Wiki Posts
Search

Strange Seat Sensation

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2019, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
Strange Seat Sensation

I was on a 777 and 787 in Economy last week, and experienced something I never had before. I am not as frequent a flyer as some on here, but I do get around with roughly 20 segments per year.

Both instances involved the person behind me putting something in the seat pocket in front of them. The first time it was a strapping older gentleman who must have shoved something quite large in the pocket which resulted in a rather jarring poke in my lower back. Once deposited, the object continued to protrude and apply uneven and uncomfortable pressure to the same area. I asked him nicely, explaining the situation, and he removed whatever it was.

The second was a young lady, and the sensation was that of someone gently massaging me, but was only temporary.

It certainly felt that portion of the seat has only a layer or two of fabric. I have flown a fair share of low-cost airlines, but this was a first.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by bambinomartino
I was on a 777 and 787 in Economy last week, and experienced something I never had before. I am not as frequent a flyer as some on here, but I do get around with roughly 20 segments per year.

Both instances involved the person behind me putting something in the seat pocket in front of them. The first time it was a strapping older gentleman who must have shoved something quite large in the pocket which resulted in a rather jarring poke in my lower back. Once deposited, the object continued to protrude and apply uneven and uncomfortable pressure to the same area. I asked him nicely, explaining the situation, and he removed whatever it was.

The second was a young lady, and the sensation was that of someone gently massaging me, but was only temporary.

It certainly felt that portion of the seat has only a layer or two of fabric. I have flown a fair share of low-cost airlines, but this was a first.
I'm not sure what your point is... I think what you are saying is that this is an AC-only thing and doesn't happen on any other mainline carriers and only discount carriers aside from AC.

FWIW, this sort of thing has happened to me in AC Y, AC J, UA Y, UA J, LH C (even with slimline), LH Y (slimline), TP C, US Y (when it was still around), DL Y, AA Y, SN C, JP C, KL C, TK C, and SK C.

This is certainly not an AC-specific/LCC/ULCC thing.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 10:10 am

Programs: AC 75K
I usually find I can feel when people are putting things into the seatback behind me - or even just pulling the magazine out. I'd expect that on the slim 777/787 seats, but notice it as well on the older seats on the 320/321s. From my experience, I don't think it's abnormal to feel movement from the seat pocket.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by WesternCDN
I usually find I can feel when people are putting things into the seatback behind me - or even just pulling the magazine out. I'd expect that on the slim 777/787 seats, but notice it as well on the older seats on the 320/321s. From my experience, I don't think it's abnormal to feel movement from the seat pocket.
I was surprised by the "hi def" feeling of it. It wasn't a blunt or general kind of sense that there was movement back there, it was as if there was no real physical barrier between the contents of the pocket and my lower back. Well, not as if, there definitely wasn't other than the fabric of the seat cover. It may have been the older fellow's robust movement that made me notice it this time, I don't know.

Many low-cost airlines don't even have seat pockets, and the solid plastic shell extends the whole length of the seat back. These Lufthansa A380 seats are another example.

WesternCDN likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 10:43 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by bambinomartino
Both instances involved the person behind me putting something in the seat pocket in front of them. The first time it was a strapping older gentleman who must have shoved something quite large in the pocket which resulted in a rather jarring poke in my lower back. Once deposited, the object continued to protrude and apply uneven and uncomfortable pressure to the same area. I asked him nicely, explaining the situation, and he removed whatever it was..
He was probably just trying to warm up some frozen fruit or butter from his AC breakfast tray.
flyquiet and gcashin like this.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
He was probably just trying to warm up some frozen fruit or butter from his AC breakfast tray.
You win.
FWP sucks, doesn't it!

Last edited by yyznomad; Jul 5, 2019 at 11:00 am
Old Jul 5, 2019, 11:12 am

Programs: AC SE
I am disappointed. I came here hoping this would be another thread about lost adult toys on AC aircraft.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 11:14 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Or possibly just a nice soft warm AC bread roll. Otherwise known as a cold rock.

Originally Posted by jasdou
I am disappointed. I came here hoping this would be another thread about lost adult toys on AC aircraft.
I thought it might be about deflated seats and wondered why it hadn't been merged
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jc94
Or possibly just a nice soft warm AC bread roll. Otherwise known as a cold rock.
No, @Bohemian only means the frozen fruit. That can cause discomfort for the pax when shoved into the back of their seat on AIR KANATA.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 4:30 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
A member of the royal family felt a pea stuck in the seat pocket behind her.
Bohemian1 and jjclancy like this.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 7:26 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Perhaps I am a princess with a pea in the mattress too, but I notice this quite often - I sometimes suspect they are using the seat pocket as a footrest for their sock feet, or jamming beverage containers or extra large books where there is no room.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyquiet
Perhaps I am a princess with a pea in the mattress too, but I notice this quite often - I sometimes suspect they are using the seat pocket as a footrest for their sock feet, or jamming beverage containers or extra large books where there is no room.
Sure, but what you're describing is for the shaves on a plane thread.
The OP is alluding to FWP of supposedly low quality seats that only a major carrier like AC has, although I've experienced this sort of thing on several carriers worldwide. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
flyquiet likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 7:56 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Sure, but what you're describing is for the shaves on a plane thread.
The OP is alluding to FWP of supposedly low quality seats that only a major carrier like AC has, although I've experienced this sort of thing on several carriers worldwide. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Exactly precisely. This is de rigeur these days. Nothing to see. Move on. Etc. Even seats like LH’s Recaro seats which are otherwise much more comfortable than AC’s seats have this feature. If you don’t like it buy J. Not domestic J but real J. Sorry but that’s life. :/
Old Jul 5, 2019, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ridefar

Exactly precisely. This is de rigeur these days. Nothing to see. Move on. Etc. Even seats like LH’s Recaro seats which are otherwise much more comfortable than AC’s seats have this feature. If you don’t like it buy J. Not domestic J but real J. Sorry but that’s life. :/
LOL I think you kind of got my point...
I don't have any problems with posting FWP here, which is part of what FT is about for us FFs, but yeah my main point is this happens on so many carriers I've been on in their J and Y offerings, unlike frozen fruit which I've only experienced on AC.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:55 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
I have never sat in Y on a 787 or 777 (not bragging) but have many times on E190/A320/321/319 and for those who are able, seen feet going on top of the seat pocket! Yes, I have seen a lot of laptops and crap being placed in the seat pockets, but feet! I have seen some of the more taller folks place their knees right up to the back of the seat in front of them when they lean right back!

Not sure if it's behaving badly or simply ignorance. If you do it all the time and no ones say anything, you just don't know! You have to remember common sense is not so common.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.