Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Quickest/Easiest way to gain access to MLL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2019, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG / Airmiles

I have been researching for months what is the quickest/best way to get into the MLL and it has been somewhat painful. I don't travel a lot and would love to experience the lounge for the first time this June.

I finally settled on the TD Visa Infinite Aeroplan miles card and in the final hours before applying, I was told if I did not redeem an 'Aeroplan Flight', I would not gain access to the lounge. At that point, I abandon applying for the credit card.

So what I would like to know what is the fastest way to get access to the Lounge without depending on other people? I know there are a couple credit cards that offer Lounge Access, but they can be very sketchy without reading the full fine print, like the TD Visa Infinite Mastercard I came across.

At this point, I have considered buying the passes off Kijiji, since it would be quicker and less painful than the credit card process.

I am looking for all recommendations and maybe if you have anything off the books? Like, if they changed your flight, would they offer you passes to the lounge?

Last edited by RhaspberryWind; Apr 17, 2019 at 8:07 am
Old Apr 17, 2019, 8:00 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Why the desperation to get into the lounge ? They are not that amazing and I suspect you will be disappointed.
eracerblue, m.y, Symmetre and 3 others like this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 8:02 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Anything but the Basic or Standard brands, you have the option of just buying access.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 8:05 am

Buy a business class ticket (note you asked for quickest/easiest/best, not cheapest).
canadiancow and 5mm like this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 8:05 am

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
You can usually buy lounge access when you make the booking in economy class, key is that it's sold at time of booking. A simple way in is to just buy business class tickets or an unlimited flight pass that grants immediate status.

I believe the AMEX Aeroplan platinum grants access all the time but has a higher annual fee. A regular platinum amex is able to get you into plaza premium lounges, which are better in some ways.

By the way, It not a "Visa infinite MasterCard", but your details on access are correct.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Scotiabank passport visa infinte ($139 annual fee) gets you 6 visits per year to Plaza Premiums via Priority Pass - which are better than most MLLs anyway
you also get a $250 sign up bonus, and its a great card without foreign exchange fees unlike TD.

Originally Posted by YEG USER
Buy a business class ticket (note you asked for quickest/easiest/best, not cheapest).
Definitely the cheapest way of getting into a domestic MLL
eracerblue likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
You can also perch yourself in front of the MLL you want to get into and ask anyone and everyone entering if you can be guested.
(I am not necessarily condoning this, but I have seen it done/attempted...fwiw)
NoviceFT and canadiancow like this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG / Airmiles
I have never been to the lounge but heard great things about it! Also, we are planning our honeymoon so this would be a great thing to start off the journey!
Old Apr 17, 2019, 8:08 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
You can just buy one off access if you want for when you need it.

Honestly, while lounges are a nice respite from a crazy airport...it is nothing worth driving yourself crazy over.

A few beers at a decent restaurant in the airport is still cheaper than a $600 amex CC to get you into the MLL. It also depends on how often you plan on flying / using it.

One off novelty, buy access with your ticket...if you will fly enough to get status, you will get lounge access regardless.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 8:53 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by Nitehawk
You can usually buy lounge access when you make the booking in economy class, key is that it's sold at time of booking. A simple way in is to just buy business class tickets or an unlimited flight pass that grants immediate status.

I believe the AMEX Aeroplan platinum grants access all the time but has a higher annual fee. A regular platinum amex is able to get you into plaza premium lounges, which are better in some ways.

By the way, It not a "Visa infinite MasterCard", but your details on access are correct.
It's also bookable via manage my booking. Right up until close to the flight, normally a week or two our AC will start actively pushing it on your flight booking it pops up with these amazing pictures of MLLs taken without people when they were brand new.

Oh, and if you do end up getting a voucher be aware they're only valid for domestic and transborder lounges; including airports that only have one airside area (YYT/YHZ etc..). If you are at say YUL/YYZ you can't get into the Intl. lounges without status/J ticket/paying/guest (or anything else I forgot) - the vouchers aren't valid.

Originally Posted by RhaspberryWind
I have never been to the lounge but heard great things about it! Also, we are planning our honeymoon so this would be a great thing to start off the journey!
From whom and are you sure they were talking about a MLL? There are many great lounges, most are not Air Canada ones, especially not within NA. The best MLL are generally acknowledged to be FRA and LHR.

Congrats on the honeymoon, consider flying J
RhaspberryWind likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 9:53 am

Congrats on your honeymoon!

Out of curiosity, what city are you planning on departing from? Does your departure airport have a lounge? Will you have any connections, and if so, is there enough time to even use a lounge on your layover? Will your flight be on AC metal, or an AC codeshare? Will this booking be a revenue booking, or a reward booking?

There are several factors that can come into play. Similar to what you've found out about the CC, there can be certain criteria that need to be met in order to get lounge access.

Also, do you plan on travelling enough this year to gain status with any airline in 2020? If so, that could affect the way you try to access the lounge.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 10:19 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*

At this point, I have considered buying the passes off Kijiji, since it would be quicker and less painful than the credit card process.

Please don't support this type of activity. I can't believe people actually sell those passes. Ridiculous.

To echo what everyone else is saying, MLLs aren't that special - but I'm aware that's coming from a bunch of FFs that find themselves in these god forsaken wastelands too many times a week.

What MLL are you hoping to gain access to?
canadiancow likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 10:40 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by vernonc
Why the desperation to get into the lounge ? They are not that amazing and I suspect you will be disappointed.
I'll almost guarantee it.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 11:23 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
There is a reason many of us don't get to the airport 3-hours prior to departure as sitting in a MLL for 2+ hours just isn't fun, especially when busy. If you're still not convinced, read the MLL Pet Peeves thread. And if you're not convinced after that, spend the money ($50 ? ) for one-time access.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 11:36 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
Please don't support this type of activity. I can't believe people actually sell those passes. Ridiculous.

To echo what everyone else is saying, MLLs aren't that special - but I'm aware that's coming from a bunch of FFs that find themselves in these god forsaken wastelands too many times a week.

What MLL are you hoping to gain access to?
That's the key, the first time I went into a lounge I was quite impressed despite a lack of food (not a MLL). The first time I went into a MLL (YYZ TB), if I can recall that, I think I was meh well it beats the terminal. Others I've given passes to have echoed that sentiment. That said the friend I got into the YHZ one, was not impressed.

Originally Posted by YVRtoYYZ
There is a reason many of us don't get to the airport 3-hours prior to departure as sitting in a MLL for 2+ hours just isn't fun, especially when busy. If you're still not convinced, read the MLL Pet Peeves thread. And if you're not convinced after that, spend the money ($50 ? ) for one-time access.
It's $25 from Lat (unlikely given the other posts from OP) or PY. I've never paid $50, I've paid $25 a number of times though only for Intl. lounges including YYZ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.