Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

CBC - AC employees trained to dupe pax on oversold flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CBC - AC employees trained to dupe pax on oversold flights

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2019, 1:08 am

Programs: Aeroplan 75K | Latitude Flight Pass junkie
Air Canada as a business practice can deny passage to customers who have purchased the lowest airfares offered by the airline, but the airline does not warn the customer that this is a risk specific to the airfare.
I think this is really all they need to do. Be transparent that if your purchase basic or standard fare, that they may have the lowest priority in times of irregular operations. (I say “may”, because status comes into play.)
Old Feb 11, 2019, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by Sopwith
This is still one of my favourite posts ever. But the definition of "on time" as it applies to AC needs to be updated since it's now been stretched well beyond 15 minutes. A couple of weeks ago I landed in YYZ and the SD comes on the intercom welcoming us to Toronto and noting our on-time arrival. Problem is, we were 35 minutes behind schedule.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 8:26 am

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by 24left
CBC published this article in 2017. Thanks to their efforts, you'd have to be living under a rock not to understand the concept of overbooking...I just don't understand the suggestion that at this point in history, consumers who fly are unaware of these things. Even if you don't read the CBC, most people have social media access.
I don't believe the practice of overbooking comes as a surprise to many. The story, as we'll see below, is not that AC overbooks it's what they do after having done so. The suggestion that overbooking should be well known because CBC published an article about it two years ago, or that it's a commonly-discussed feature of social media (?) is interesting. I, for one, have never run across such information using these sources.

So, perhaps someone thought the public needed an exposé that focused on crying kids and missed honeymoons.
One of the basic tenets of journalism (as I understand it) is to create a relatable story. Readership depends on more than the printing of hard facts; stories would otherwise read like sterile police reports. Who would care if the reporter interviewed a passenger who claimed "yeah, that was an inconvenience, but I rescheduled my meeting a day later and did some other work in the meantime". The inclusion of "crying kids and missed honeymoons" (I didn't detect empathy in your post but could be mistaken) add the human element, and supports WHY the AC agents felt badly enough about the issue that they chose to resign and go public. Many news outlets regularly go overboard in the drama, but I didn't feel this was the case in this story.

I'm more interested in why CBC felt the need to publish this
These excerpts from other posts might also help:
Originally Posted by Sopwith
What is possibly new, but not particularly surprising, is AC actively training the agents to obfuscate the truth.
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
The issue here is not the denied boarding: Rather, it is the failure to disclose and to warn.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 8:53 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by swonder
Interesting that as part of the document upload, the CBC has published the phone number for Revenue Management OPS: 514-422-6303.

Perhaps if I need some I class availability for my next mini-RTW, I could just call up and ask?
Nice, RM phone number noted for future need 😏. But since Air Canada is so cagey and deceitful, I expect them to change the phone number soon. Or one of the members here (probably SE) whi has contacts within AC will snitch to them about the phone number leak

Just rang the number and someone picked up introducing themselves as "Revenue Management". Perhaps some social engineering could work

Last edited by MasterGeek; Feb 11, 2019 at 9:11 am
Old Feb 11, 2019, 9:42 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Originally Posted by MasterGeek

Nice, RM phone number noted for future need 😏. But since Air Canada is so cagey and deceitful, I expect them to change the phone number soon. Or one of the members here (probably SE) whi has contacts within AC will snitch to them about the phone number leak

Just rang the number and someone picked up introducing themselves as "Revenue Management". Perhaps some social engineering could work
No need for anyone to snitch... Air Canada actively monitors this forum...
MasterGeek likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 10:25 am

I watched a part of this last night.
Erica Johnson asked "any airline insider with a story to share" to get in touch with her.

More hyperbole to follow.
YVRYEGYVR likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 10:32 am

Programs: Air Canada SE100K, Westjet Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, NEXUS
The whole things sounds like sour grapes.

You always hear from ‘former insiders’ at companies re conspiracies, bad training, etc. At the end of the day, the former employee was likely not a good fit and was terminated or left the company voluntarily. I’m dealing with one now. They always believe there is some vast conspiracy against the customer. If it was truly as bad as they claim, employee turnover would be much higher than it is.

I’m not saying AC doesn’t oversell, and sometimes passengers get bumped. I don’t think it happens as often as people claim.

As usual, CBC focuses on Air Canada and how horrible they are. Gabor is always asked to comment on passenger rights. At the end of the day, it is always the same old story. Air Canada needs to choose different channels for the lounge TVs...
Old Feb 11, 2019, 10:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
Or that they are overbooked by like 8 seats and there is some IDB coming.

Which is more likely?
Originally Posted by tracon
Probably the former. VDB will take care of most passengers that can't be loaded.

I know once/year no status passengers that got and opup because Y was oversold and they had GTE on their boarding passes.
There are GTEs on virtually every flight with a load factor over 90%, and they're almost always resolved by PDM 5 minutes after the flight closes.

For example, there were several GTEs on 34 YVR-YYZ this morning, but it ended up departing with 14 empty seats in Y.

GTE does not mean overbooked, and the vast majority of GTE BPs are not on overbooked flights, so any article that says "GTE means you probably won't get on the flight" is completely inaccurate.

I wonder if these people just don't understand why they were being told to let customers know that GTE doesn't mean anything bad. Because it sure sounds that way.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
AC's policy document leaked shows that the families/UM/urgent travelers are indeed to be protected from IDBs, contrary to the story claims...

There's no problem overbooking, if its done properly and the compensation policy is generous enough to mitigate "misses", in my experience, AC is remarkably stingy when it comes to comp (offering a 200 MCO when a 400$ one would do the trick).
Old Feb 11, 2019, 11:24 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by AC7E7
As usual, CBC focuses on Air Canada and how horrible they are. Gabor is always asked to comment on passenger rights. At the end of the day, it is always the same old story.

Yeah, but AC makes it easy for them by not getting ahead of the story for this and other issues. Maybe their PR / Corporate Communications people never took the class on crisis management.
PointWeasel, vernonc and 24left like this.

Last edited by Bohemian1; Feb 11, 2019 at 1:15 pm Reason: Tpyo!
Old Feb 11, 2019, 12:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by AC7E7
As usual, CBC focuses on Air Canada and how horrible they are. Gabor is always asked to comment on passenger rights. At the end of the day, it is always the same old story. Air Canada needs to choose different channels for the lounge TVs...
Perhaps someone in CBC has a grudge against Air Canada for being treated like any cattle and not special for being "press"
Old Feb 11, 2019, 12:41 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
Perhaps someone in CBC has a grudge against Air Canada for being treated like any cattle and not special for being "press"
Hardly. It's easy to find stories with the country's largest and most dominant airline. Keep perspective: even if we read one of these stories per month, it's a tiny blip among the 50+ million passengers carried and lord-knows-how-many annual flights they perform.

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Yeah, but AC makes it easy for them by not getting ahead the story for this and other issues. Maybe their PR / Corporate Communications people never took the class on crisis management.
I'm consistently amazed how poorly the PR machine works at Air Canada, both at addressing negative stories, and also at playing catch-up to feel-good videos generated by competing airlines and even the airports they serve. Here's a department that needs a drastic overhaul, perhaps even more so than IT.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
I'm consistently amazed how poorly the PR machine works at Air Canada, both at addressing negative stories, and also at playing catch-up to feel-good videos generated by competing airlines and even the airports they serve. Here's a department that needs a drastic overhaul, perhaps even more so than IT.
I find there are quite a few qualified candidates right here on this forum
Old Feb 11, 2019, 12:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by rickg523
I find there are quite a few qualified candidates right here on this forum
Yes, but this is FT. We're not running a multi-billion dollar airline, we're just generating enough entertainment for popcorn.
smallmj likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 12:55 pm

Programs: AC 50K
Yes, but this is FT. We're not running a multi-billion dollar airline, we're just generating enough entertainment for popcorn.
I thought the snack of choice for this crowd was the kit kat... or is that assumed, in addition to popcorn...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.