Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Use AMEX points to upgrade on AC

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2019, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Use AMEX points to upgrade on AC

I am trying to learn how the upgrade works with Amex MR on AC flights.

Are there pre-defined eligible booking classes required to perform an upgrade? How does it work if I book the lowest Y cabin - say S booking class, am I eligible for an upgrade? If so, into what booking booking class will I booked? Will it be R (same as eUpgrade) or I (redemption) class?

There is Star Alliance Upgrade Award (SAUA) program where Y, B, O booking classes on AC flights are eligible for upgrade and booked in I class. This option is not helpful since I am booked into S class.

In short just want to make sure that I get the best value while upgrading using Amex upgrade.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 12:57 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
You cannot directly* use Amex MR to purchase an upgrade on AC. You can convert to Aeroplan miles and then use those Aeroplan miles to do a SAUA if your booking is in an appropriate class.

*Alternatively, you can purchase a last-minute upgrade at check-in and put your MR against that charge, but it’s hardly an efficiency use of your points.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by 9WJAI
I am trying to learn how the upgrade works with Amex MR on AC flights.

Are there pre-defined eligible booking classes required to perform an upgrade? How does it work if I book the lowest Y cabin - say S booking class, am I eligible for an upgrade? If so, into what booking booking class will I booked? Will it be R (same as eUpgrade) or I (redemption) class?

There is Star Alliance Upgrade Award (SAUA) program where Y, B, O booking classes on AC flights are eligible for upgrade and booked in I class. This option is not helpful since I am booked into S class.

In short just want to make sure that I get the best value while upgrading using Amex upgrade.
There are two main options:

1) transfer Amex MR points to Aeroplan and upgrade using the Star Alliance upgrade scheme. However, as you already realized, this rarely makes sense since you (a) need to book a full-fare Y/PE fare (booking classes B, Y, O) and (b) upgrades are subject to award availability (booking class I)

2) depending on where your Amex is issued and assuming you booked your ticket directly with Amex, Amex may offer an "upgrade" where you basically pay the fare difference using your Amex points at a fixed rate. The value proposition is likely to be rather poor, and you'd be better off just paying the fare difference out-of-pocket.

Alternatively, AC offers various other paid upgrade options including bid upgrades, LMUs during OLCI etc.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 1:05 pm

Programs: hahaha
Looks like AMEX just partnered with AC (and other airlines) for an upgrade bidding system. OP, is this what you're referring to?
https://thepointsguy.com/news/amex-upgrade-with-points/

EDIT: I linked the blogspam because the actual site https://upgrade.americanexpress.com/ keeps giving me an error, so not sure if there's another way to access it. Try the steps in the blog post?
Old Jun 12, 2019, 1:08 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by asovse1
Looks like AMEX just partnered with AC (and other airlines) for an upgrade bidding system. OP, is this what you're referring to?
https://thepointsguy.com/news/amex-upgrade-with-points/

EDIT: I linked the blogspam because the actual site https://upgrade.americanexpress.com/ keeps giving me an error, so not sure if there's another way to access it. Try the steps in the blog post?
Interesting, thanks for sharing this. I remember reading this article a couple months ago and didn’t make the connection to OP’s question. This describes something of a big process which, as the blogger points out, is a pretty awful use of MR.
asovse1 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.