Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Weird call sign on UA flight ORD->YYZ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2003, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K MM * DL MM * HH Diamond * Marriott Lifetime Titanium * Queen's '92

Ok this might belong in the UA forum, but some AC content...

Flew last week on UA114 from ORD->YYZ.

As most of you know, on UA you can listen to tower communications on Ch 9.

Here's the odd part.

From ORD to the Canadian border, the call sign being used was *AC* 1014. And them from there to YYZ, it was UA 8109.

I'm pretty certain that this was us as we followed all the directions given by the tower, and I'm pretty sure there was no UA 8109 with our equipment type landing at YYZ at that same moment.

Thoughts?
Simon
Old Jul 4, 2003, 4:58 am

This has nothing to do with your post other than that it involves a call sign -- I flew ORD-SJC once on United...and was listening in. We were referred to as "Lifeboat XXXX", with XXXX being the call sign. The captain came off after take off, noting that for those of us listening in, Lifeboat was a special term meaning that we were carrying human organs for transplant -- and so we had special priority.

Makes sense -- I was wondering why at O'Hare we had scooted right to the front of the pack, passing 18 planes in the line for takeoff.

At each step along the way, as we were handed off to the next control sector (i.e. Denver) you could hear a special tone in the controller's voice as soon as the United Pilot announced our call sign with "lifeboat." And in SJC, we were given a straight in landing, you could hear them moving a bunch of other flights out of the way. We were met on the ground with an ambulance.....I only hope that the transplant went well!
Old Jul 4, 2003, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Very cool story, thanks for sharing it.
Old Jul 4, 2003, 9:37 am

The idents used to identify medical priority flights are "lifeguard" (USA) and "medevac" (Canada). Other priorities given are for aircraft that have declared an emergency, those carrying heads of state, and those on air defense missions.
Old Jul 7, 2003, 10:32 am
formerly ssw207

Programs: BAGld, JLJGC, TK*G, EK-G, HH Dia,IHG Amb-PE, Bonvoy Gd, Shangrila DM
I think they call the non-combat USAF/USN flights "Liberty xxxx". Heard that at HKG, when I was on a outbound UA flight and a USN P-3 Orion came in for landing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.