Old Jul 2, 2003, 9:48 am

Congrats to Vancouver/Whistler!
Old Jul 2, 2003, 9:48 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
CONGRATULATIONS!

Can I book a hotel yet??

Old Jul 2, 2003, 9:52 am

better still INVEST $$$... that creates jobs... and pays the bills... this Olympics is going to cost BIG BUCKS...

for those who lost heart in investing in AC... here is a new alternative...

Old Jul 2, 2003, 10:53 am

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
Just got into the office from the party at GM place. The place exploded when the result was announced.

Surprising that the first ballot was 51-40-16. Salzburg weren't able to secure even a third of the Europeans--seems to suggest that New York 2012 has a very hard climb.

Kudos to the crowd in Pyongchang for the sportsmanlike cheers when the result was announced.
Old Jul 2, 2003, 10:58 am

Programs: BA Gold; VA Velocity Gold; LH FTL; Marriott Gold; ICHG Platinum AMB; Hilton Gold
Congratulations!
Old Jul 2, 2003, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Congratulations. But are you sure you really want them? Calgary didn't have to build a highway through the mountains. This is going to cost BC big, at a time it can least afford it. Talk about your government subsidized freeloaders, this will make Montreal look like kidsplay. Oh well, it's all Keysian economics. Funny how fiscal conservatives suddenly let the purse strings loose when it comes to sports subsidies, wars and megaprojects. As for schools, hospitals and other infrastructure, let 'em crumble!
Old Jul 2, 2003, 11:54 am

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
IMO, the benefits far outweigh any potential drawbacks. Never mind the event itself, the improvement to infrastructure, the exposure BC will have to the world, the time and effort that will be spent to nurture young atheletes.
Yes, it is expensive to create the event, however, I believe that most of the costs will be recovered through sponsorships etc.

Congratulations YVR and BC.
Old Jul 2, 2003, 12:07 pm

Programs: several
Well said taupo - I agree entirely!

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by taupo:
IMO, the benefits far outweigh any potential drawbacks. Never mind the event itself, the improvement to infrastructure, the exposure BC will have to the world, the time and effort that will be spent to nurture young atheletes.
Yes, it is expensive to create the event, however, I believe that most of the costs will be recovered through sponsorships etc.

Congratulations YVR and BC.
</font>
Old Jul 2, 2003, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Whooppeee!

So, who wants to make bets on whether or not we will be able to redeem points for seats to YVR?
Old Jul 2, 2003, 12:24 pm

Location: Vancouver - UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Where the heck were you "Nay Sayers" in 1986? Don't you remember what an economic benefit is was for this province, one that is still paying off today?!?

How would you like to get around Vancouver today if we didn't invest in this province?

Alex Fraser Bridge, Cambie Street Bridge, Georgia Street Viaduct, SkyTrain, Highway 91, Coquahlia Highway. These were all Direct results of Expo86. I can't believe how near sighted some of the Anti-games people are.

Not to mention the Facilities that were left behind and still contribute today. Canada Place, Science World, Plaza of Nations, BC Place. These benefits have a direct, positive affect on thousands of people and indirect effects on the entire province. Everyone from Taxi Drivers to Restaurants, it filters down to just about everyone in the province.

This province is in need of infrastructure. It is going to have to be done. I would way rather have Federal Support on our side then to have to do it alone.

This is the first time in 12 years the Fed's have come to the table for capital projects in BC. It's a nice idea, the whole, "Healthcare Before Olympics", but I never heard the Federal Government once say, "Here is a whole whack of cash for this province, how do you want to use it? HealthCare or Olympics?" It is Olympics or nothing.

Boise, Idaho reported that the Salt Lake City games added over 100 million dollars to their economy, some 300 miles away. Seattle has projected a benefit of over 200 million dollars to their economy when the games arrive. Do you think it is possible for Victoria, Kelowna, even Calgary not to benefit from these games?!? People need to get out from under their shells and look around a little.

But, all water under the new bridges now...

I'm placing one thumb in my ear, one on my nose, wiggling my fingers back and forth while sticking out my tongue and going PHHHHHHIIIIITTTTTTTT.... To all who don't want the games!!! They are coming, and I love it!!!

(edited to change "Where the heck where you "people" in..." to target only those with narrow visions of economics)

[This message has been edited by Village Idiot (edited 07-02-2003).]
Old Jul 2, 2003, 12:53 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

Old Jul 2, 2003, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Way to go Vancouver!! Can't wait to attend in 2010. Hockey finals in BC Place is a nice thought - at least that will fill the place for a sporting event
Old Jul 2, 2003, 1:14 pm

Programs: LH, BA, KE
Great news!
Old Jul 2, 2003, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Altaflyer:
Way to go Vancouver!! Can't wait to attend in 2010. Hockey finals in BC Place is a nice thought - at least that will fill the place for a sporting event </font>
And Canada better win this one!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.