Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC 516 HNL to YVR; what happens if I miss my connection to YYZ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC 516 HNL to YVR; what happens if I miss my connection to YYZ?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:07 pm

Aeroplan tickets aren't eligible for OMW.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by yyzgigi
If you paid for the non-points portion of your ticket with a credit card with trip interruption insurance that will always be your better option as you can just stay where you want to and submit expenses later. Will require you to get documentation of the delay from AC though.
Originally Posted by tracon
Not available with Aeroplan though.

Delayed flight insurance kicks in at the 4 hour mark.
I suspect if you misconnect, AC will put you on the first flight of the day from YVR unless you ask for something later.
A 5 hour overnight connection isn't any fun unless you need to get home.

To claim, you need a copy of your original itinerary showing proof of payment with the insured credit card.
Old and new boarding passes.

Keep all receipts. All claimed purchases must be with your Aerogold Visa.
You can claim entertainment expenses. And I believe transportation to/from.
I've always bought magazines and books to entertain myself.

You may need copious amounts of snack food too.
And meals......with appetizer and dessert.
My advice is to double check your coverage policy on your credit card. There's a difference between flight delay insurance - allowing you to purchase hotels/food/transportation/reasonable expenses after 4 hours of a delayed flight, and trip delay insurance, which will allow you to book an alternate flight up to a certain $ maximum to your final destination. Just make sure you're reading and claiming the right policy if you're ever in that situation
Old Feb 3, 2019, 2:56 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club - Demoted to Bronze and re-promoted to Silver alongside AC Elite 50K (gold) in 2022
WELL SAID - yyz_atc_qq

AC are so disingenuous in the way they blame weather for everything ie lets evade (Illegal) our legal (and moral responsibility

My best example is BOS to YYZ. Storms in YYZ but the airport was open. Our aircraft landed in BOS, the gate staff announced it as landed and boarding shortly. Then the Control Centre at Brampton cancelled it for no reason other than forming the first one out the next day. (the same fin number was showing the next morning for the first one out of BOS.
Folk should really dig in, research and not let ground staff fool you. That said, to defend ground staff at out stations - especially in the US, it must be hard to toe the company line excuse - when they know it's wrong but may have no choice.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mikey Mike Mike

AC are so disingenuous in the way they blame weather for everything ie lets evade (Illegal) our legal (and moral responsibility

My best example is BOS to YYZ. Storms in YYZ but the airport was open. Our aircraft landed in BOS, the gate staff announced it as landed and boarding shortly. Then the Control Centre at Brampton cancelled it for no reason other than forming the first one out the next day. (the same fin number was showing the next morning for the first one out of BOS.
And how do you know that that was the reason? Perhaps there was departure control at YYZ?
Old Feb 3, 2019, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by tracon
Aeroplan tickets aren't eligible for OMW.
Yes, Aeroplan tickets are OMW eligible. I have bought it before.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 4:20 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Then the Control Centre at Brampton cancelled it for no reason other than forming the first one out the next day. (the same fin number was showing the next morning for the first one out of BOS.
My own anecdotal experience is that when things start to go sideways, AC's priority is where they need the aircraft to be next. This supersedes everything else. Then it's where they need crews to be. Only then do they consider where the passengers need to be, if they consider that at all. In another thread the function of the Operations Centre were extolled: "Looking out for you...blah...blah...blah." Utter crap.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sopwith
My own anecdotal experience is that when things start to go sideways, AC's priority is where they need the aircraft to be next. This supersedes everything else. Then it's where they need crews to be. Only then do they consider where the passengers need to be, if they consider that at all. In another thread the function of the Operations Centre were extolled: "Looking out for you...blah...blah...blah." Utter crap.
At the end of the day, overall optimization also optimizes for overall passengers though. I don't think it's fair to blame operations. Surely they do the best they can overall.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 8:50 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club - Demoted to Bronze and re-promoted to Silver alongside AC Elite 50K (gold) in 2022
for clarity @Stranger

I was flying from Boston to Toronto. The in bound flight landed - ie our aircraft to take us home in 30 mins! They gate staff called it's arrival and said we'd be off in 30 mins. Tens of people in the queue get simultaneous messages saying it's cancelled. Ground staff then cite weather at Toronto - despite everyone else flying in and out.
Some basic research that night in BOS showed the last departure from Toronto cancelled, and the next morning - our tail fin (from the previous night) is now forming the first one out.

I get the business, I work in transit (though not on a worldwide scale)

But if you cancel to suit your schedule the next day - be big enough to say so and look after folk.

Just read the threads in the last week so see how AC have had a bad week performance wise, and left PAX stranded all over N America. In my case last week, two cancellations out of LGA and a third flight booked 24 hours after my original flight. Meanwhile, my agency booked me on the last AA out of LGA that day, and after a conversation at the gate of an earlier AA flight, I was out of LGA within the hour on standby All blamed on the weather with over 50% of AC departures from their busiest N American hub - to YUL and YYZ cancelled. Despite being at least 3 aircraft down, a poor performing fuel supplier, and crews all over the place -when does a cancellation cross the line and become an AC liability? No time soon in my experiences to date
Old Feb 3, 2019, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

for clarity @Stranger

I was flying from Boston to Toronto. The in bound flight landed - ie our aircraft to take us home in 30 mins! They gate staff called it's arrival and said we'd be off in 30 mins. Tens of people in the queue get simultaneous messages saying it's cancelled. Ground staff then cite weather at Toronto - despite everyone else flying in and out.
Some basic research that night in BOS showed the last departure from Toronto cancelled, and the next morning - our tail fin (from the previous night) is now forming the first one out.

I get the business, I work in transit (though not on a worldwide scale)

But if you cancel to suit your schedule the next day - be big enough to say so and look after folk.

Just read the threads in the last week so see how AC have had a bad week performance wise, and left PAX stranded all over N America. In my case last week, two cancellations out of LGA and a third flight booked 24 hours after my original flight. Meanwhile, my agency booked me on the last AA out of LGA that day, and after a conversation at the gate of an earlier AA flight, I was out of LGA within the hour on standby All blamed on the weather with over 50% of AC departures from their busiest N American hub - to YUL and YYZ cancelled. Despite being at least 3 aircraft down, a poor performing fuel supplier, and crews all over the place -when does a cancellation cross the line and become an AC liability? No time soon in my experiences to date
I did read these threads, and I believe I actually participated. "Cancelling to suit your next day schedule" on specific routes, when only a certain percentage of the scheduled flights will be able to land/take off at YYZ simply reflects optimizing in a bad situation. In the past there were bad situations where AC was largely to blame. But the current ones to me seem like they largely reflect that there were restrictions at YYZ, and the least bad way AC could handle these was to predominantly cancel short haul routes in the NE corridor. Which can be easily absorbed by scheduling a big plane the next day to absorb the loss. Recovery is a big part of the picture, and optimization got to be network-wide.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 10:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta, Starwood, Fairmount
Originally Posted by Clipper801
You may want to consider purchasing On My Way:

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...on-my-way.html

Travel insurance will reimburse you for out-of-pocket expenses but will NOT help you to re-book your flight.
Also remember next available seats are on a first come first get basis. The sooner that you're able to connect with an AC agent the better.
We are retired so no rush to get back home. There is late morning flight with great connections if need be.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 10:48 pm
Original Poster

One more quick question please... do we have to through domestic security after arriving from Hawaii? Travelling in J and no checked luggage..

Thank you
Old Feb 3, 2019, 11:35 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Originally Posted by Yukonprince
One more quick question please... do we have to through domestic security after arriving from Hawaii? Travelling in J and no checked luggage..

Thank you
For late arrivals it appears so. Quick Connect is only available until 9:00 pm according to this:

Passenger Guides | YVR
Old Feb 4, 2019, 7:18 am

Programs: AC, BA, Marriott, SPG

Thank you
I was on this flight a few weeks ago in J and connected to the same YYZ bound red-eye. In hallway just before immigration, someone will ask if you have a domestic connection and hand you a Yellow piece of paper. You can use this to go through a special "connections" customs line which takes you to a door where a bus will drive you to domestic gates. So no security.

After doing this, I have to say it might have been faster to just go through domestic security because it did not look busy. That being said, I guess it depends what time it is and luck.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by seegs
I was on this flight a few weeks ago in J and connected to the same YYZ bound red-eye. In hallway just before immigration, someone will ask if you have a domestic connection and hand you a Yellow piece of paper. You can use this to go through a special "connections" customs line which takes you to a door where a bus will drive you to domestic gates. So no security.

After doing this, I have to say it might have been faster to just go through domestic security because it did not look busy. That being said, I guess it depends what time it is and luck.
Great, good to know!!!
Old Feb 5, 2019, 6:25 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma

Thank you
I’ve done this trip countless times. Had to clear domestic security every time (upstairs after Canada Customs). That being said, I’ve never been offered an expedited process or ferried to the domestic terminal. I have been instructed by AC staff to hurry and in a few instances to run.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.