Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Reversal of Fortune? Online Booking "Bonus"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2003, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp

I had to laugh out loud when I received my weekly 'What's New' e-mail from AS/QX and they announced their new partner Seattle's Best Coffee would give out 3 miles per dollar spent online. This is the complete opposite of AC which deems 1 mile per 3 dollars spent. Does anyone else find this odd?

http://www.alaskaair.com/www2/promo/Seattlesbest.asp
Old Jul 6, 2003, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Well, since it is the partner that buys the miles and gives them out, if SEATTLE'S BEST wants to spend 3-6 cents on the dollar, that's their call. As for AC and DESTINA only giving out 1 mile per $3 spent, I think that is being helpful to TAs who are the ones that would be impacted most by such an offering of Aeroplan miles for booking such flights.

This is another example of: No matter what AC does, it cannot win with you guys. If it offered more miles for internet bookings, it would be called an "unfair competitor" to TAs. Because it doesn't, you think it is too cheap. If it floods the market with miles, you complain that non-fliers are taking reward seats from fliers. And what does it matter anyhow, because you don't think there are enough reward seats available!
Old Jul 6, 2003, 11:45 am
At Large

That's also 3-6 cents on the dollar you pay for the coffee.
Old Jul 6, 2003, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Shareholder:
This is another example of: No matter what AC does, it cannot win with you guys. If it offered more miles for internet bookings, it would be called an "unfair competitor" to TAs. Because it doesn't, you think it is too cheap. If it floods the market with miles, you complain that non-fliers are taking reward seats from fliers. And what does it matter anyhow, because you don't think there are enough reward seats available!</font>
SH, you never, ever disappoint me. I am not suggesting that AC give away 5,000 miles per booking, however, 1 mile for every 3 dollars spent? Pa-thet-ic. Christ, 1 for 1 would be alright by me, however, I am sure that the last group that AC cares about pleasing right now is TAs. Seriously.
Old Jul 6, 2003, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Would you prefer Air Miles instead?
Old Jul 6, 2003, 11:55 am

I think that vendors of low-priced products feel the need to offer higher multiples of miles per dollar in order to make the endeavor worthwhile for the consumer. If my coffee purchase usually takes 30 seconds and they proposed to add another 30-45 seconds per transaction to input my FF data, I would probably decline for anything less than 100 points per purchase.
Old Jul 6, 2003, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Shareholder:
Would you prefer Air Miles instead?</font>
That actually made me laugh! I only accumulate them because I dislike it when the Safeway cashier asks me if I have my Air Miles number and Safeway card. I doubt I'll ever use them though.
Old Jul 6, 2003, 1:18 pm

I think that is being helpful to TAs who are the ones that would be impacted most by such an offering of Aeroplan miles for booking such flights.</font>
You know what would be even more helpful to TAs? No booking bonus at all.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">If it offered more miles for internet bookings, it would be called an "unfair competitor" to TAs.</font>
Would you care to share the source of your quote of "unfair competitor" that us "guys" have said?

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Because it doesn't, you think it is too cheap.</font>
That's because it is cheap. Look at what other carriers in 'North America' are giving out.
Old Jul 6, 2003, 7:19 pm
At Large

Quote:
SH, you never, ever disappoint me. I am not suggesting that AC give away 5,000 miles per booking, however, 1 mile for every 3 dollars spent? Pa-thet-ic. Christ, 1 for 1 would be alright by me, however, I am sure that the last group that AC cares about pleasing right now is TAs. Seriously.

Believe it or not AC believes they need all the friends they can muster right now;more CF today is less borrowing on exit from CCAA.

[This message has been edited by parnel (edited 07-06-2003).]
Old Jul 7, 2003, 6:56 pm

Location: Calgary, AB, Canada AC Elite, SPG Plat, CO Onepass Gold
Would you prefer Air Miles instead?</font>
Frankly, yes! Earlier today I was attempted to book YYC-YVR for 2 ppl at the end of the month.

Aeroplan: no hope in heck of getting seats, unless I wanted to pay double points.

Air Miles: No problem. Even got the exact flights that I wanted! The irony: the seats are on Air Canada, and the fees from Air Miles were less than what Aeroplan charges!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.