Search

Direct with stops on AC?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2019, 7:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*E
Direct with stops on AC?

Hello All,
I flew AC 0834 last night YYZ-YUL and was surprised to hear it announced that the flight would continue on to Geneva (GVA), (Fwiw, this was a big plane with 2 door boarding, I've seen other airlines do this, but this was the first time I've seen it for AC.) I have so many questions... I was hoping some of you more experienced flyer can explain the logic of this to me. All passengers were asked to deboard in Montreal even if they were continuing on ("Hold on to your boarding pass"). It appeared as if most passengers were having a final destination in Montreal. Why does Air Canada schedule it like this? I was looking at Flight Aware and it appears like they even change gauge sometimes during a stop, which to me makes more sense as a different flight #. Is there also a crew change? How do I avoid this if I want to travel over seas? But to circle back to my first question, just why? It seems so complicated.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 7:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You are describing a "direct" flight. E.g., one that makes stops. In air carrier booking parlance, this was a direct flight YYZ-GVA with a stop at YUL for some passengers and a nonstop for those flying YYZ-YUL or YUL-GVA.

This is all about scheduling, aircraft utilization, and marketing. It affects neither you nor a passenger departing YUL. For a passenger seeking to fly YYZ-GVA, it offerrs a relatively seamless travel experience on a route which otherwise cannot be supported because there is not likely sufficient traffic to support service between YYZ-GVA as well as YUL-GVA.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 8:32 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by drdrma
Hello All,
I flew AC 0834 last night YYZ-YUL and was surprised to hear it announced that the flight would continue on to Geneva (GVA), (Fwiw, this was a big plane with 2 door boarding, I've seen other airlines do this, but this was the first time I've seen it for AC.) I have so many questions... I was hoping some of you more experienced flyer can explain the logic of this to me. All passengers were asked to deboard in Montreal even if they were continuing on ("Hold on to your boarding pass"). It appeared as if most passengers were having a final destination in Montreal. Why does Air Canada schedule it like this? I was looking at Flight Aware and it appears like they even change gauge sometimes during a stop, which to me makes more sense as a different flight #. Is there also a crew change? How do I avoid this if I want to travel over seas? But to circle back to my first question, just why? It seems so complicated.
AC834 is a direct flight (i.e. one flight number) from Toronto to Geneva with a stop in Montreal (AC835 is the return flight). The YYZ-YUL portion is part of the “Rapid Air” group of flights, so yes, there’s a lot of passengers who take that flight for domestic purposes only.

My guess is AC schedules it like this because they want to serve GVA but can only justify it based on the combined demand from both markets. It actually works well and the A330 they use provides extra lift capacity during the rush hour flights between Montreal and Toronto.

The drop in gauge sometimes happens when the TATL portion of the flight is delayed; AC will sub in a narrow-body to operate just the domestic portion.

As for complexity, I guess sitting on the plane in YUL when you’re traveling YYZ-YUL-GVA is better than de-planing, sure. But it’s probably easier from a logistics standpoint to make sure you only have GVA-destined pax when the international portion takes off... it can be an expensive mistake to “forget” a YUL-destined passenger aboard Also, when flying the other way, all passengers clear Canadian customs formalities in YUL anyway, so they have no choice but to de-plane everyone.
Transpacificflyer and drdrma like this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 8:36 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
They make everyone deplane to avoid having passengers mistakenly end up at the wrong destination and also more importantly to do a document (passport) check for those continuing on to GVA.
They do the same thing for flights going YYZ - YVR - Asia. Everyone deplanes at YYR where for some passengers this is a final destination. Then they do doc check while reboarding for pax that boarded in YYZ and 'new' pax that are boarding in YVR. Nothing unusual.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
To avoid these in the future, you want to ensure you are on a "non-stop" rather than "direct" flight wherever possible. Mind you in many circumstances there are non non-stop alternatives available.

Other common international "direct" routes on AC include:
YYZ-YVR-SYD
YYZ-YYC-NRT
Old Mar 10, 2019, 8:43 am

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
There are currently only three AC international flight pairs that operate direct with a stop - AC834/835, AC9/10 and AC33/34. All require passengers to disembark and re-board before taking off for the international portion. As has been mentioned, it would be a painfully expensive mistake to have the wrong passengers onboard.

In two months time, a fourth AC flight pair will resume operating the direct with a stop fashion - AC92/93. When this flight operated this way in 2017, all passengers going to EZE disembarked at SCL, cleared security, then continued onto EZE; same procedures the opposite direction.
drdrma likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 9:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I don't think anyone's really answered the question.

Why can't they just have YYZ-YUL and YUL-GVA as separate flights?

To the passenger, the only difference is how many boarding passes you have. I can't think of any difference to AC.

It's not like AC 34 pax from SYD have never missed 34 YVR-YYZ before, so it doesn't even guarantee your "connection".
Old Mar 10, 2019, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow

To the passenger, the only difference is how many boarding passes you have. I can't think of any difference to AC.

It's not like AC 34 pax from SYD have never missed 34 YVR-YYZ before, so it doesn't even guarantee your "connection".
No, it certainly doesn't guarantee your connection (except AC92/93, but that's a different story). But I wonder if flights AC33/834/9 are catered at YYZ? That certainly reduces the need to cater at the YVR/YUL/YYC station stops.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 10:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
But that could be done regardless of using the same flight number.

Though I'm pretty sure they don't do that.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 10:08 am

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by canadiancow

Agreed.

AC888/889 YOW/LHR actually operates as YYZ-YOW-LHR and LHR-YOW-YYZ but in that instance the YOW/YYZ segments operate as separate flight numbers. Why the difference?

The only thing I can think of is marketing. Same flight number makes it look like there is a YYZ-GVA and YYZ-SYD flight to the FOTSG crowd. There are lots of YYZ-LHR already so need for this with AC 888/889.
Aselwyn likes this.

Last edited by RatherBeInYOW; Mar 10, 2019 at 10:22 am Reason: Fixed flight numbers. I fly them often enough you'd think I would know...
Old Mar 10, 2019, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
Agreed.

AC838/839 YOW/LHR actually operates as YYZ-YOW-LHR and LHR-YOW-YYZ but in that instance the YOW/YYZ segments operate as separate flight numbers. Why the difference?

The only thing I can think of is marketing. Same flight number makes it look like there is a YYZ-GVA and YYZ-SYD flight to the FOTSG crowd. There are lots of YYZ-LHR already so need for this with AC 838/839.
You mean 888/889.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 10:22 am

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by YYT82

You mean 888/889.
Yes. /Facepalm
Old Mar 10, 2019, 10:26 am

I have to frequently explain to my extended family the difference between "direct" and "non-stop" flights - and how they are NOT the same thing.

As to why? I believe a lot does come down to marketing and how they sell the "direct" flight and deal with IRROPS/re-routing and re-scheduling of such flights.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 10:31 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by robsaw
I have to frequently explain to my extended family the difference between "direct" and "non-stop" flights - and how they are NOT the same thing.
Yeah, it's a common (and understandable) area of confusion and terminology misuse for a lot of people. Glad to see my family and friends aren't the only ones.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 10:46 am

Programs: AC SE MM; SPG Plat
Does "direct" allow pax to keep the same seat, whereas there would be lots of confusion if AC treated it as two flights? Just wondering if that is another reason to do it this way ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.