Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Vancouver 2010?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2003, 3:14 pm

Reviewing the previous post, it looks to me as though terenz just wants Austria to win because his "GF" is from there or something & is therefore biased against the Vancouver bid. Traitor!
Old Jun 27, 2003, 3:25 pm

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
I am pro-bid, but with reservations about the infrastructure development.

The 99 needs upgrading to Whistler, whether we get the Games or not. This is a good excuse to do what should have been done long ago (and represents the biggest cost factor involved).

As for rapid transit to Richmond/Airport, I would far prefer a surface rail solution on the Arbutus corridor. It represents a significantly lower capital cost than the Cambie solution.
Old Jun 27, 2003, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
My GF is a life-long British Columbian but she thinks there are better things to spend the money on given that the province isn;t in the best of shape.

The Fraser Institute, a right-wing economic thinktank organisation has come out against the games questioning the assumptions (very aggressive as noted by the provincial Auditor General) and most notably, the taxpayers of B.C. having to guarantee any losses. If B.C> taxpayers really didn't have to foot a penny or stand to lose one, I don;t care one way or another.
Old Jun 27, 2003, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AC*SE:
The 99 needs upgrading to Whistler, whether we get the Games or not. This is a good excuse to do what should have been done long ago (and represents the biggest cost factor involved).

</font>
Yes, but a 3 lane solution between Lion's Bay and Squamish and Squamish-Whistler isn;t the best one.

To accomodate traffic, the highway will have to be shut off to private cars and 5-7 busses a minute will have to be using it to get people up there. It is a major bottleneck.

As you know passenger rail service is now not offered and anyway the speed of trains is severely restricted due to the nature of the road. One half-baked idea was to pave over the railbed to allow its use as a third lane.
Old Jun 27, 2003, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AC*SE:
As for rapid transit to Richmond/Airport, I would far prefer a surface rail solution on the Arbutus corridor. It represents a significantly lower capital cost than the Cambie solution.</font>
Unfortunately for this proposal (even though it probably makes more sense), funding from the 2 senior levels of government was not forthcoming unless an expensive high-tech proposal (i.e., skytrain brought to you by Bombardier) was selected. The federal and provincial governments did not want street cars a la Calgary.
Old Jun 27, 2003, 5:48 pm

NIMBY doesn't apply to this lady in regards to Arbutus corridor ... it is my backyard...or very close to it... and I agree with you AC SE... it just makes sense...

Originally posted by AC*SE:
As for rapid transit to Richmond/Airport, I would far prefer a surface rail solution on the Arbutus corridor. It represents a significantly lower capital cost than the Cambie solution.

Old Jun 27, 2003, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by nobody-elite:
NIMBY doesn't apply to this lady in regards to Arbutus corridor ... i</font>
Good for you. Evidently you're not the one who used the "creme de la creme" phrase a few years back to keep (successfully it seems) transit from using the Arbutus corridor.
Old Jun 27, 2003, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AE
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by terenz:
...As you know passenger rail service is now not offered and anyway the speed of trains is severely restricted due to the nature of the road. One half-baked idea was to pave over the railbed to allow its use as a third lane. </font>
Sadly this half-baked idea is still part of the official plan. Heaven-forbid a railway would actually be used to move people in trains. Gordon Campbell still has his knickers in a knot over BCR, as many thought he lost the '96 election by promising privatization which wasn't popular in the North.

I can't recall if the airfield at Pemberton is capable of handling Dash-8's? That would be a pretty short Jazz flight from YVR
Old Jun 27, 2003, 5:55 pm

smiles ... nope not this Lady... but know who you mean.... That lady will live with that slip of a flapping tongue FOREVER...
Old Jun 27, 2003, 6:38 pm
exAC

...The 99 needs upgrading to Whistler, ...</font>
As does
Kelowna to Salmon Arm
Lake Louise to Golden
Revelstoke to Salmon Arm
Port Mann to Abbottsford

BC needs another Flyin' Phill

Old Jul 2, 2003, 8:42 am

It's all over the TV now - CBC, CTV, TSN, Global. 1 more hour!
Old Jul 2, 2003, 8:55 am

Salzburg is out, it is going to a second vote for Vancouver and Pyeongchang
Old Jul 2, 2003, 8:56 am

Will Vancouver gain those votes that Salzburg got?

[This message has been edited by cslusarc (edited 07-02-2003).]
Old Jul 2, 2003, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AE
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by superdawg:
Salzburg is out, it is going to a second vote for Vancouver and Pyeongchang</font>
Wow! That's a big surprise.
Old Jul 2, 2003, 9:41 am

I don't know if people realize there is considerable work going on right now on the Sea to Sky highway. We were in Whistler last week and were surprised to see extensive road work (heavy equipment, blasting, etc) for a considerable portion of the highway. We asssumed the government pushed through the start of road work on this highway in order to bolster the bid process. However, I don't think taxpayers had quite accepted this expense or even the need for it...????

Am I missing something here? Whether you support the bid or not, it doesn't seem right to me to go ahead with such a major expense without cost/benefit analysis and support of the people paying for it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.