Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Contacting AC - not accepting calls

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Contacting AC - not accepting calls

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:01 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by 5mm
But that are how phone systems work. There are only so many lines. Once max is reach, you are lucky even to get a message. Usually the phone line will ring busy or drop.
That's not how phone systems work.

Not phone systems in the 21st century, anyway.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:30 pm

Programs: AC FOTSG, DL WM
Originally Posted by YVRtoYYZ
Are you suggesting that anglophones use the "francais" option when calling AC?
C'est bien facile. Apprenez simplement le français, puis appelez.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 9:04 pm

Programs: AC e75K, *G, SPG/MR PPE
Originally Posted by shadowspar
C'est bien facile. Apprenez simplement le français, puis appelez.
shhhhh ca c’est mon secret....

the French line can be much faster to get through on... on AC and Aeroplan.

If your French isn’t up to snuff the agents generally speak English.

Twickenham and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by meagicano

shhhhh ca c’est mon secret....

the French line can be much faster to get through on... on AC and Aeroplan.

If your French isn’t up to snuff the agents generally speak English.

You missed the cedilla.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by pprrff
Don't forget that they have to pay every minute for every call to a toll-free number (usually under a penny a minute and a bit more from payphones but I'm sure it adds up) so it's not in their interest to take those calls. Of course they could implement a callback system.
That's why I always call my credit card's "Call Collect" number on the card.

When they're paying dollars per minute, you get good people and they tend to avoid putting you on hold. Just be sure to have some kind of answer for "where you're on holiday", or just say you're in that area code so you thought you'd call that number instead of the toll-free.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 9:45 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Originally Posted by YVRtoYYZ
Are you suggesting that anglophones use the "francais" option when calling AC?
Well you know "Bonjour, s'il-vous-plaît, merci", letters of the alphabet and numbers can get you a long way!
Old Mar 12, 2019, 10:12 pm
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by KenHamer

Maybe you should tell that to Rogers and the City of Vancouver? Because that’s what happened to me 2 months ago.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 12:08 am

Programs: AC e75K, *G, SPG/MR PPE
Originally Posted by Stranger
You missed the cedilla.
I can’t figure out how to add it on this phone!
Old Mar 13, 2019, 2:51 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Accor Diamond
Not just at AC but a large proportion of the times, I get answered in English even if I select Français
Old Mar 13, 2019, 6:40 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by 5mm
Maybe you should tell that to Rogers and the City of Vancouver? Because that’s what happened to me 2 months ago.
Try calling the CRA or TTC. In the past it's been too busy to even get into a queue.
Or of course some family doctors where they have ... one line.

Best option is really one that others use where they call you back - of course, with AC I'd worry that I'd never get that call back!
Old Mar 13, 2019, 12:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TravellingGypsy

I’m unsure how many call center agents AC has working at any one time, but I’m fairly confident it’s <50,000.

There’s no point to keeping an infinite number of callers on hold, with a finite number of agents to take those calls.
If they had more agents than people calling, no one would ever be on hold

A callback system would likely solve the problem as well.

However, the issue is when I have an urgent need, and can't even get in the queue. Other people trying to change seats for their November flight may give up after 10 minutes, but since I'd be in the queue, I'll eventually have my call handled.

I seem to recall inbound calls cost me more than outbound calls, so at least at my scale (i.e. personal use), it was actually cheaper to have the system immediately hang up and call me back.
Finkface likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 6:56 pm

It is pathetic. I had the same message last night as I just did 15 minutes ago. Mine is not urgent but I need to talk to someone soon as I have a difficult itinerary that I can’t do myself.
so in saying that - ok I can’t speak to no one or even be put on hold or receive a call back..... what about the people urgently trying to change plans or need to speak to someone for assistance?
Right now, nobody can get through no matter who is calling?
Old Mar 13, 2019, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by KenHamer

Not sure what you mean by that - but - there are multiple points in the telephone system that certainly won't handle an infinite queue without either:
- busy,
- fail to connect with no busy,
- fail to queue at destination system (maybe with a message).
- all the way to fail to originate (at multiple levels/reasons)
Old Mar 14, 2019, 10:09 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by robsaw
Not sure what you mean by that - but - there are multiple points in the telephone system that certainly won't handle an infinite queue without either:
- busy,
- fail to connect with no busy,
- fail to queue at destination system (maybe with a message).
- all the way to fail to originate (at multiple levels/reasons)
PLUS

Failure by AC to consider that they should improve their handling of calls (answering and customer service) because "call wait times are longer because all you people keep calling in to buy tickets, change tickets, upsell tickets, cancel tickets, and really, we don't have a website that can handle a lot of this."

Failure by AC to consider that by advising customers who are traveling in the next 72 hours, to call in, but no calls are answered. And yes, understandably, AC was not prepared for the MAX grounding and so many pax needing to be rebooked.

Imagine if AC had other really awesome and functional points of contact along with a website that allowed some of the simpler changes.

Imagine if those affected by the MAX, who actually tried to rebook on another flight and aircraft were able to rebook on the website and not hit with the demand for another $1,000, when there should be no increases or fees.

just saying...
Old Mar 15, 2019, 6:27 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by 24left
PLUS

Failure by AC to consider that they should improve their handling of calls (answering and customer service) because "call wait times are longer because all you people keep calling in to buy tickets, change tickets, upsell tickets, cancel tickets, and really, we don't have a website that can handle a lot of this."

Failure by AC to consider that by advising customers who are traveling in the next 72 hours, to call in, but no calls are answered. And yes, understandably, AC was not prepared for the MAX grounding and so many pax needing to be rebooked.

Imagine if AC had other really awesome and functional points of contact along with a website that allowed some of the simpler changes.

Imagine if those affected by the MAX, who actually tried to rebook on another flight and aircraft were able to rebook on the website and not hit with the demand for another $1,000, when there should be no increases or fees.

just saying...
I have a dream.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.