Wiki Posts
Search

Navigation Insurance

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2019, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plat
Navigation Insurance

I noticed a $315 one-way fee/surcharge for “navigation insurance lie flat seat” for yyz-lax, is this normal??
Old Jun 9, 2019, 5:14 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
That's mislabeled. AC charges $300 premium for J on TCON routes (in this case, +$15 in GST), so that's why the reference to lie-flat seats. The bit about navigation insurance is likely a relic or something lone gone that they forgot to clean up.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plat
Just on the lie flat equipment it looks like? (Not there on other non lie flat flights that day)

Any idea why they include as a surcharge vs build into base fare? Other airlines generally don’t have a surcharge for different equipment..
Old Jun 9, 2019, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by silverforumsurf
Just on the lie flat equipment it looks like? (Not there on other non lie flat flights that day)

Any idea why they include as a surcharge vs build into base fare? Other airlines generally don’t have a surcharge for different equipment..
@silverforumsurf
Only transcon mainline widebodies.
This surcharge was introduced in early 2015. Prior to that, it was the same price as a narrowbody transcon (I.e. No lie flats)
silverforumsurf likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by silverforumsurf
Put it the other way... why wouldn’t they?

AC’s main transcon route is YYZ-YVR, which is served by numerous daily narrowbody and widebody flights. People would book a widebody but be switched onto a narrow and be quite upset when there would be no compensation because “business is business.”

I can only assume that AC discovered that people were willing to pay a premium for lie flat (although the premium does not apply for pax connecting to/from int’l flights), so introduced a surcharge. Now if there is a downgauge AC will refund the surcharge, although they’re likely still ahead as they got to charge more money in the first place.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 8:47 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
The surcharge is used as a compensation fund for victims of deflated seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.