Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Could AC Buy Transat? 16May19 Update: AC enters into agreement to buy Transat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Could AC Buy Transat? 16May19 Update: AC enters into agreement to buy Transat

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2021, 6:47 am

WestJet Says "Canada is Closed to Competition" After Air Canada, Transat Deal

"This decision shows blatant disregard for all Canadians who believe in healthy competition," said Ed Sims, WestJet President and CEO. "When Canadians look to explore the world and reunite with family and friends once again, they will face fewer choices and higher fares."

"It is hard to imagine a deal as anti-competitive in any industry where the number one player buys number three without meaningful remedies," continued Mr. Sims. "This is a serious setback to Canada's economy. The Competition Bureau themselves described such cosmetic remedies as inadequate. Canadians should be profoundly disappointed."

Canada closed to competition | TravelPulse Canada
Old Feb 12, 2021, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by mileageking

"This decision shows blatant disregard for all Canadians who believe in healthy competition," said Ed Sims, WestJet President and CEO. "When Canadians look to explore the world and reunite with family and friends once again, they will face fewer choices and higher fares."

"It is hard to imagine a deal as anti-competitive in any industry where the number one player buys number three without meaningful remedies," continued Mr. Sims. "This is a serious setback to Canada's economy. The Competition Bureau themselves described such cosmetic remedies as inadequate. Canadians should be profoundly disappointed."

Canada closed to competition | TravelPulse Canada
Perhaps it shows how ticked off they were when they sent the press release at 12:45 AM this morning.
Old Feb 12, 2021, 8:19 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Notice he didn't say "Canadians will face higher fares from everyone but WestJet."
Old Feb 12, 2021, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by YOWgary
Notice he didn't say "Canadians will face higher fares from everyone but WestJet."
Yeap if fares go up on AC/AT, expect same from WS
Old Feb 12, 2021, 8:42 am

Yeap if fares go up on AC/AT, expect same from WS
On the what, dozen routes Westjet and Transat compete on?
Old Feb 12, 2021, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by YOWgary
On the what, dozen routes Westjet and Transat compete on?
Probably. Also where will Rouge play into all of this.
Old Feb 12, 2021, 8:50 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Transat media release, for those interested

Transat Announces Approval of its Arrangement with Air Canada by Canadian Authorities

https://www.transat.com/en-CA/corpor...eleases/124360

QUOTE re the European Commission

"....the review period has been extended and a decision of the Commission is now expected to be rendered in the first half of 2021."
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2021, 10:03 am

Probably. Also where will Rouge play into all of this.
I wouldn’t be surprised if AC decides to abandon Rouge in favour of Transat. It’s the exact same operating model and Rouge doesn’t really have a good reputation going for themselves.
YVR72 likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2021, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by Here2day2021
I wouldn’t be surprised if AC decides to abandon Rouge in favour of Transat. It’s the exact same operating model and Rouge doesn’t really have a good reputation going for themselves.
Welcome to FT. Will be interesting to see how they divvy up routes, fares, etc. Maybe it's a maintain strategy on one while aggressively growing the other. Not many airlines globally with triple brand strategy, not saying it can't be done successfully.
Old Feb 12, 2021, 11:03 am

Rouge doesn’t really have a good reputation going for themselves.
Is there current (or at least 2019) data on this? Does the average passenger (a) notice the difference between Rouge and Mainline, and (b) rate them differently?

Or does a bad Rouge experience just affect the customer's perception of anything with a maple leaf on the tail?
canadiancow likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2021, 11:54 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS

WestJet is shutting down? Or admitting their to-the-minute parallel pricing changes as ACs are more than a coincidence?
mileageking, PB53x11 and hoipolloi like this.
Old Feb 12, 2021, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by RangerNS
WestJet is shutting down? Or admitting their to-the-minute parallel pricing changes as ACs are more than a coincidence?
More likely your second point.
Old Feb 12, 2021, 5:49 pm

Programs: Air Canada SE100K, Westjet Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, NEXUS
Westjet and their crocodile tears. This is just a standard statement they ‘had’ to make, but I don’t think they care about the merger. Westjet has not made any real effort to attract customers in Quebec. Besides, it wasn’t long ago when they used Swoop to crush new competitors in Western Canada.

Westjet/Onex had more than enough time to submit a bid for Transat. They chose not to. Frankly, they have bigger problems on their plate.

As much as I advocate for competition, the fact of the matter is the market is not big enough for 3 large independent airlines in Canada - even if the 3rd airline is relatively small. Transat’s Caribbean routes were losing money before COVID, and won’t recover anytime soon. This was an opportunity for the government to save jobs.

At this point, Transat’s only other option is bankruptcy. I have no doubt AC will push Transat through bankruptcy protection to reduce their operating costs. Transat will exit a leaner airline backed by AC.
Old Feb 12, 2021, 6:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
I would be surprise if AC opted to drop the rouge brand altogether as its invested 9-years on its airline-within-an-airline and can't see it throwing all that away. Transat's reputation isn't a whole lot better so think AC dropping the Transat references if more likely than it dropping its own rouge brand identity.
Bohemian1 and martyYOW like this.
Old Feb 12, 2021, 7:24 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by AC7E7
Westjet and their crocodile tears. This is just a standard statement they ‘had’ to make, but I don’t think they care about the merger.
I don't think they had to make this statement; they did it for PR purposes, to try to remind Canadians that they're supposed to be the good guys.

As much as I advocate for competition, the fact of the matter is the market is not big enough for 3 large independent airlines in Canada - even if the 3rd airline is relatively small.
Transat was getting along just fine. Remember, AC was willing to pay over $700MM for the business before COVID. We also have Sunwing and Flair. What makes you think that situation was unsustainable?

At this point, Transat’s only other option is bankruptcy.
Unlikely. They had a sizeable amount of cash on hand and secured additional financing when they revised the deal with AC.

I have no doubt AC will push Transat through bankruptcy protection to reduce their operating costs. Transat will exit a leaner airline backed by AC.
That's not how bankruptcy works.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.