Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Same day standby (New York - Toronto)

Same day standby (New York - Toronto)

Old Jun 8, 19, 6:08 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: PHL, NYC, DC
Posts: 9,598
Same day standby (New York - Toronto)

Trying to figure out if....

1. If they allow changing departure airport (EWR to LGA)
2. Stand by for a "later" departure

I've done earlier departures before (and always assumed it has to be earlier only), but never standing by later flight.....
Talked to the social media team and they say its permissible (subject to space availability).

Per my ticket - I'm on Economy Standard fare A class.

Has anyone tried same day standby from New York to Toronto for a later flight? What are your experiences?
global happy traveller is offline  
Old Jun 8, 19, 6:48 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: sqrt(-united states of apologist)
Programs: sqrt(-school of apologist)
Posts: 5,367
IIRC you cannot standby for a later flight.

Because by the time the later flight gets processed it's too late to be on your original flight, so you can only standby early or SDC to early/later.

I think other FTers have done standby from YYZ/YTZ, but I can't remember if it was YTO as origin or as destination... maybe both...
canadiancow likes this.
SparseFlyer is offline  
Old Jun 8, 19, 7:10 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: PHL, NYC, DC
Posts: 9,598
Right now Im booked on AM flight, but change of travel plans would probably have me leaving late afternoon/early evening.

Their policy though does not state same day standby must be Ďearlierí for NYC-YYZ. Hence my question to AC social media and the surprising response.

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer View Post
IIRC you cannot standby for a later flight.

Because by the time the later flight gets processed it's too late to be on your original flight, so you can only standby early or SDC to early/later.

I think other FTers have done standby from YYZ/YTZ, but I can't remember if it was YTO as origin or as destination... maybe both...
global happy traveller is offline  
Old Jun 8, 19, 8:39 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: sqrt(-united states of apologist)
Programs: sqrt(-school of apologist)
Posts: 5,367
SparseFlyer is offline  
Old Jun 8, 19, 8:43 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: sqrt(-united states of apologist)
Programs: sqrt(-school of apologist)
Posts: 5,367
Think about it. You standby for a later flight and you don't clear. What then.

Also, the idea of free standby is to allow an earlier flight that was about to leave with empty seats fill up so that the next flight has available seats for sale and misconnections.
canadiancow and sram like this.
SparseFlyer is offline  
Old Jun 8, 19, 8:56 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: PHL, NYC, DC
Posts: 9,598
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer View Post
Think about it. You standby for a later flight and you don't clear. What then.

Also, the idea of free standby is to allow an earlier flight that was about to leave with empty seats fill up so that the next flight has available seats for sale and misconnections.
makes sense to me..... very reason why Iím asking FTers for a second opinion. now Iím confused as to why their social media advised otherwise......

guess same day change via OLCI might be a better route for me.
global happy traveller is offline  
Old Jun 8, 19, 9:11 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: sqrt(-united states of apologist)
Programs: sqrt(-school of apologist)
Posts: 5,367
Originally Posted by global happy traveller View Post


makes sense to me..... very reason why Iím asking FTers for a second opinion. now Iím confused as to why their social media advised otherwise......

guess same day change via OLCI might be a better route for me.
Because AC's SM team is not made up of pros.

Also yes to OLCI SDC.

Also you're welcome.
SparseFlyer is offline  
Old Jun 9, 19, 5:07 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: YYC
Programs: AC SE100K, WS Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson/NH Gold
Posts: 8,632
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer View Post
Also yes to OLCI SDC.
Does OLCI offer SDC to later? I only remember seeing SDC to earlier flights.
Adam Smith is offline  
Old Jun 9, 19, 5:21 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC S100K MM, Accor Gold, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
Posts: 33,248
Originally Posted by Adam Smith View Post
Does OLCI offer SDC to later? I only remember seeing SDC to earlier flights.
OLCI will show you the next two flights. On a route like NYC-YTO, that means you're only going to get earlier options unless you do it really close to the check-in cutoff. But even then, you won't be able to move it 6 hours later.

On something like SFO-YYZ where there aren't many flights, you can generally change it to whatever you want.
canadiancow is offline  
Old Jun 9, 19, 8:27 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: YYZ
Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime PE, AC Altitude SE100K-1MM
Posts: 308
Originally Posted by global happy traveller View Post
makes sense to me..... very reason why Iím asking FTers for a second opinion. now Iím confused as to why their social media advised otherwise......

guess same day change via OLCI might be a better route for me.
Using OLCI, I'm not sure you'll see the options for a different departing airport although I do not have specific experience NY to Toronto.
- When I want to make a SDC from Montreal to Toronto, if booked YUL to YYZ, I do not get the earlier flight options to YTZ during OLCI. I make this change once I get to YUL at the Rapidair desk.
- Likewise, when I was booked to fly YYZ to YUL, and the forecast was calling for snow, I tried to SDC to an earlier flight departing YTZ instead but I had to go to YTZ to make the SDC (I live downtown so took the chance and went to and caught the earlier flight before the storm).
SteadyAT is offline  
Old Jun 9, 19, 9:56 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, HH Gold, MR Titanium, IHG Spire, Accor Silver, National EE, Hertz PC
Posts: 3,738
Originally Posted by SteadyAT View Post
Using OLCI, I'm not sure you'll see the options for a different departing airport although I do not have specific experience NY to Toronto.
I've never been offered options for the other airport during OLCI when flying NYC-YTO and vice-versa.
canadiancow likes this.
Santander is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: