Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC858 YYZ-LHR 30th JUN - Y over by 22 !

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2019, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*

In the YYZ INTL MLL currently and asked how badly the flight is oversold, figured that Y was over by a few, as all Y to LHR went to 0 about 24 hours ago and PY went to 0 a few hours ago. I was told that Y is over by 22 ! Last flight of the day, so not sure what their plan is

J has 9 open seats. Will wander down to the gate closer to the time, to see what they are offering
Old Jun 30, 2019, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pmarrsouth
In the YYZ INTL MLL currently and asked how badly the flight is oversold, figured that Y was over by a few, as all Y to LHR went to 0 about 24 hours ago and PY went to 0 a few hours ago. I was told that Y is over by 22 ! Last flight of the day, so not sure what their plan is

J has 9 open seats. Will wander down to the gate closer to the time, to see what they are offering
22 minus 9 is 13. Not that much for a 773. There might be a few misconnects especially on flights from the US. So in the end, who knows.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 7:36 pm

Programs: CX GO, AC Aeroplan 25K, AMEX PLAT, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by Stranger
22 minus 9 is 13. Not that much for a 773. There might be a few misconnects especially on flights from the US. So in the end, who knows.
Agree. 13 on a 777 is not much. I have seen that amount of no show/misconnect even on a 320.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Got an op up
jc94 likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 9:23 pm

Programs: CX GO, AC Aeroplan 25K, AMEX PLAT, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Amb
Nice, enjoy!
Old Jun 30, 2019, 9:26 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
I'm sure you mean "overbooked".
Old Jun 30, 2019, 9:28 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by RangerNS
I'm sure you mean "overbooked".
Oversold is a very common term.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
Oversold is a very common term.
And Air Canada does oversell flights. But not by 13 seats. Toronto is having issues, cascading misconnects could easily overbook a flight by 13, and could and does happen to carriers who never oversell.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 9:41 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by RangerNS
And Air Canada does oversell flights. But not by 13 seats. Toronto is having issues, cascading misconnects could easily overbook a flight by 13, and could and does happen to carriers who never oversell.
Wouldn’t misconnects put people on the standby list? Which isn’t the same as giving them a confirmed spot on a flight that’s Y-13? If AC is confirming people on an already oversold flight that’s just the same as overselling it?

Or am I missing something? Which is possible
Old Jun 30, 2019, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by jc94

Wouldn’t misconnects put people on the standby list? Which isn’t the same as giving them a confirmed spot on a flight that’s Y-13? If AC is confirming people on an already oversold flight that’s just the same as overselling it?

Or am I missing something? Which is possible
"Y is over by 22" needs some probing by someone who doesn't casually conflate "overbooked" with "oversold". I have no idea what number pops up on a MLL agents screen, or how they would mentally translate that to a number they shared with a customer.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 5:09 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
858 is the "clean-up" flight for the day and inherits the misconnections from the earlier flights, just as 876 does with FRA.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
My flight to PVG was overbooked in Y by 30+ this year (result of AC's <$400 ex usa fares?). There was one booked in J and two in PY.

opups for everyone!
Old Jul 1, 2019, 5:34 am
Original Poster

Was posting my previous post walking down the jet bridge, knowing that I would lose wifi

At about 50 minutes before schedule departure, J went full with a lot of OpUps in the app, about 10 in total. I was standing nearish the desk as had asked if they wanted volunteers - was told that yes they would most likely need

There were comments such as “14D is SE, upgrade him”, etc and people were being called up. Unsure if these matched the names in the app. It looked like some did, some didn’t. Was pretty sure we would be in our booked 13A/C until 2 guys in front was told there was space in PY if they wanted it. And they were given 13A/C boarding passes

A couple of minutes later, another batch of names were called, including myself and the gf. Got boarding passes for 6D/G. Still asked about volunteering and he said he would need, however recommended that we didn’t. We had a dinner here in London tonight which we would have missed, so left it

Thrilled to have gotten a OpUp with just *G status!
pilot007 likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Y at -22 or -30 or -9 or -13 is nothing, even for a narrowbody domestic flight.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 1:52 pm

Programs: *$ Green
The worst I've heard was YULCDG in the high 50s. Apparently not uncommon.

Wouldn't be surprised if YYZLHR and YVR-China are part of the bunch.

With prices around $500-$600 R/T, but $2K+ OW, I wouldn't be surprised if the majority are throwaway tickets!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.