Wiki Posts
Search

Vancouver 2010?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2003, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, AS, CX, BA, AC, DL
Vancouver 2010?

The IOC decision is next Wednesday at 10am EDT. I support the bid, do you?
Old Jun 25, 2003, 3:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Yes. Interesting to be in SZG this spring and saw all the banners hanging around the town as one of the bidding cities. I think its down to YVR & SZG as the two favorites. If anyone else gets it besides YVR, somewhat happy it'll probably be SZG.
Old Jun 25, 2003, 3:58 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by brm744:
I support the bid, do you?</font>
Absolutely.

Old Jun 25, 2003, 4:01 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by brm744:
I support the bid, do you?</font>
You bet I do. Sent them my money a while ago.
Old Jun 25, 2003, 4:10 pm

Programs: several
As an ex-Vancouverite for 32 years, I support the bid without question!

Old Jun 25, 2003, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
I hate the lack of transparency in the whole thing. Everything is secret. All the contracts as awarded are secret. B.C. taxpayers are on the hook. I hope someone else gets it.
Old Jun 25, 2003, 4:13 pm

Hardly any publicity. If it isn't mentioned here, I would not have known that decision is coming soon.
Old Jun 25, 2003, 4:39 pm

If the Olympics are in YVR, its a trip for me! "FlyerTalk YVR DO 2010" (I will be old enough to drink then)
Old Jun 25, 2003, 6:20 pm

Programs: AC MM
Yes! I remember what it did for the city of Calgary, amazing the changes it brought to the city, and the province. Like world class sports facilities and being able to buy a beer on a Sunday without food! Vancouver would do an amazing job.
Old Jun 25, 2003, 7:31 pm

Definitely. Best prospect Vancouver has had in years. Bring it on!
Old Jun 25, 2003, 9:07 pm

Think of the traffic! I shudder at the prospect. Plus, the Olympics almost always end up being subsidized at the expense of the taxpayer.

If it is done, I wonder how an improved road to Whistler will be handled.
Old Jun 25, 2003, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by WillTravel:
Think of the traffic! I shudder at the prospect. Plus, the Olympics almost always end up being subsidized at the expense of the taxpayer.

If it is done, I wonder how an improved road to Whistler will be handled.</font>
Hopefully that will derail the bid. There's no good plan. The provincial government wants to widen the road to 3 lanes (can you say "high speed accident waiting to happen"?) with some others offering expensive less-than-half-baked ideas (use the rail track, build a bridge up Howe Sound).

As long as it's a (hopefully-expensive) toll road, I'm neutral.
Old Jun 25, 2003, 10:58 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
One thing, according to CBC radio this morning, is that the proximity of the 2006 Winter Olympics, ie Turin Italy, at less than 600 km from Salzburg, would decrease the chances that the latter city would get the 2010 Winter Olympics. The IOC likes to (often) move the next Olympic venue to a site quite different and far away, from the previous one.

In addition, CBC radio stated that most of the profits come from the US TV contract (ie NBC) - the contract may be larger, if the Olympics were awarded to a venue whose time zone (for optimal prime time TV viewing) was not too different (if at all) from most of continental US viewers.
Old Jun 25, 2003, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FlyerGoldII:
In addition, CBC radio stated that most of the profits come from the US TV contract (ie NBC) - the contract may be larger, if the Olympics were awarded to a venue whose time zone (for optimal prime time TV viewing) was not too different (if at all) from most of continental US viewers.</font>
The flipside of this is that NYC wants the 2012 summer games which is worth a lot more revenue-wise (have no idea why anyone wants to watch the games - I've studiously avoided watching coverage since Muenchen 1972). If NYC is to stand a chance of getting it, Vancouver is eliminated. I hope this stands.

Really if advertising revenue is that important, maybe the winter games should be permanently based in Lake Placid and Utah and whatever venues are suitable and summer games in Los Angeles and Atlanta. That'd save a lot of money.

Anyway, the plus side of the Whistler games is that it'd kick the riff raff out of the place a la Aspen.

See:
http://www.vancourier.com/064203/news/064203nn1.html

[This message has been edited by terenz (edited 06-25-2003).]
Old Jun 25, 2003, 11:31 pm

terenz, you're absolutely right about the road to Whistler. It's already a dangerous stretch of highway. I've heard there are some old logging roads near Mission that go up to Pemberton - has anyone thought of using those

In the plebiscite held in Vancouver last year, I voted against the Olympic bid. I hope the fact that the Salzburg citizens were more in favor than Vancouver citizens will help sway the decision towards Salzburg.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.