Search

Air Canada launches YVR-AKL route

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2019, 12:39 am
Original Member

As did I in SYD.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 9:34 am

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
It's been a while since I've flown NZ, so I'll defer to those who have more recent experience. Last time I went to AKL it was on EK in F from YYZ. That 17 hr flight from DXB-AKL had time for two showers . But maybe AC next time.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by Academic
It's been a while since I've flown NZ, so I'll defer to those who have more recent experience. Last time I went to AKL it was on EK in F from YYZ. That 17 hr flight from DXB-AKL had time for two showers . But maybe AC next time.
But did you go to work right after?
Old Feb 27, 2019, 10:19 am

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by drvannostren

I do kinda expect this grow though, almost all of these routes from YVR introduced in the past year or two clearly seem to be doing well, because they've all started like this and been up-gauged, or more days added, or year round service. The only ones that seem not to have are the European summer routes to CDG/ZRH/FRA.
AC's service to TPE has not performed as desired and it's been announced they're reducing from daily service. It remains to be seen whether the HKG route will be restored to 77W in the summer, some feel the 789 is a more appropriate aircraft; others wonder 'what else would they do' with the 77Ws.

As a YVR employee and obviously living here, I'm in favor of any new routes from any airlines here...as long as it's not just another Chinese carrier. What I'm BEGGING for is SOMEONE to fly to Central America, PTY makes the most sense, and CM makes the most sense especially with their MAX 9s being delivered. It seems the range is ok and I don't think it could support a widebody, but Aeromexico has made a good go of things here, I wanna see STAR jump on this and fly to a WAY better connecting airport in PTY and make getting to all of South and Central America much easier.
I'm not sure why "just another Chinese carrier" doesn't meet your favour for new routes? Love em or hate em, they do offer lots of new destinations and almost unlimited connection opportunities for those flying anywhere that makes sense to depart westbound. You may soon see some cutbacks in 2019 though in the form of further reductions or outright withdrawals from service to and from YVR by Chinese carriers (and likely other carriers serving China).

YVRAA understands the comparative lack of service to Central and South America and is in negotiations to remedy that. Connecting to South America through PTY on CM might be a decent first step, but nonstop is preferred by the various chambers of commerce and boards of trade and aligns better with Air Canada's and the airport's goals of creating a connection hub at YVR. Timing the new AKL flight as they have, Air Canada is appealing to those who fly between the Cdn & US east coast and New Zealand - a route currently unable to be served nonstop. However, they either lack the aircraft and/or don't seem convinced of its long term viability, given the limited schedule.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

More on the NZ arrangement:
Old Feb 27, 2019, 10:47 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
AC's service to TPE has not performed as desired and it's been announced they're reducing from daily service. It remains to be seen whether the HKG route will be restored to 77W in the summer, some feel the 789 is a more appropriate aircraft; others wonder 'what else would they do' with the 77Ws.......

I already pointed out in another thread that YVR-HKG switches back to the 77W as of

As for TPE, it was never daily based on 16 sectors to/from there last year. There were no outbound flights on Friday and the crew on the Thursday flights would always tell me it was a prize to get the extra day away.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:18 am

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by 24left
I already pointed out in another thread that YVR-HKG switches back to the 77W as of...
Yes, you did post that. However, my comment was based upon more recent and less-public information. Things be fluid.

Originally Posted by 24left
As for TPE, it was never daily based on 16 sectors to/from there last year. There were no outbound flights on Friday and the crew on the Thursday flights would always tell me it was a prize to get the extra day away.
YVR-TPE was announced and flew daily from the outset. Between the summer of 2017 and this winter, there have been fluctuations from daily to as few as 5x weekly. It was recently announced that service will reduce from 7x to 6x weekly for the summer season, effective end of April 2019. Mind you, it could be that the AC communications team, the YVR airport communications team and the routesonline folks didn't combine to fly 16 sectors to TPE during that period, and are thus mistaken.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...rvice-changes/
https://aircanada.mediaroom.com/inde...03&item=137515
Air Canada Introduces Non-Stop Service to Nagoya and Taipei | YVR
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...uency-changes/
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:20 am

aeroplan has J seats loaded with mileage listed as NA.... meaning it can't be booked yet until they plug in 80k?
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
Yes, you did post that. However, my comment was based upon more recent and less-public information. Things be fluid.

.....Mind you, it could be that the AC communications team, the YVR airport communications team and the routesonline folks didn't combine to fly 16 sectors to TPE during that period, and are thus mistaken.
Correct.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 3:19 pm

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
Originally Posted by rankourabu
But did you go to work right after?
After all that Hennessy Paradis, I wasn't quite ready to work. But it was a Saturday.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 7:18 pm
Suspended

And swoosh.....

"Air Canada has also finalised a Memorandum of Understanding with Star Alliance partner Air New Zealand, which will see the airlines co-operating in the form of joint venture, subject to regulatory approvals."

"The introduction of the Vancouver flight also gives Kiwis better access to Canada during the winter months.

"The launch of Auckland service in December will be of particular interest to New Zealanders travelling for a Canadian winter vacation, and to North Americans travelling to enjoy New Zealand's vibrant multicultural urban and natural attractions during their summer season," said Lucie Guillemette, executive vice-president and chief commercial officer at Air Canada."

New Zealand Herald

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12208003

Old Feb 27, 2019, 9:45 pm

What I'm BEGGING for is SOMEONE to fly to Central America.
Sunwing flies to LIR this winter.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 10:35 am

YVR is a fin collector, so they're probably worried NZ might pull out
Old Feb 28, 2019, 10:38 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by Jebby_ca
The announcement (mandated) is kept to a minimum
Seat Belts Please
Ceintures de Securite SVP
Old Feb 28, 2019, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
That's awesome news!!!

And the flight times even allow for a domestic connection both ways.

Originally Posted by Academic
But why would you fly AC if you could go with NZ?
I'm a big fan of NZ's J product, especially the service and food/drinks (and NZ's PE product certainly beats AC's), but I could see a few reasons why people may book AC J vs. NZ J:

- some people (incl. myself) would argue that AC's J seats are better and offer more privacy
- ability to upgrade using miles / e-upgrade credits
- generally better mileage accruel rates on AC, especially in J (125% on NZ vs. up to 250% AE miles for SEs)
- potentially better fares for pax originating elsewhere in Canada etc.
- and of course the usual nuisance of needing to earn AQD, corporate contracts, trying to use an AC discount code etc.
Adam Smith likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.