Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

70 minute connection in Toronto flying from DC to Vancouver enough?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

70 minute connection in Toronto flying from DC to Vancouver enough?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2019, 2:20 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by Jagboi
Do you mean useful, rather than useless?
I did, thanks!

Originally Posted by tcook052
According to me. As a TA for 20+ years I've never recommended flying in the day of embarkation because of the inherent risks of literally missing the boat. The possibility of being unable to board at the next port exists as was pointed out in post 14. I'd recommend OP try and find another way to arrive before embarkation day even if that means an alternate routing and change fees.

It's unfortunate your TA didn't highlight the risks of flying in on day of embarkation and offer alternatives so you could've made a more informed decision rather than be in the spot you're in but I would really recommend avoiding the 70 min. connection at YYZ as beyond airline delays there are a host of other issues which may pop-up including but not limited to red alerts for lightning, delays at security/customs, or even airline problems with its IT as happened in recent days.
TAs done the same for me making a cruise as well. We flew into the country two days before and the flight down to the port was day before due to delays being frequent.

No sensible TA so going to propose this. Nor would they say you’ll clear customs at YVR either though. I wonder if there are any options for having the TA pay for their very poor advice.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 2:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SteadyAT
This was my POV as I caught up on this thread...granted the OP asked for opinion, and friends as well as FTer's are saying it's not the best travel option. But what's done is done and it sounds like there is now no other affordable option to the OP.

So these are the suggestions assuming flights are on time (similar to what's already mentioned by others):
- Pay to be able to sit near the front as much as possible to expedite exiting the plane
- Read up on OSS and what that entails and ensure all documents are ready to be shown / scanned (not sure if you have to prefill any forms anymore (I think it's now a form you fill out at the machine), and familiarize yourself with the questions / have addresses / cruise details ready to fill in.)
- Study YYZ airport map to know where you have to go after OSS and how to get to domestic gates
- You had mentioned taking the train from YVR to the port...familiarize yourself with Skytrain details, and directions for the station at YVR. Have the right $ ready for fares.

Take all necessary preparations possible to optimize the connections (YYZ connection as well as YVR to cruise port)! Good luck!
OSS requires filling out the paper form that will be handed out on the plane. One form per family. Have it and all four passports ready to go when you get off.

For buying the train tickets in YVR, use a credit card. Much easier than worrying about cash.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 4:50 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by mapleg
Very interested in your source for the data showing "most" arrive at the cruise departure airport day of sailing. Source please.
If you read my post, I said "many, if not most". That is not definitive by any stretch; nor can it be considered "data". This is a chat forum, not a legal proceeding or academic publication, therefore the 'source' you seek is simple: it's my opinion based upon personal observation. I'm surprised there's confusion on the distinction.

Originally Posted by tccook52
According to me. As a TA for 20+ years I've never recommended flying in the day of embarkation because of the inherent risks of literally missing the boat.
OK, so that's a 'recommend' from a single travel agent - hardly the "big no no" I was expecting. Seeing as there are obviously a good proportion of customers who book trips the day of sailing - many* aided by their own travel agents - it would appear the industry itself is conflicted on the advice.

There are always risks of travel delays at any time of year, and granted, some have expensive ramifications. This forum has once again turned a simple request ("hey is 70 min enough time to connect in YYZ?") into a fear-mongering lecture on all the various possibilities that may befall the traveler the moment they leave their house. Better leave 2 days early, just in case. In cruise season, I see on a daily basis between 750 & 1200 cruise passengers arrive at YVR and head by coach directly to the port to embark on their ships. Daily cruise pax numbers are included in shift briefings and staff are assigned to streamline the airport arrival procedure. Passengers not headed directly to the port are not transported by the cruise companies and are thus not tallied in the 'cruise pax' numbers, so it's likely many** arrive the day before. But to reiterate: hundreds arrive the same day.

We all have our individual tolerances to risk. Those holding a higher tolerance probably don't need nor want to hear all the tsk-tsk and dissent from those requiring a more comforting time buffer.

*2nd use of the word. Still not data.
** 3rd use. Still nope.
5mm likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 5:03 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
We all have our individual tolerances to risk. Those holding a higher tolerance probably don't need nor want to hear all the tsk-tsk and dissent from those requiring a more comforting time buffer.
The OP asked if 70 minutes was enough time to make a connection. Many of us pointed out the folly of this, noting that you’re relying on an on-time flight and no other hiccups while you navigate YYZ with small children. This isn’t “tsk-tsk” it is common sense when flying the airline with one of the worst OTP in the *world* and connecting in YYZ where any number of things can go sideways, and not just during winter.

My YOW-YYZ was nearly 90 minutes late this afternoon because of *wind* in YYZ. I am sitting on my flight to Europe because I allowed 2+ hours for this kind of thing. If I had taken the next flight from YOW and allowed ~70 minutes to make my connection I would have missed it. This kind of thing
occurs daily with AC at YYZ, why pretend otherwise?
tcook052, ffsim, Symmetre and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 5:27 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
If you read my post, I said "many, if not most". That is not definitive by any stretch; nor can it be considered "data". This is a chat forum, not a legal proceeding or academic publication, therefore the 'source' you seek is simple: it's my opinion based upon personal observation. I'm surprised there's confusion on the distinction.
My opinion on observation is most people fly in the day before a cruise. Some people fly in day of cruise, but not many.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 5:52 pm

Programs: HH Silver
There are always risks of travel delays at any time of year, and granted, some have expensive ramifications.
Which is exactly what many of us have been politely pointing out.

This forum has once again turned a simple request ("hey is 70 min enough time to connect in YYZ?") into a fear-mongering lecture on all the various possibilities that may befall the traveler the moment they leave their house.
OP didn't just ask solely about the 70-minute connection if you reread first post, they also asked if there were any options at this point to which I tried to offer some possibilities such as re-routing on AC partner airlines to build-in a longer connection on embarkation day or coming in the day prior which again is something I'd highly recommend.

Regardless I hope OP has smooth sailing as the Alaska waters offer stunning scenery.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
This isn’t “tsk-tsk” it is common sense when flying the airline with one of the worst OTP in the *world* and connecting in YYZ where any number of things can go sideways, and not just during winter.
As was specifically acknowledged in my post. And yet, thousands of people manage to succeed.

Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
This kind of thing occurs daily with AC at YYZ, why pretend otherwise?
Nobody pretended otherwise. Re-read the thread please.

Originally Posted by mapleg
My opinion on observation is most people fly in the day before a cruise. Some people fly in day of cruise, but not many.
I'm curious if your observation includes the specific number of 'leaving today' cruise passengers as provided by the cruise companies. Mine does, and I gave the range of numbers for the airport in question. You can decide for yourself if that number of people is "not many".

Look, I get it that this sort of itinerary seems to make you and others uncomfortable, which is entirely fair. Yet, same-day arrival-->sailing transits are successfully accomplished by hundreds of people every day a cruise ship departs, and they presumably go on to enjoy marvellous holidays. Go ahead and argue the apparent folly and attempt to undermine the fact, but it is a fact, despite it not being something you might feel ok doing yourself.

Today for example, there are three cruise ships in port: the Amsterdam & Westerdam (both Holland America) and Eclipse (Celebrity). Together there are 22 buses transporting 1221 passengers who landed at YVR today and are sailing this evening.

Is that 'not many' people? Are they all reckless lunatics? Are their travel agents mad? Did all of them avoid flying Air Canada?

Yesterday, 37 buses drove 1607 passengers from the airport to the cruise terminal to embark upon the Golden Princess and the Nieuw Amsterdam. NUTS!!!!

I could go on.
5mm likes this.

Last edited by tcook052; Jun 2, 2019 at 9:29 pm Reason: merge separate posts
Old Jun 2, 2019, 9:37 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Some empirical statistics from 2016 and the amount of the 1.3-million passengers in 2014 who spend at least one-night in Vancouver and its many.

https://www.destinationbc.ca/content...file-FINAL.pdf

Nearly half of Vancouver cruise passengers noted that the fact that they wanted to visit Vancouver was important in their decision to choose that cruise. Given this, it is not surprising that 74% of these passengers stay at least one night in BC before or after their trip.
jc94 likes this.

Last edited by tcook052; Jun 3, 2019 at 12:33 pm Reason: correct stats
Old Jun 2, 2019, 10:56 pm

22 Million is the GLOBAL number of cruise passengers. BC traffic accounts for a stated 6% of that global figure - 1.35M in 2015 as per the link provided. Let's assume that all of the '74% people' stay at least one night in Vancouver before their trip (although the bolded statement above clearly states "or after"). Can we agree that 351,000* people (26% of 1.35M passengers) can be considered 'many'? Good.

*Likely almost all originating from Vancouver itself; in 2015, the number of cruise passengers starting their journey in Victoria or Nanaimo would have been small indeed.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 10:49 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
I dunno, it sometimes seems like all 22 Million are swarming around Canada Place some days. I keep tripping over them when I go to lunch.

Is there a cruise ship equivalent term for 'gate lice'?
Old Jun 3, 2019, 12:40 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Is there a cruise ship equivalent term for 'gate lice'?
Wharf Rats.
Symmetre and Bohemian1 like this.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 6:34 pm

Cruise air customers flying in same day have some help if their are delays. The cruise line can tell a passenger to skip baggage claim and go right to the pier. The cruise line can extend the deadline to check in. The captain may be able to delay departure. The cruise line frequently offers next port protection, even if that means paying a fine.

Cruisers posting on the internet always warn against flying in same day. Many, maybe even most, passengers fly in same day. The risk is low (OK manageable) if you have an early N/S flight with many later flights. If you have the ability to embark at the first port.

OP is probably OK, Air Canada wouldn't sell the flight unless it thought the connection can be made most of the time. I'd sleep better if both of the later flights weren't fully booked.
CZAMFlyer likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 1:20 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
So to summarize.

Pay for OMW, pay for preferred seats and book the furthest forward you can (yes bulkhead) or the one behind if one of you is > 6' and wants to be able to stretch legs. Memorize YYZ map, train for a half marathon, and pray.
Also consider requesting EF loads for two following flights day of/before and ensure you memorize those and any other airline schedules. Be prepared to sit in different parts of the plane or even aircraft (if four of you, and both the next flights are J2 you'll get two on each with OMW maybe).

Better prepared you are, less likely you'll need to be. There's probably a law for that. Or ... plan for the worst, hope for the best. And at worst, you've spent a little money (far less than $$$$) for peace of mind.

Oh, get the AC app and obsessively check flight times for incoming plane.
arf04 and roastpuff like this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 2:15 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Have witnessed too many same day Cruise Connectors with minimal connection time flying on pins and needles. Give yourself an extra day and piece of mind.
tcook052 likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Have witnessed too many same day Cruise Connectors with minimal connection time flying on pins and needles. Give yourself an extra day and piece of mind.
What is the purpose in continuing to make this suggestion? OP has already said flights the previous day are fully booked in coach. The OP isn't willing/able to pay $$$ required to book business class..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.