Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Missed AC flight on NH Award ticket, open jaw of Round the World

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2019, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, working on OZ Diamond, previously AA EXP, UA 1K, AS MVP75

What can i do?

Can AC put me on the next flight if its an NH award ticket?

This is a RTW ticket with an open jaw in north american im departing from Toronto

Should I call AC or NH? I'm hoping AC can help because NH never helps and is never lenient

**Edit: Its the departure after open jaw, and I'm missing it because I booked a separate ticket to got over the open jaw and that flight is on a complete different airline and delayed

Last edited by UAConcorde; Feb 15, 2019 at 2:34 pm
Old Feb 15, 2019, 1:04 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Isn't it if you no show for a segment all subsequent flights will be cancelled? That you need to call NH ASAP and "re-confirm" / change the award?

>> Can AC put me on the next flight if its an NH award ticket?

You can try. Ask at the airport. Do this first I guess.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OP is not clear if this was a missed connection or if he just missed a flight all by himself. Which of course potentially makes a huge difference.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 2:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - Need some details.
1. Why did you miss the flight? E.g., missed connection or you overslept?
2. From & to?

If you simply misconnected, it will be for the carrier causing the delay to rebook you. That might be NH, AC or some other carrier. If you no showed of your own accord, your entire ticket is subject to cancellation and that may already have happened. AC may certainly rebook you as a courtesy and might do that, but it has no obligation to do so. Whatever AC does, you need to be in touch with NH to be certain that your ticket has not been cancelled as it is NH which will need to reinstate the ticket if it is willing.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, working on OZ Diamond, previously AA EXP, UA 1K, AS MVP75
Originally Posted by Stranger
OP is not clear if this was a missed connection or if he just missed a flight all by himself. Which of course potentially makes a huge difference.
Its the departure after open jaw, and I'm missing it because I booked a separate ticket to got over the open jaw and that flight is on a complete different airline and delayed
Old Feb 15, 2019, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
OP - Need some details.
1. Why did you miss the flight? E.g., missed connection or you overslept?
2. From & to?

If you simply misconnected, it will be for the carrier causing the delay to rebook you. That might be NH, AC or some other carrier. If you no showed of your own accord, your entire ticket is subject to cancellation and that may already have happened. AC may certainly rebook you as a courtesy and might do that, but it has no obligation to do so. Whatever AC does, you need to be in touch with NH to be certain that your ticket has not been cancelled as it is NH which will need to reinstate the ticket if it is willing.
Again it is definteily my own accord. Thats what im afraid of. NH has never been willing to do anything for me.... What is AC is willing to rebook me but NH wont?
Old Feb 15, 2019, 5:46 pm

Programs: Back of the bus
I would say if you missed it intentionally (because you wanted to take a different flight) you should suffer and lose the award booking. Especially if you planned it... that seat could have been used for someone else looking for award space.

That said, don't know all the details and it's friday and time for some tequila.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 5:54 pm

Any weather irrops that you could leverage?
canadiancow likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 6:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It would help to know details of the airline whose flight delay is causing you to miss the award ticket segment. It can make a difference if it's a partner versus just some random competing LCC/ULCC.
canadiancow and Often1 like this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 6:48 pm
Suspended

Still unclear why OP is not providing the necessary detail. There is a wealth of experience on this board and a lot of it can be very useful. But, leaving people to guess exactly what carrier he rebooked and where he is delayed, without exact details is not doing much.

On the limited details he has provided he is potentially out of luck and not only won't AC rebook him, but the entirety of the rest of his ticket has been or will be cancelled. Whether there is a way to address this is dependent on OP providing detail.
canopus27 likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

miraculously, the outgoing AC flight also got delayed and I made it!!!!!

I really thought I explained it really well, its NH award, NRT to JFK on NH, then open jaw for a few days, then YYZ to europe on AC

I was coming in on F8, an ULCC, which was delayed so much that I was going to miss the flight out of YYZ on AC

Now assuming I didnt make it, would I lose the whole rest of my RTW ticket? I am confident AC will try to help and be willing to rebook me on the next flight at least ont he AC segment, would the airport AC agent be able to on an NH award ticket stock?

As for NH, im also confident they will not help me as they never seem to do anything off the book. Once there was a passenger next to me in C on an NH flight that got so sick that he was rolling around in the cabin in pain, but the NH crew wouldnt call for a doctor as they say they have guidelines to follow which requires them to call for a doctor on board only when you are unconscious or cant speak or life threatening...
seigex likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 9:19 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
officially, you'd be on your own and lose all the rest of your ticket. unofficially you'd be better saying you were stuck in traffic versus bragging that you saved a bunch of $ by connecting on a low cost carrier/competitor who delivered you late.

AC has internal rebooking guidelines and can rebook if a Star Alliance carrier caused a missed connection and you had booked it on one ticket or separate tickets with at least 2hrs connection time.

AC gets bad press for not promptly rebooking customers who show up on time and have mechanical/maintenance issue....so I wouldn't have expected alot
Old Feb 15, 2019, 10:43 pm

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
OP, you are lucky.
Flight change of ANA's RTW award is permitted before the flight depature at no cost.
However, you have to do that change 96 hours before new/rebooked flight departure.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by UAConcorde
I really thought I explained it really well
Unfortunately you didn’t explain it very well, just that it was a NH rtw and an issue with an open jaw an potentially missed flight. Everything you posted after the fact would have been helpful in post 1.

BTW glad it worked out for you, this had the potential to go very badly for you.

Originally Posted by UAConcorde
NRT to JFK on NH, then open jaw for a few days, then YYZ to europe on AC

I was coming in on F8, an ULCC, which was delayed so much that I was going to miss the flight out of YYZ on AC
Often1 and Happy like this.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 10:05 am
Suspended

Glad you made it. Thanks for the details, they make this all understandable.

To be clear what you proposed to do could have resulted in the entire rest of your ticket being cancelled, leaving you stranded at JFK and needing to purchase a new ticket.

This is not to suggest that this absolutely would have happened. However, it is never a good idea to ignore contract and fare rule provisions without knowing exactly what they provide and then making a risk-based judgment afterwards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.