Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

TATL High Fare Work-a-Round Question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2019, 12:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma

i would normally call in but trying not to with all the current rescheduling and long waits. I am hopeful a fellow FTer will know the answer or have a suggestion.

J fares to CDG and LHR are presently outrageous for my travel dates. If I take a non-direct option (one stop) there are possibilities. Stops in Europe range from Germany to Brussels or Vienna. Closer cities such as Zürich or Geneva not on the list as options.

Questions: if I call in can they do a manual something to get me different choices for the stop or would I be limited to what the online itineraries were? The stop would be just long enough to change planes (i.e., not a real stopover). Is there a way to do this online (I have a code to use)? I was already doing multi-city for the tx but what I’m asking about is not multi-city.

Of course, one can go anywhere for a price but my objective is to keep the price down.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 9:51 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
If you are buying a fare to CDG the route doesn't matter... it's still a fare to CDG
YYZ-CDG in Z class should be the same fare as YYZ-VIE-CDG in Z class
What works better is YYZ-CDG (stop) then CDG-VIE and then back to YYZ however
This way your price is to VIE with a stopover point

Highly doubt this can be done on the website with a discount code
Old Mar 17, 2019, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ABG
If you are buying a fare to CDG the route doesn't matter... it's still a fare to CDG
YYZ-CDG in Z class should be the same fare as YYZ-VIE-CDG in Z class
What works better is YYZ-CDG (stop) then CDG-VIE and then back to YYZ however
This way your price is to VIE with a stopover point

Highly doubt this can be done on the website with a discount code
Thanks for your thoughts. To clarify, I’m already doing a multi-City from YYZ in revenue J. A nondirect flight via somewhere like Vienna or FRA/MUC is a couple of thousand $ cheaper (one way). No typo here. LHR does not offer the same savings with a stop.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Not sure what you expect. Non-stops to a destination city are almost always more expensive than connecting to that city. You pay for the convenience of a nonstop.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 8:46 pm

OP, what does "manual something" mean? Do you mean: Will the agent look up every single possible stop combination to find me the cheapest price?
If that is what you mean, I would say unlikely but YMMV.

As mentioned, non-stop often costs more than direct due to convenience.
My guess is that in your situation, the nonstop is a higher booking class than the options with connections. So you'll just have to dig around and find those routes that offer cheaper J fares.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bartolo
i would normally call in but trying not to with all the current rescheduling and long waits. I am hopeful a fellow FTer will know the answer or have a suggestion.

J fares to CDG and LHR are presently outrageous for my travel dates. If I take a non-direct option (one stop) there are possibilities. Stops in Europe range from Germany to Brussels or Vienna. Closer cities such as Zürich or Geneva not on the list as options.
Would guess closer cities are not listed because trains are a far more viable option. Closer cities may not flights.
Great Circle Mapper
Old Mar 17, 2019, 9:42 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Other options is use a Euro Carrier to a non-hub city. For example, to go to CDG, I would look at BA or KLM where you have to connect. When I was regularly flying to LHR, I could get a non stop for ~$6,000 in J. However, I could frequently get a J ticket to LIN (Milan) in J for around $2,000 on BA. So I'd fly to MIlan (connecting at LHR) have lunch and then on a seperate ticket fly back to LHR. Reverse the procedure going home. Made for a longer day, but in the summer I could buy J for less than Y that way.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:24 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA

Thanks for your thoughts. To clarify, I’m already doing a multi-City from YYZ in revenue J. A nondirect flight via somewhere like Vienna or FRA/MUC is a couple of thousand $ cheaper (one way). No typo here. LHR does not offer the same savings with a stop.
Has nothing to do with fare then, but more about availability for your specific dates
Not really sure why this needed a thread
The same can be said about any route on Air Canada regardless of class of service
You might not be able to get a L class seat YYZ-YVR, but if you are willing to go YYZ-YYC-YVR you might get the L seat and hence a lower fare
flyquiet likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Many thanks for the various ideas. Appreciated. A non-stop flight is probably not in the cards this time around if I stick with AC. I’ve obviously been lucky so far on my many TATLs since with a little flexibility, I’ve been able to get something.

My question formed when I noticed I could do YYZ-VIE-CDG for less than half YYZ-CDC. It seemed odd, initially, that closer places such as Zürich, Amsterdam, Genève, etc weren’t listed as possible change points for the ticket. I simply wondered whether anyone had luck getting AC to broaden the list without significantly increasing the price.

Addendum: Interesting to learn AF is less than half the price in J.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:01 pm
ABG

Addendum: Interesting to learn AF is less than half the price in J.
I'm still lost... if this is a function of fare and not availability then speak to a professional TA about a J class fare match so you can earn under AC and fly direct

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.