Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Misconnected at YYZ, full of confused people, no help, can't get thru, what to do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Misconnected at YYZ, full of confused people, no help, can't get thru, what to do?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2019, 8:28 pm

I'm still shocked that Air Canada does not automate rebookings during irrops. United is no saint, but when I had irrop with them several years ago, I was automatically rebooked and if I didn't like the flight I was rebooked on, I could change it myself through their app without speaking with anyone.

Air Canada seems to love to automate everything else. They're quite forceful in making sure you use attempt to use the check-in machine before you even are allowed to speak with a check in agent and they have the automated machines that accept your luggage now at YYZ and other stations. I'm sure they could make the business case to have the IT infrastructure to make rebooking automatic.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yytleisure

I’ll agree there, many people make assumptions they’ll get full service for basement prices, yes. But then again the airlines purposely confuse with their various brands and categories and restrictions and fare rules and fare classes.
Also, airlines market their rock bottom still using the myth that flying is fancy. But then again, do people ever learn?
Old Jul 3, 2019, 11:11 pm

Programs: AC SE; SPG Platnium; HH G
so at what point is basic service expected like rebooking when there is a missed connection versus having to pay extra for it.

an example could be the issue with deflagate. If that is the norm that you get a seat that deflates maybe there should be an extra charge to get one that doesn’t.

of course that is silly, but not much difference than assuming you should not have to pay extra to be rebooked in a timely manner.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 2:19 am

Programs: AC P25
Originally Posted by Stranger
Also, airlines market their rock bottom still using the myth that flying is fancy. But then again, do people ever learn?
Im not sure about you but I am under no illusion that flying is fancy. No one I know expects more than the smallest seat on the plane, no meal, pay for luggage, etc. But they don’t expect a flight attendant surcharge. Or an unbundled fee to pay for having an armrest. These are the basics included in all tickets. Rebooking when a flight is cancelled or severely delayed should not be an add on or luxury service. Period.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 8:35 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
To be fair to AC, I have seen agents at the top of the jetbridge handing out new BPs for late incoming passengers who misconnect. Not all the time, just sometimes.
I do agree that I wish they would provide more options to rebook, specially online on in-app. My flight yesterday on UA was late with a possible misconnect and I could choose multiple rebooking options in the app - ne need to lineup or call anyone.
As I have stated before, I wish AC would also install a bank of phones that connect direct to the call center near their customer service desk. They never seem to have more than 3 CSRs at the desk and a phone bank would speed things up instead of having a 100 people line up. Also anyone already at the airport is likely more in need of urgent rebooking assistance.
ffsim likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 9:56 am

May be, maybe not? My point remains, if you "unbundle" that service, most people will elect not to pay for it... So they don't seem to agree with you, no? Of course these folks are not your typical FT demographics. But can you blame airlines when they oblige? AC's financial results seem to strongly correlate with the race to the bottom. What does that tell you? (And no, I don't own stock, and I don't necessarily like it. But reality is reality. And it won't go away any time soon.)
My opinion is that On My Way should remain an optional service rather than bundled. It is not that AC would not provide service to passengers in case of an IROP. If one who has no easy access to the concierge service or other premium benefits (e.g. priority telephone line and "guaranteed" space availability for some fare buckets) available to higher tier Altitude members but wants "priority" service without fuss in an IROP, OMW is the solution. In the case of this thread, OP would be far less stressed out if OP has bought OMW. It's no different from someone paying an annual fee to get a premium credit card to get priority check-in, priority security clearance and priority boarding, or paying for a Preferred Seat for the extra leg room and zone 3 boarding. The ability to only pay for what one wants is the best business arrangement. Have a good day!
Old Jul 4, 2019, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Im not sure about you but I am under no illusion that flying is fancy. No one I know expects more than the smallest seat on the plane, no meal, pay for luggage, etc. But they don’t expect a flight attendant surcharge. Or an unbundled fee to pay for having an armrest. These are the basics included in all tickets. Rebooking when a flight is cancelled or severely delayed should not be an add on or luxury service. Period.
I don't necessarily disagree with that. OTOH, arguing that there is a rationale for airlines not providing resources for a proper handling in extreme cases.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 10:20 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by B407
I'm still shocked that Air Canada does not automate rebookings during irrops. United is no saint, but when I had irrop with them several years ago, I was automatically rebooked and if I didn't like the flight I was rebooked on, I could change it myself through their app without speaking with anyone.
Apparently Amadeus will give them significantly improved capabilities to rebook/reaccommodate during IIROPS (AC's words, not mine).
Old Jul 4, 2019, 10:24 am

Programs: Altitude E50K / *G
Originally Posted by ChrisA330
Apparently Amadeus will give them significantly improved capabilities to rebook/reaccommodate during IIROPS (AC's words, not mine).
I'll believe it when I see it. I don't think Amadeus by itself will bring new agents to the counter in YYZ that actually are trained to know what they are supposed to do.

From what I had to deal with last week, the training seems to be - give the customer a phone number for them to call and show them where the exit is

Ok - I am still cranky
Old Jul 4, 2019, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When?
Old Jul 4, 2019, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Again, the FT demographics are very different compared with the bulk of airline customers.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 10:33 am

Programs: AC 75K
When?
I don't work for AC, so your guess is as good as mine is.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't work for AC, so your guess is as good as mine is.
Wasn't it April 2019?
Old Jul 4, 2019, 11:25 am

Programs: air miles
Unbundling has been the pandora's box, though its difficult to say if the airlines introduced this or if passengers requested it. How many here have said that they don't eat the meal or drink on the plane so they don't want to pay the 1/300'th of the cost to cater the whole plane, or say that the don't check a bag and so why should i pay 1/300th of the cost of having baggage handling for the flight. AC has latched on to this to the nth degree with fuel charges (we need fuel to fly) airport charges (we need to land at our destination airport) etc etc etc. All costs that SHOULD be baked in the basic price of providing the service. After all starbucks doesnt charge you extra for the milk or honey you place in your tea/coffee, its part of their price calculation.

Alas without oversight and guidlines as to what a minimum level of service should be this practice will continue.
YXUhomebase likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 11:28 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Wasn't it April 2019?
I thought that was when they were gonna fix the deflating seats?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.