Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Western Canada to Europe/Casablanca Flight Pass question re stopover in YYZ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2019, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE

I am wondering if you can use a western canada flight pass to Europe to fly the following
April 1 YYC-YYZ afternoon
April 2 YYZ-LHR evening
using one credit?
Old Feb 28, 2019, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by 300rwhp
I am wondering if you can use a western canada flight pass to Europe to fly the following
April 1 YYC-YYZ afternoon
April 2 YYZ-LHR evening
using one credit?
No because that would be considered 2 separate trips (YYC->YYZ and YYZ -> LHR).

However, you could do something like say:

Departs Calgary Apr 1 at 12:25 arrives in Toronto at 18:11
Departs Toronto Apr 2 at 09:00 arrives in Heathrow at 21:00

The general rule here is the maximum connection time in any one city must be under 24 hours when it's international travel for it to be considered a layover. Anything at, or exceeding 24 hours is considered a stop over and will be calculated as two one-ways.

Generally speaking, whatever you see on the FlightPass site for availability is what can be booked. There have been reports by some on the forum of calling in to AC to get the odd flight that doesn't appear with the success there being fairly limited. If you haven't bought the flight pass, you can always click the Preview Availability button for the flight pass to literally look up what the availability would be for the selected pass, routing and date of departure.

Hope that provides insight.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Mar 1, 2019, 2:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
If you can get the second flight on the next day, then SDC rules will allow you to move it beyond the 24 hour threshold.

So yes, it's definitely possible. But what do I know. I have way less FP experience than James, and have certainly never easily broken the 4/24 hour connection time rule on one FP credit.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
If you can get the second flight on the next day, then SDC rules will allow you to move it beyond the 24 hour threshold.

So yes, it's definitely possible. But what do I know. I have way less FP experience than James, and have certainly never easily broken the 4/24 hour connection time rule on one FP credit.
I'd hardly call myself a FP Guru - I've only managed corporate flight passes for Eastern Triangle Westerm US, RapidAir and now personally the Weekender flight passes. My experience has been at least in speaking with agents a case largely of YMMV. Some agents are insistent on sticking with what the website says. Similar thing with SDC on legs. Some say you must take the segments as booked others allow flexibility. Certainly I wouldn't want to make a purchase decision of a several thousand dollar flight pass on a reliance that you'll always be able to SDC as you like. After all this is AC we're talking about not UA

-James
Old Mar 1, 2019, 2:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
SDC'ing a domestic segment to an earlier or later flight on the same day is always possible (if there's space on the target flight). SDC is not YMMV when you're in a flexible fare class and want to move to a non-full flight on the same routing.

I'm less familiar with international SDC, but this problem can be solved with a domestic SDC.

The solution here doesn't even differentiate between FP, regular tickets, Aeroplan tickets, or any other type of ticket.

Book something reasonable with segment 1 on April 1 and segment 2 on April 2, and then SDC.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 2:33 pm

Another thing to consider is the fare category you're purchasing the flight pass for. It'll be easier to pull what cow is saying on a latitude pass than say a Flex. The change fees would also be a lot less as well. For instance on the Weekender pass I have for domestic Canada a day of travel change is $175 (ouch). That may also weigh into your decision to change.

Do you have a particular fare you're thinking of purchasing the pass for?

-James
Old Mar 1, 2019, 3:36 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
so make the YYZ-LHR flight on Apr 2 the morning flight, and then SDC to any of the later flights even if they leave more than 24 hours after YYC-YYZ was scheduled to arrive on Apr 1 ?

Sounds great! I never considered that.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 3:51 pm

Per the terms of the Western Canada to Europe/Casablanca flight pass it would cost $100 for the same-day airport change (or $50 if online anytime) if the fare is booked in Flex with flights needing to have V fare availability. I'm unsure how SDC would work in that context (i.e. if there's an open Y seat but no V seat would pax STDBY for the flight?). Otherwise, if you're travelling on a Latitude, PY or J bucket flight pass, changes are free anytime and so long as there's availability in the respective cabin (Y, PY or J) you should be golden. That being said, the difference in flight passes between a Flex and Latitude are significant (i.e. ~$4000 for the 6 pack)

Some food for thought nonetheless.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Mar 1, 2019, 3:54 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq
so make the YYZ-LHR flight on Apr 2 the morning flight, and then SDC to any of the later flights even if they leave more than 24 hours after YYC-YYZ was scheduled to arrive on Apr 1 ?

Sounds great! I never considered that.
It works with standard international fares, even allowing you to book ARN-FRA-YUL-YYZ and SDC to ARN-FRA-YYZ for example. Contingent upon fare bucket being available. And change fees (but at least it is a SDC fee rather than a much bigger fee plus fare difference). I have done it recently and it worked well. I would imagine this is a case where FP would behave the same as a regular fare, but you would be very well advised to monitor the fare bucket.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 3:55 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
James,

You obviously have no experience with SDC on AC. It's based on cabin availability on day of departure (V space not required, positive space required in the cabin). The $100 fee is correct. The change can only be made at the airport or through the concierge if you are a 100K member.
canadiancow and Adam Smith like this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 3:56 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Originally Posted by ridefar
It works with standard international fares, even allowing you to book ARN-FRA-YUL-YYZ and SDC to ARN-FRA-YYZ for example. Contingent upon fare bucket being available. And change fees (but at least it is a SDC fee rather than a much bigger fee plus fare difference). I have done it recently and it worked well. I would imagine this is a case where FP would behave the same as a regular fare, but you would be very well advised to monitor the fare bucket.
Except a flight pass won't let you route to ARN. Flight pass is AC metal only.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by j2simpso
Per the terms of the Western Canada to Europe/Casablanca flight pass it would cost $100 for the same-day airport change (or $50 if online anytime) if the fare is booked in Flex with flights needing to have V fare availability. I'm unsure how SDC would work in that context (i.e. if there's an open Y seat but no V seat would pax STDBY for the flight?). Otherwise, if you're travelling on a Latitude, PY or J bucket flight pass, changes are free anytime and so long as there's availability in the respective cabin (Y, PY or J) you should be golden. That being said, the difference in flight passes between a Flex and Latitude are significant (i.e. ~$4000 for the 6 pack)

Some food for thought nonetheless.

Safe Travels,

James
I don't believe the SDC change fee is free in J buckets. You will be charged if you want a confirmed change as opposed to chancing the standby list which would be free. (Or is this a case where FP differs from a standard fare based on bucket on specific FP rules?)
Old Mar 1, 2019, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by Nitehawk
Except a flight pass won't let you route to ARN. Flight pass is AC metal only.
Very true, I was just trying to illustrate. You can just take the ARN off if you like, and the point stands. Might as well since there are no 5th freedom AC flights.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by ridefar
I don't believe the SDC change fee is free in J buckets. You will be charged if you want a confirmed change as opposed to chancing the standby list which would be free. (Or is this a case where FP differs from a standard fare based on bucket on specific FP rules?)
This business flight pass permits anytime change:

Old Mar 1, 2019, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by Nitehawk
James,

You obviously have no experience with SDC on AC. It's based on cabin availability on day of departure (V space not required, positive space required in the cabin). The $100 fee is correct. The change can only be made at the airport or through the concierge if you are a 100K member.
And if made through the concierge, it would be issued as a new ticket until you are actually charged. That matters in some cases.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.