Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Flight Credit - Within 12 months of purchase

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2019, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Hi all,

Every time I try to call they're always busy so I just thought I'd see if anyone has ever had any luck with a particular situation.. Last August I had purchased tickets for a Christmas trip (traveling on the 26th). On the night of the 25th we had a medical emergency and had to spend the night at the hospital, so naturally we did not travel. I was lucky enough to get a flight credit (for $200/pp to rebook of course), but that we'd have to complete travel within a year of the original purchase.

Has anyone ever had ANY luck at getting them to let you book travel 1 year of the original travel date? Circumstances will prevent me from traveling anywhere by August but we go to Florida every December after Christmas. I'm probably asking too much, but you never know. If there's a zero percent chance of this happening then I won't bother asking, but just wondering other people's experience.

Thanks!
Old Mar 19, 2019, 1:04 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Some fare rules allow you to extend the ticket validity for an additional 3 months (for a fee), but I've never heard of the rules changing to allow 1 year from date of original travel.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 1:29 pm

3 month extensions can sometimes be made by paying a fee. There is a separate thread on this that has been updated in the past few days, but that won't help you in this case. 3 months from August will be November. Hopefully you can find use for your ticket by then. Please note that you have to begin travel by the expiration date; your return can be up to 1 year from the time you begin travel.

Not sure if the $200pp is the value of the credit, or the change fee, but there is another way to extend your ticket (people have done this in the past for Aeroplan bookings for various reasons). If you are based somewhere with other airports close by, like YOW, what you could do would be to change your booking to a multi city itinerary such as:
YOW-YUL
YUL-Florida
Florida-YOW/YUL.

Book YOW-YUL for August, take a bus/car/etc. back.
Book the next leg - YUL-Florida in December and the return to YOW/YUL afterwards at a time that suits.
canadiancow likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.