Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Vancouver 2010?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2003, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Village Idiot:
Where the heck were you "Nay Sayers" in 1986? Don't you remember what an economic benefit is was for this province, one that is still paying off today?!?</font>
Well said VI.

I just hope that they will be able to positively deal with the social problems that currently exist in Vancouver.
Old Jul 2, 2003, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
The first Olympics I've been to in person was the Salt Lake Games last year.

I managed to score tickets to the gold Medal Hockey Game and was only there for the day before the game and game day itself.

The atmosphere was incredible, I strongly encourage anyone that has any interest in sport to start saving now to attend as many of the games as you can possibly afford.

You won't regret it.
Old Jul 2, 2003, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Just as Expo helped the homeless and provided affordable housing in the lower mainland? Wonder who the real estate developers who'll benefit from this boondoggle are? If it takes the Olympics to upgrade your highways, things are in a pretty bad state. The best thing to happen to Toronto was not getting the summer Olympics. May the tax collector have mercy on your wallets, my Vancouver/BC friends. Just as you got taken over the coal developments by the Japanese, this one is going to hurt as well.

But Bread and Circuses have always been popular to distract the masses from the real problems at hand. How soon we forget the fiasco of the leaky condos! Might be worth talking to a few Sydneysiders about their hangover from the great Games splurge.

"Cassandra"

[This message has been edited by Shareholder (edited 07-02-2003).]
Old Jul 2, 2003, 4:18 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by skofarrell:
The atmosphere was incredible</font>
The atmosphere in the city today is just unbelievable. Everybody is just so excited. It's just a wonderful feeling!!

Hope I'll still be living here in 2010.
Old Jul 2, 2003, 5:10 pm

Location: Vancouver - UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
News Flash, Things are in a "pretty bad state"... Actually, it's worse than that, Things are in a horrible state in this province. Name for me another major city in North America with 1 and 2 lane highways?!? Why on earth should it take over an hour to travel from one municipality to another?!? Do you have any idea how much this extra travel time and congestion cost BC business in lost efficiency. Over 2 million people, two bridges, the numbers don't work well.

And you want to blame BC housing prices on Expo 86? Give your head a shake and look at a map... To the North, we have mountains, not the best building terrain, to the West, sure looks wet out there to me, more like sinking condos, not leaky ones. Ok, lets build south... oh, Americans have that blocked... Ok, East it is!!! Oh, great, we have the Agricultural Land Reserve all around as well as the Burns bog conservation society. So, what do we do? We force farmers to grow hay (not much of a cash crop) on land that should be built for our housing, and force people to move way up the valley, where we should be growing our hay. Now, everyone lives so far from their work, everyone has to drive, or, if you want to live in the city, simple supply and demand, even you should be able to figure out what happens next. (hint, prices go up)

If anything, Expo 86 consolidated one of the greatest parcels of land in North America, moved out a lot of slummy industry, and provided the people of Vancouver some of our greatest treasures. Yale Town, Cycle paths, Parks, shopping… instead of talking about it like it is a blight on the city, you should talk to people, everyone I know loves it. Hummm, adding to the quality of life… that is good, isn’t it?

And excuse me for saying, but how the H E Double Hockey Sticks does the Olympics have anything to do with leaky condos?!? Did the Japanese write stupid building codes for a "wet" province?!? Stay on track Shareholder, your mind seems to wander…

If you really want to help the homeless, jobs usually help. BC's biggest export over the past 12 years has been jobs and industry. We build Alberta. This province needs a lift, and if it takes the Olympics to do it, so be it! (Didn’t seem to hurt Alberta any over the past 15 years, actually, it got that province rolling)

Edited to add a "l" to blight

[This message has been edited by Village Idiot (edited 07-02-2003).]
Old Jul 2, 2003, 5:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
??? Montreal is still paying for its nightmare,,, Or maybe thats all Canadians are paying for that nightmare.
Lets make sure we don't repeat past mistakes. Bring in the accountants EARLY
Old Jul 2, 2003, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by why fly:
??? Montreal is still paying for its nightmare,,, Or maybe thats all Canadians are paying for that nightmare.
Lets make sure we don't repeat past mistakes. Bring in the accountants EARLY
</font>
Accountants?!? (You an accountant why fly?) I don't think so! They need to bring in competent people!
Old Jul 2, 2003, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AE
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Shareholder:
...But Bread and Circuses have always been popular to distract the masses from the real problems at hand. How soon we forget the fiasco of the leaky condos! Might be worth talking to a few Sydneysiders about their hangover from the great Games splurge.

"Cassandra"

[This message has been edited by Shareholder (edited 07-02-2003).]
</font>
I don't care about the 100 schools that have/are closing due to budget shortfalls, as long as I can experience the thrill of luge or ice dancing!
Old Jul 2, 2003, 6:35 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Name for me another major city in North America with 1 and 2 lane highways?!? Why on earth should it take over an hour to travel from one municipality to another?!? Do you have any idea how much this extra travel time and congestion cost BC business in lost efficiency.</font>
You're kidding, right? You don't really think adding freeways will save time, do you?

Here's a challenge: name me one major city with freeways that don't turn into parking lots at rush hour, am and pm. I-5 into Seattle, LA, SFO, or San Diego, x64 into Norfolk, 95 and all the x95s into, well, everywhere on the I-95 corridor, 401 into Toronto, or even little I-43 into Milwaukee. Come rush hour you might as well be walking.

And if there's any incident on a freeway within several miles of you, you'll know about it in minutes. A few months ago I was driving into Chicago during the outbound evening rush hour. A small traffic accident in the outbound direction (opposite my direction) resulted in standing traffic 3-4 lanes wide, for at least 11 miles. (It was more than that but I didn't set the trip meter until I realized how bad it was. As well, I still couldn't see the end of it when I got to my exit.)

The one thing, the only thing, that freeways do during rush hour, is to get you to the traffic jam faster.

"And my radio says tonight it's gonna freeze
people driving home from the factories
there's six lanes of traffic
three lanes moving slow. . ."
- "Telegraph Road", Dire Straits, c. 1982
Old Jul 2, 2003, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

Yeah for Vancouver! Everyone was glued to the TV when the annoucement was about to be made by the IOC President and I swear I could hear everyone else's heart beatings - then, he said: Van-cou-ver... I am glad my hearing ability is still intact...

If AC is still around in 2010 [which I doubt, not in the current state anyway], I'll make sure I fly AA to JFK then connect on CX to get to Vancouver.
Old Jul 2, 2003, 8:29 pm
At Large

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Ken hAAmer:
You're kidding, right? You don't really think adding freeways will save time, do you?

Here's a challenge: name me one major city with freeways that don't turn into parking lots at rush hour, am and pm. I-5 into Seattle, LA, SFO, or San Diego, x64 into Norfolk, 95 and all the x95s into, well, everywhere on the I-95 corridor, 401 into Toronto, or even little I-43 into Milwaukee. Come rush hour you might as well be walking.

And if there's any incident on a freeway within several miles of you, you'll know about it in minutes. A few months ago I was driving into Chicago during the outbound evening rush hour. A small traffic accident in the outbound direction (opposite my direction) resulted in standing traffic 3-4 lanes wide, for at least 11 miles. (It was more than that but I didn't set the trip meter until I realized how bad it was. As well, I still couldn't see the end of it when I got to my exit.)

The one thing, the only thing, that freeways do during rush hour, is to get you to the traffic jam faster.

"And my radio says tonight it's gonna freeze
people driving home from the factories
there's six lanes of traffic
three lanes moving slow. . ."
- "Telegraph Road", Dire Straits, c. 1982
</font>
KH, you left wet coast bias is showing through--(just like my same sex marriage bias)
Surely you jest when you say that freeways do no good for the economy.Yes there are horrific traffic jams but they still move a lot of traffic fairly efficiently and keeps it off city streets for the most part. I've tried many times over the years to get from downtown VCR to YVR airport. It can be a lot worse than the Gardiner/427 when its wet or there is an accident or a faulty traffic light along the way.Then there are the intersection blockers who try and beat the lights and get stranded in the middle of the intersection. Been there done that and I'll take my chances on a freeway.
In reality it does not matter anyway because you couldn't build a cost efficient highway from downtown at this point in time even if you wanted one.
Old Jul 2, 2003, 8:33 pm
At Large

Quote by jral:
I vowed never to use FT as a negative outlet

Me too
Old Jul 2, 2003, 8:36 pm

Programs: Presto
Too bad Toronto didn't get 2008, Vancouver could have bought the Gardiner for a song.

NV
Old Jul 2, 2003, 8:44 pm

Way to go Vancouver....Best news all day!!.

Now, who wants to bet Milton STILL won't be able to make any money from this for his airline.!!!
Old Jul 3, 2003, 12:01 am

Programs: AC S100K / AC-2MM
Congratulations Vancouver/Whistler!! I remember going to the Calgary games in '88 - it was a great time in that city and I'm sure it will be in Vancouver too. The legacy of the Calgary games lives on to this day - speed skating oval, bobsled/luge runs, ski jumps etc. There will no doubt be similar benefits for Vancouver.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.