Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Mar 17, 2019: Fire in International YYZ T1, evacuated, Intl/US flights impacted

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mar 17, 2019: Fire in International YYZ T1, evacuated, Intl/US flights impacted

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2019, 7:29 pm

Programs: AC SE

The view at YYZ.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 7:34 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
A picture can’t do it justice... thousands of people queued outside E security and no updates from anyone for 2h.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 7:50 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Are all domestic flights unaffected?
Old Mar 17, 2019, 7:52 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
I don't know what would be worse ... to be stuck in the airport, in a crowd of thousands of people, trying to get to your flight .... or to be locked in a plane after your flight, unable to get to the terminal.

Both would suuuuuuuuuuuuck
skybluesea, wrp96 and TEBraniff like this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 7:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Old Mar 17, 2019, 7:53 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Looks like things on the Intl side about to get moving: "We will shortly commence screening for outbound international flights currently being held at Terminal 1, and we are working to release inbound passengers currently on the tarmac for processing shortly. All outbound U.S. flights from Terminal 1 are cancelled for this evening."
@jc94 - lots of delays from what I saw on the board earlier, guessing a result of logistics impact vs. direct fire issues.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by canopus27
I don't know what would be worse ... to be stuck in the airport, in a crowd of thousands of people, trying to get to your flight .... or to be locked in a plane after your flight, unable to get to the terminal.

Both would suuuuuuuuuuuuck
Airrport without a doubt. Especially if in Y. Thankfully no 737s impacted with those tiny washrooms.

Originally Posted by 24left
About time really?
Old Mar 17, 2019, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by AskTravis
Looks like things on the Intl side about to get moving: "We will shortly commence screening for outbound international flights currently being held at Terminal 1, and we are working to release inbound passengers currently on the tarmac for processing shortly. All outbound U.S. flights from Terminal 1 are cancelled for this evening."
@jc94 - lots of delays from what I saw on the board earlier, guessing a result of logistics impact vs. direct fire issues.
Thanks.

Hopefully they can get it resolved soon or T3 can handle the overflow for however long it takes. What a week for Air Canada. At least the weather is fine.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 8:24 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Glad no one was hurt

Also glad that 15 left in the AM/on time today and missed it
Old Mar 17, 2019, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
Poor little AC can't catch a break these days.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 8:31 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
So they open E security around 10pm (oh how I wish I had stayed airside at the D gates instead of listening to the AC agent...) and there is a massive bum rush, chaos, not enough people doing crowd control.

As I am just about at the actual checkpoint the concierge calls and says they are boarding MUC and where am I. She then tells me to run, so I get through security and run, sign shows final call as I get to the gate. And of course how we’re sitting here waiting for probably dozens of pax and not going anywhere.

I get that issues happen. But zero communication and then one phone call from the concierge telling me to run over the course of 3 hours in YYZ tonight.

What a mess.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by lcohen999
Glad no one was hurt

Also glad that 15 left in the AM/on time today and missed it
I saw a report of minor injuries and one person taken to hospital (assume smoke related and maybe pre existing issue) but that’s a guess.

Hopefully all affected are okay now. Some serious investigation needed.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 8:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by ratherbeinyow
so they open e security around 10pm (oh how i wish i had stayed airside at the d gates instead of listening to the ac agent...) and there is a massive bum rush, chaos, not enough people doing crowd control.

As i am just about at the actual checkpoint the concierge calls and says they are boarding muc and where am i. She then tells me to run, so i get through security and run, sign shows final call as i get to the gate. And of course how we’re sitting here waiting for probably dozens of pax and not going anywhere.

I get that issues happen. But zero communication and then one phone call from the concierge telling me to run over the course of 3 hours in yyz tonight.

What a mess.

ac0846/17mar equ aca77wc01
cty tml arr dep grnd air cabins j o y
yyz - 2105 - 07.45
muc 0950*1 total time yyzmuc 7.45
rmks/dlyd due fire in yyz terminal
yyz 2235 01:30l muc 1118 01:28l 77w gnc ed ea
dep tml t1 gate --/e77
arr tml 2 gate --/-----
Old Mar 17, 2019, 9:02 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
In my usual self-focused way, I am simply glad I'm home with the kidlets and my gorgeous wife as opposed to transiting through YYZ as I do way too frequently.

And for some of you here that I "know" I feel badly for you being stuck in that madness today.

But again - I'm all about me and I'm really enjoying my bottle of Trinity Hill Syrah (which I recommend)
skybluesea and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
I am on AC877 FRA-YYZ. We have been sitting at the de-icing area for almost 2 and a half hours. Everyone on board are amazingly patient about it. About half an hour ago captain said we’d be next to the terminal, meanwhile all the other big jets around us have found a home but we are still here. Apparently some issue with taxiing to our gate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.