Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC 516 HNL to YVR; what happens if I miss my connection to YYZ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2019, 11:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta, Starwood, Fairmount

Please bear with me for asking these stupid questions 😀...

Later this month I will be flying on AC516 HNL to Vancouver connecting to YYZ (last flight of the day) in Aeroplan Business Class.

This flight seems to run consistently late (over two hours today). Connection time is 70 minutes. There are six or seven international/US flights all arriving late at night so customs/immigration could be a zoo 😀.

If I miss my connection..

Will AC pay for a Hotel?
If so the interminal Fairmont (not sure if being in business class helps here)?
What is the fastest way to arrange this - AC Service Desk or phone for rebooking flight and hotel? Where is the service desk at YVR?
If AC will not pay... I assume my Aeroplan Visa will and what documentation do I need aside from the hotel bill to get reimbursed?
Say the inbound flight is late in arriving in HNL can I be proactive and get it all arranged before departing HNL?
Any advice please 😀?

Thank you!!!

Old Feb 1, 2019, 11:52 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Depends on why the flight is late. Despite potential nice weather in YVR and HNL, watch for a “Weather” delay blamed on bad weather in Halifax causing the B38M fin to be delayed getting to YYZ getting to YVR to operate YVR-HNL. Weather delays AC usually says.... “Get Stuffed!”
Old Feb 2, 2019, 7:20 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
The Fairmont is a potential option, but not usually their first choice. As a SE I have been given the Fairmont for IROPs before but got the feeling that I was unique from others in the same situation. However, if you push it may be an option.

The problem with compensation is that they usually make you talk to a person and are seldom proactive. Ideally you would get off the plane and they would have a boarding pass for your next flight and a hotel voucher, but wouldn’t expect that. You’ll likely be forced to wait in a long customer service line. Being in J means you’ll get off the plane first so you’ll have a heads start. A phone agent can or the website can confirm your next flight but cannot get you the hotel voucher.

If you paid for the non-points portion of your ticket with a credit card with trip interruption insurance that will always be your better option as you can just stay where you want to and submit expenses later. Will require you to get documentation of the delay from AC though.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yyzgigi
The Fairmont is a potential option, but not usually their first choice. As a SE I have been given the Fairmont for IROPs before but got the feeling that I was unique from others in the same situation. However, if you push it may be an option.

The problem with compensation is that they usually make you talk to a person and are seldom proactive. Ideally you would get off the plane and they would have a boarding pass for your next flight and a hotel voucher, but wouldn’t expect that. You’ll likely be forced to wait in a long customer service line. Being in J means you’ll get off the plane first so you’ll have a heads start. A phone agent can or the website can confirm your next flight but cannot get you the hotel voucher.

If you paid for the non-points portion of your ticket with a credit card with trip interruption insurance that will always be your better option as you can just stay where you want to and submit expenses later. Will require you to get documentation of the delay from AC though.
If having credit card insurance, I don't wait for the airline to book me a hotel. I book myself, charge the insurance and let them deal with the airline.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by Yukonprince
I assume my Aeroplan Visa will and what documentation do I need aside from the hotel bill to get reimbursed?
You ll need to prove the flight was late - so good idea to screenshot flightaware, etc.
The credit card will likely have a daily maximum for flight delay, so everything over that is your responsibility.

AC will claim weather, and rebook you on next available flight
Old Feb 2, 2019, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rankourabu
The credit card will likely have a daily maximum for flight delay, so everything over that is your responsibility.
Max being typically anywhere between CAD 500 and 1000 per person. Usually more than enough.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 11:10 am

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
My experience arriving from OGG late evening is that customs is fairly quick. But depending on how close together a couple of flights arrive it could be backed up a bit. Even so, a 70 minute intl-dom connection is pushing it.

You asked for advice: WS has a much better OTP on the YVR-HI routes, IME.

Also, you can check the inbound arrival 6 or 7 hours ahead of your departure. If it looks like you’ll misconnect you can get on the phone then and start making arrangements.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by Sopwith
Not available with Aeroplan though.

Delayed flight insurance kicks in at the 4 hour mark.
I suspect if you misconnect, AC will put you on the first flight of the day from YVR unless you ask for something later.
A 5 hour overnight connection isn't any fun unless you need to get home.

To claim, you need a copy of your original itinerary showing proof of payment with the insured credit card.
Old and new boarding passes.

Keep all receipts. All claimed purchases must be with your Aerogold Visa.
You can claim entertainment expenses. And I believe transportation to/from.
I've always bought magazines and books to entertain myself.

You may need copious amounts of snack food too.
And meals......with appetizer and dessert.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tracon
And meals......with appetizer and dessert.
And a decent wine, of course. Just like at home.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 1:09 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
LOL ... WS has a much better OTP on pretty well every route. AC's OTP is so consistently awful I don't even know why they bother publishing a schedule.

OP - expect flight delays because they're almost a sure thing. Would it be possible to adjust your schedule and just enjoy a night in Vancouver? It would be less stress, no doubt.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 2:26 pm
5mm
Suspended

you can check the inbound arrival 6 or 7 hours ahead of your departure. If it looks like you’ll misconnect you can get on the phone then and start making arrangements.
+1
Old Feb 2, 2019, 3:32 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Also, you can check the inbound arrival 6 or 7 hours ahead of your departure. If it looks like you’ll misconnect you can get on the phone then and start making arrangements.
The rule of thumb here is you have to be proactive about looking after yourself and getting rebooked on some thing decent, because AC sure as **** won't do it for you.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 3:46 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
You're generally not going to find many AC agents around YVR at midnight except GAs working the handful of flights that depart around that time, and they will be going off shift as soon as they're done with their last flight.

If you do misconnect, provided that you do have insurance and it will reimburse the cost, I'd head to a hotel and then deal with rebooking on the phone from the comfort of bed. If you don't need to get home ASAP and want a full night sleep feel free to ask for a late morning flight out of YVR. There are plenty of options.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta, Starwood, Fairmount
Originally Posted by eigenvector
You're generally not going to find many AC agents around YVR at midnight except GAs working the handful of flights that depart around that time, and they will be going off shift as soon as they're done with their last flight.

If you do misconnect, provided that you do have insurance and it will reimburse the cost, I'd head to a hotel and then deal with rebooking on the phone from the comfort of bed. If you don't need to get home ASAP and want a full night sleep feel free to ask for a late morning flight out of YVR. There are plenty of options.
Thank you - this is what I will do if required. I did check with CIBC Visa and I am covered travelling on points. Good idea about later flight in morning. Can leave at 11:30 and still make great connections to Fredericton 😀.

Thank you everyone for your kind and great advice - very much appreciated!!!
Old Feb 2, 2019, 8:38 pm

You may want to consider purchasing On My Way:

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...on-my-way.html

Travel insurance will reimburse you for out-of-pocket expenses but will NOT help you to re-book your flight.
Also remember next available seats are on a first come first get basis. The sooner that you're able to connect with an AC agent the better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.