Search

Promo Code Troubles

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2019, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Altitude E50K / *G
Promo Code Troubles

Good afternoon all.

Has anybody ever has issues with using promo codes on PE tickets. I was given a 10% off from customer relations for another matter and I am looking to book flights to Japan. I'm flying out of YOW, but just to make things simple and to try to see what was going on I made a dummy booking out of YUL.

YUL - NRT (AC5) N class
NRT - YUL (AC6) N class

Base fare without coupon : $1844 / YQ: $260
Base fare WITH coupon: $1885 / YQ: $260

The price WITH the coupon is $41 MORE than without. This is a first for me

All the taxes and fees are the same, but the base fare is more with the code than without. They both book into N.

I'm open to suggestions I was thinking 10% of $1844 = $184 so I would like that discount. Is this some new math that I have never heard of
Old Feb 8, 2019, 1:23 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Promo codes don't always apply to all fares. For instance, Tango/Standard has often been excluded.

Can you find the fare basis of the pre-promo code fare? Then you can check it out on EF and see whether there's some rule that prevents promo codes from being applied.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

N0KXCJT is the basis code. Is this what you are referring to?
AGENT DISCOUNTS NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING.
DISCOUNTS MAY BE PERMITTED
REFER TO ACPEDIA PAGE
BLACKOUT PERIODS MAY APPLY.ALL OTHER DISCOUNTS NO DISCOUNTS FOR OTHERS.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

This seems a little unfair when the rules they sent to me were as follows
This discount offer is valid for one year from today. This means you must complete the booking and travel within one year. You may use your discount for a new booking only, not an existing booking. The discount applies to a maximum of four passengers, provided all passengers´ tickets are booked at the same time.

The discount applies to the base published fare for Air Canada, Air Canada Rouge and Air Canada Express designated flights.
I guess it doesn't say that the discount applies to ALL base published fares
Old Feb 8, 2019, 6:37 pm

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
The customer relations promo codes are applicable to all AC fares.

If you got a bad one, then email AC Customer Relations and they will send a new one.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Just an update (and my 2c) ...

Here is the reply that I got from AC. It would seem that @Adam Smith is correct is the assumption that not all fares qualify. Personally I find this practice to be quite dishonest. How is the average person supposed to know that a specific fare does not work with a promo code? At the very least you should get a message that says "This code does not discount fare xxxxx" when you try to use it.

Your discount is applied to the fare when the ticket is purchased. All applicable taxes, fees, charges and surcharges are not discounted. To view your discounted price, complete your booking steps up to the Review Flight Details page and under the `Review final quote details´ section click on the Details button. You will then see the actual discounted revenue amounts without the Air Transportation Charges (which are calculated separately).

On rare occasions, the additional discount may not be applicable on select markets as the fares are already heavily discounted on the Web.
On the flip side I rechecked the flights that I was looking at. The promo code now does discount 10% off the base fare so somebody has "fixed" the issue on that specific fare basis code.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.