Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC787-9 have live TV?

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2019, 4:40 am
Original Poster

AC787-9 have live TV?

I’ll be on the AC flight from YUL to Shanghai Saturday and I want to know whether their 787-9s have Live TV so I can watch the Stanley Cup game that evening.
Old May 28, 2019, 4:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
No live TV option in AC's IFE.
pitz likes this.
Old May 28, 2019, 5:31 am

16 of the 27 787-9's (per: https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ard/wi-fi.html) are equipped with satellite-based Internet. Of which, you might be able to rig up some sort of stream. Of audio perhaps. If you pay for service accordingly, on your own personal device.
Old May 28, 2019, 3:23 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
I have been able to stream live Premier League soccer using the AC wifi service in the past.
Old May 28, 2019, 5:15 pm

Programs: E50K, DL GM, Bonvoy Platinum Elite
I was able to stream the last Raptors game on an Embraer E175 with minimal lag. The trick is finding a standard definition stream.
Old May 28, 2019, 6:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by skiereric
I was able to stream the last Raptors game on an Embraer E175 with minimal lag. The trick is finding a standard definition stream.
The E75s and 789s have completely different wifi systems.

I was streaming Netflix in HD all the way from LHR-YYZ-SFO yesterday. No issues at all.
ffsim likes this.
Old May 28, 2019, 7:30 pm

When satellite internet is used, what is the “location” of the user. For example, if a user wanted to use a “legit” service, AFAIK Rogers is geo-blocked to Canada, NHL.com to many locations outside Canada, etc. What services can be used without needing to use vpn’s etc.?
Old May 28, 2019, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by YEG USER
When satellite internet is used, what is the “location” of the user. For example, if a user wanted to use a “legit” service, AFAIK Rogers is geo-blocked to Canada, NHL.com to many locations outside Canada, etc. What services can be used without needing to use vpn’s etc.?
Personal GPS's generally do not work in flight (arms control regulations require they be inhibited over certain altitudes and certain speeds, not to mention the problem of RF reception). So services would be using the IP address of the satellite Internet TV service provider's endpoint to make the decision whether to block or accept.
Old May 28, 2019, 8:14 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
The GPS limits would never be exceeded by any currently flying commercial aircraft. Mach 1.x and ~60k feet.
​​​​​
Not that it's relevant because the services just use the IP, which has always been Canada in my experience on AC.
DrunkCargo and pilot007 like this.
Old May 28, 2019, 10:42 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by pitz
Personal GPS's generally do not work in flight (arms control regulations require they be inhibited over certain altitudes and certain speeds, not to mention the problem of RF reception). So services would be using the IP address of the satellite Internet TV service provider's endpoint to make the decision whether to block or accept.
The GPS in my iphone works perfectly fine flying anywhere in the world
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old May 29, 2019, 6:21 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Just to add to the general consensus, I've been able to watch streamed live TV on an aircraft equipped with the same wifi system OP will have on the 789. Logged into my Bell TV app and watched in full HD with only occasional stuttering hiccups.
Old May 29, 2019, 6:37 am

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Originally Posted by canadiancow
The E75s and 789s have completely different wifi systems.

I was streaming Netflix in HD all the way from LHR-YYZ-SFO yesterday. No issues at all.
And everyone else was waiting 10 minutes to view an email all the way from LHR-YYZ-SFO that day.

But +1 re a recent 777 flight; full HD minimal latency.
Old May 29, 2019, 5:54 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Flying Blue Gold, Accor Silver, Hilton Diamond

I used the Bell Fibe app on a recent flight to Japan. It detected me as being in Canada while using it, but I was stil over Canada. Sub expired midway through the flight though and didn’t bother renewing.
Old May 29, 2019, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Repooc17
No live TV option in AC's IFE.
@ChrisNH38

Your question:

AC787-9 have live TV?

As per @Repooc17 the answer is no.
Old May 30, 2019, 7:52 am
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone. The AC wifi web site tells me that I will NOT have wifi on my plane. Only the following Tuesday does the flight show up with it. Every day between now and then, the plane won't.

Last edited by ChrisNH38; May 30, 2019 at 7:58 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.