Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Quickest/Easiest way to gain access to MLL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Quickest/Easiest way to gain access to MLL

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2019, 11:46 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by RhaspberryWind
I have never been to the lounge but heard great things about it! Also, we are planning our honeymoon so this would be a great thing to start off the journey!
If you let us FT'ers know when your trip is, there is always a chance (more often than you would think) that someone on here may be in the airport at that time and can guest you in.

Who doesn't like a little bit of free karma for some newlyweds
Old Apr 17, 2019, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
@RhaspberryWind

I understand this is for a special occasion (honeymoon), so I understand the desire to make this a rare opportunity to visit the MLL.
I agree with others that many of the MLLs aren't that special, but for someone who doesn't fly much, I can see the appeal even if it's for the free booze/allure. You just won't know how it's like if you haven't been (enough times).
  1. Which airport do you want to visit the MLL and from that airport, where are you flying to with Air Canada?
  2. Regarding the MLL spread, please be aware that depending on time of day, it can be bare bones food/drink... peak times are during lunch and dinner hours where, depending on the MLL, you will get some hot food along with the typical cold fare... please see AC lounge food to get a better idea...
sram and Adam Smith like this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 12:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
Please don't support this type of activity. I can't believe people actually sell those passes. Ridiculous.

To echo what everyone else is saying, MLLs aren't that special - but I'm aware that's coming from a bunch of FFs that find themselves in these god forsaken wastelands too many times a week.

What MLL are you hoping to gain access to?
I like the MLL because it's "free" and has decent drinks and light bites for the short time I'm typically in there.

I would never pay $50. I doubt I would pay $25.

There have been many times I've been in an airport with free lounge access, but opted to go to a restaurant and pay for (most recently in YYC), because I wanted a meal.

In YYC, I even asked the agent at check-in if they had food or just snacks. She said food. I checked in, walked around the corner, took a look, turned around, and walked back out.

If you want good food and drinks, save the money and go to any bar/restaurant in the terminal. If you just want to be away from the riffraff on your honeymoney, you can't really put a price on that
RatherBeInYOW and jc94 like this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
I value a lounge visit at the value of a drink and a snack. That's about $15 give or take in most Canadian and US airports.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 4:51 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by canadiancow
There have been many times I've been in an airport with free lounge access, but opted to go to a restaurant and pay for (most recently in YYC), because I wanted a meal.
I probably visit a restaurant in YYZ domestic about as often as I go to the MLL there these days.

A couple of weeks ago I got off the elevator and there was a 15 person long lineup to get in to YYZ dom. I just turned around and got back in the elevator and went back downstairs.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 5:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
I probably visit a restaurant in YYZ domestic about as often as I go to the MLL there these days.

A couple of weeks ago I got off the elevator and there was a 15 person long lineup to get in to YYZ dom. I just turned around and got back in the elevator and went back downstairs.
Ugh. One time I really had to use the bathroom, so I just walked up, put my BP on the counter, and continued on my way.

They really need either a self-scan entry system or an agent (in lounges with multiple) who will only perform CS tasks when there is no one waiting to check in.
Seat13F_AC_CRJ likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 5:09 pm

Programs: AC 35k
To me the value of the lounge is a place of quiet in the busyness of an airport. Some airports aren't busy enough (YYC, YVR) to even warrant this reason. But others (ORD, YYZ) are a must. Have you considered just buying access to a lounge? Pay lounges will have hot food at least so if you're going to pay $30, at least you'll get that.
TechnoTourist likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 6:36 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
I have to say....and I say this with endearment We are all a jaded bunch of travellers.

Someone wants to start their honeymoon off in a lounge, get that VIP feeling and all that and we can't appreciate it anymore.

This isn't a criticism, it is just an observation (one I am guilty of myself). I am sure the first time we purchased our Diners Club with MLL access or Elite Card in the mail, we went to the MLL early to enjoy it.
Twickenham, m.y, Symmetre and 11 others like this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by lcohen999
I have to say....and I say this with endearment We are all a jaded bunch of travellers.

Someone wants to start their honeymoon off in a lounge, get that VIP feeling and all that and we can't appreciate it anymore.

This isn't a criticism, it is just an observation (one I am guilty of myself). I am sure the first time we purchased our Diners Club with MLL access or Elite Card in the mail, we went to the MLL early to enjoy it.
+1,000,000
Old Apr 17, 2019, 10:42 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*

To be fair, while we as a lot are generally jaded and spoiled, we're also as as group trying to find out when and where this (will be) newlywed couple wants access because we know that we as a community likely can and will make it happen for them. Hopefully OP returns with this info.

Not disagreeing with you though. I was thrilled to have lounge access at first, and while I now keep my visits short I am in a lounge for 90% of my airport time and terminal for the balance so I clearly don't totally hate it.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 11:25 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver

I was thinking of posting something very similar. My FOTSG friends and family members still seem to be generally impressed and happy with the lounges when they use the MLL passes I give them.

All that being said, if I were the OP, I wouldn't be too worried about it, and wouldn't spend a lot of money on it.

Also, OP, don't buy lounge passes on Kijiji/eBay/etc. Not only could the person easily be trying to scam you, but technically it's against the rules of the Altitude program for elites to sell those passes, so if AC somehow manages to find out about it, you could potentially run in to problems getting in.
Bohemian1 and jasdou like this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 12:10 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by RhaspberryWind
I have been researching for months what is the quickest/best way to get into the MLL and it has been somewhat painful. I don't travel a lot and would love to experience the lounge for the first time this June.

I finally settled on the TD Visa Infinite Aeroplan miles card and in the final hours before applying, I was told if I did not redeem an 'Aeroplan Flight', I would not gain access to the lounge. At that point, I abandon applying for the credit card.

So what I would like to know what is the fastest way to get access to the Lounge without depending on other people? I know there are a couple credit cards that offer Lounge Access, but they can be very sketchy without reading the full fine print, like the TD Visa Infinite Mastercard I came across.

At this point, I have considered buying the passes off Kijiji, since it would be quicker and less painful than the credit card process.

I am looking for all recommendations and maybe if you have anything off the books? Like, if they changed your flight, would they offer you passes to the lounge?
Pay for Business Class.
5mm likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 3:22 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
Pay for Business Class.
Shouldn't we assume if that were an option it would be done?

There's a reason for the Y to J ratio on aircraft; most don't have the means to sit up front. I imagine this to be especially true of a newlywed couple.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 6:00 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I was thinking of posting something very similar. My FOTSG friends and family members still seem to be generally impressed and happy with the lounges when they use the MLL passes I give them.
That mirrors my experience. I have guested several FOTSG colleagues, friends and family members in the past few years at the YQB VIP lounge, YUL/YYZ Domestic, YUL/YYZ TB and YUL International lounges, not to mention quite a few unimpressive PP lounges and overall they were all pretty thrilled and impressed that I could get them in by flashing a card or a BP. The buffet and free booze can also appear quite attractive given the generally inflated prices one can find airside. The aura of exclusivity and perceived unaccessibility for the average flyer is the key.

I wish we as a group would stop being so negative to first-time J flyers or lounge access seekers.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG / Airmiles
I am travelling out of the YYZ. We have already booked it through an earlier special offered by Air Canada last month. I don't really want to upgrade my tickets at this point. Just finding out options on how to gain access, since its nice to hear from people with insight.

If it's not that special, I guess there's no use in trying to get access.

We also have a Diner's Credit card, do they check only the name? or if the account is active too? We haven't used it in a while, so not sure if it still works.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.