Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Online check-in saying I have a bag and then I don't

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2019, 11:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus

Checked in online and said my wife had checked luggage. Actually she didn't. Does that mean if we just go the gate w/o checking in at check-in area we can lose our reservation by not being there 2 hrs. before flight?
Old Jun 17, 2019, 11:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
No, you'll be fine.

You can also go back through check-in and change the number of bags.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 10:06 am

Programs: AC 75K (*G), NEXUS
If you want to be sure, I'd just re-do the online check in and change the number of bags to zero.
ffsim likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus
Thanks, but Air Canada's website will not let me change to no carryon on their site. In this case my original flight was cancelled and they texted a new flight and I was able to sign myself and wife into to the new flight but the site would not let me change her check-ins from 1 to 0.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 5:28 pm

Programs: AC 75K (*G), NEXUS
Originally Posted by jonsail
Thanks, but Air Canada's website will not let me change to no carryon on their site. In this case my original flight was cancelled and they texted a new flight and I was able to sign myself and wife into to the new flight but the site would not let me change her check-ins from 1 to 0.
If it's not working on the website your best bet is to probably try one of the self-serve check in kiosks at the airport.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 5:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by marke190
If it's not working on the website your best bet is to probably try one of the self-serve check in kiosks at the airport.
Or just ignore it.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 8:50 pm

I recommend that you try at the airport to get it fixed, even if it is just to tell an agent that you’re there and have no checked bags, or try updating at kiosk just in case you’re delayed getting to the gate.

In oversell situations I’ve witnessed GA’s look to see who had not checked bags to help decide to offload. Their assumption was that OLCI pax with bag to check, who hadn’t dropped bag off by cutoff likely never made it to the airport.

You shouldn’t need to tell someone that you don’t have a bag, but IMHO it can help avoid problems if you do.
marke190 likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 5:44 am

Alternatively always put “0" and before cutoff show up with bags saying your plans have changed.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 8:52 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Ew/oQ
Alternatively always put “0" and before cutoff show up with bags saying your plans have changed.
I have never had a problem changing the number of bags at actual airport checkin. And in some cases, I have to declare 0 bags at OLCI, ie, when travelling on someone else's points and OLCI will not recognize my status benefits.
Dolphin2 likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 1:10 pm

Programs: ACMM, AC E50K, HH Gold, National EE
Go back to OLCI, cancel your check in (don't get frightened by the line that says something like, "I'm no longer traveling" - doing this does NOT cancel your booking). Go back to OLCI and check in with zero bags. Presto.
Dolphin2 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.