they arent willing to sell you a cheap one way.
That may be true for international. However NA RT is basically the sum of two OW. To the point that because of tax/surcharge issues sometimes it is actually cheaper and more flexible to buy two separate tickets.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 11:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Stranger
That may be true for international. However NA RT is basically the sum of two OW. To the point that because of tax/surcharge issues sometimes it is actually cheaper and more flexible to buy two separate tickets.
At the risk of getting even more off-topic, YYZ-SFO-YYZ is (or maybe "was", but the fares still look the same) significantly cheaper than either SFO-YYZ-SFO or two one-ways. Needless to say, I have:
SFO-YYZ
YYZ-SFO-YYZ
YYZ-SFO-YYZ
YYZ-SFO

I didn't investigate the exact cause of this. I know there are certain tax issues with "Canada within ~100 miles of the border" to US flights, as well as other implications. But the savings were significant enough that I booked non-sensible round-trips for three treks to Toronto.

So all I can say is do your research when booking. Sometimes a round-trip, even within North America, is cheaper. Sometimes it isn't.
jc94 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.