Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Baggage damage on reward flight - AC segment

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2019, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: E35K, FPC Platinum

I'm wondering if the process is any different to claim baggage damage when travelling on a reward flight vs revenue.
My family had OPO-EWR-YYC-YEG with an overnight layover in EWR- the luggage was fine then.

When we picked up luggage in YEG there wasn't much distance to roll- so the damage to the wheel where it meets the composite frame wasn't noticed. There are two samsonite composite hardshells- each with damage in the same wheel- where it meets the frame is completely cracked, almost 80% torn from the frame.

The local luggage store said this happened during transit off the plane when the material is very brittle and must have hit a corner.

An issue is that the flight was 10 weeks ago- I only noticed it now as the luggage was left empty at the in-laws.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 3:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
With 10 weeks, I don't even think I could convince myself what caused it, or when.

It's exceptionally unlikely you'll be able to convince AC, if there isn't some elapsed period you had to make a claim.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

I just submitted the claim- lets see

I explained the 10wk delay due to the luggage being kept in YEG while I live in YVR, I recently went to pick it up and noticed the damage. The luggage had not been used since that flight so I hope AC sees it favourably. Its also the same wheel on both pieces, and they were fine EWRe
Old Jun 26, 2019, 4:16 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by YVRYEGYVR
Its also the same wheel on both pieces,
Please report back and let us know what happened.

The same wheel on both pieces sounds more like a defect to me, but I wish you luck in your claim!
Old Jun 26, 2019, 6:52 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
BTW, reward vs revenue is exactly the same when it comes to baggage claims.
Plumber and canadiancow like this.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Plumber
Please report back and let us know what happened.

The same wheel on both pieces sounds more like a defect to me, but I wish you luck in your claim!
I would think so, but authorized repair centre states the composite body is not covered, and this damage is often seen from luggage transit, and in their experience, AC would cover.

Originally Posted by IluvSQ
BTW, reward vs revenue is exactly the same when it comes to baggage claims.

I received a response in under 24h from AC, pretty impressive. The answer less so- a respectful NO.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC

I received a response in under 24h from AC, pretty impressive. The answer less so- a respectful NO.
Ok, but this is not necessarily relevant to what @IluvSQ said.
What IluvSQ said is 100% correct.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 10:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The response is the same you would likely receive from any carrier. Many have specific limits, e.g., 2-4 hours or must be reported before leaving the airport.

You could file a claim with your insurance carrier, but those often require that you meet the reporting requirements of the air carrier.

As a broader proposition, the rules and the claims limits apply to ticketed passengers. How the tickets are paid for is not relevant.
YVRYEGYVR and nancypants like this.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyznomad

Ok, but this is not necessarily relevant to what @IluvSQ said.
What IluvSQ said is 100% correct.
Correct- poor quoting on my part. Didn't mean to imply my "no" response was due to AE vs revenue
Old Jun 26, 2019, 3:31 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Originally Posted by Often1
You could file a claim with your insurance carrier, but those often require that you meet the reporting requirements of the air carrier.
Or under credit card purchase protection, if purchased within 90 days. One time my brand new suitcase had the lock broken on its maiden voyage. AC gave me an authorization for the repair shop (even though lock supposedly not covered, said the agent). Filed a purchase protection claim instead and got full refund of purchase price. But had to send the suitcase to a savage shop.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

I'm SoL here, the pieces are 4 yrs old, and were fine until this last trip.
I even wrote in my response to AC that I'm being honest about the circumstances- one could notice the damage late, take an AC flight, and then report it directly at the airport after that flight.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 2:24 am

I'm SoL here, the pieces are 4 yrs old, and were fine until this last trip.
I even wrote in my response to AC that I'm being honest about the circumstances- one could notice the damage late, take an AC flight, and then report it directly at the airport after that flight.
HONESTY is a great virtue, but hardly an economic endeavor. You must decide on values.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.