Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrading on AC34 SYD-(YVR-)YYZ

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2019, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Upgrading on AC34 SYD-(YVR-)YYZ

I am booked in O class on AC34 on Jan30. My ticket is SYD-YYZ, connecting to YOW. I am waitlisted for an upgrade.

EF availability has fluctuated a bit over the past week, however it appears to have stabilized as follows:
AC34 SYD-YYZ: J0 C0 D0 Z0 P0 R0 O3 E2 N1 Y9 etc.
AC34 SYD-YVR: J7 C1 D1 Z1 P0 R0 O5 E4 N0 Y9 etc.
AC34 YVR-YYZ: J0 C0 D0 Z0 P0 R0 O3 E1 N0 Y9 etc.

If I understand the upgrade priority correctly, I will be high on the list for YVR-YYZ thanks to my O class fare (only a SEMM or someone in paid J standing by would trump me). My channces for the SYD-YVR upgrade appear to be good, but what happens if there is not space available on both legs? Will I be upgraded SYD-YVR and left in PY for the onward leg to YYZ? Thanks.
--
13F
Old Jan 27, 2019, 6:25 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Seat13F_AC_CRJ
I am booked in O class on AC34 on Jan30. My ticket is SYD-YYZ, connecting to YOW. I am waitlisted for an upgrade.

EF availability has fluctuated a bit over the past week, however it appears to have stabilized as follows:
AC34 SYD-YYZ: J0 C0 D0 Z0 P0 R0 O3 E2 N1 Y9 etc.
AC34 SYD-YVR: J7 C1 D1 Z1 P0 R0 O5 E4 N0 Y9 etc.
AC34 YVR-YYZ: J0 C0 D0 Z0 P0 R0 O3 E1 N0 Y9 etc.

If I understand the upgrade priority correctly, I will be high on the list for YVR-YYZ thanks to my O class fare (only a SEMM or someone in paid J standing by would trump me). My channces for the SYD-YVR upgrade appear to be good, but what happens if there is not space available on both legs? Will I be upgraded SYD-YVR and left in PY for the onward leg to YYZ? Thanks.
--
13F
My understanding is if your upgrade cannot clear the whole way, they do not clear. (much like how AC treats this as one flight--to select a seat it must be open on both legs).

Might be a good idea to change to a connecing flight from YVR-YYZ since the J seats only seem zero on the yvr-yyz portion of the 'direct' AC34
Old Jan 27, 2019, 6:55 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by expert7700
My understanding is if your upgrade cannot clear the whole way, they do not clear. (much like how AC treats this as one flight--to select a seat it must be open on both legs).

Might be a good idea to change to a connecing flight from YVR-YYZ since the J seats only seem zero on the yvr-yyz portion of the 'direct' AC34
That is incorrect on 34. They can clear you up through YVR and then you are on the list there. They technically can do that on 33 as well but it is more complicated and they generally tend to avoid it in recently years
expert7700 likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 7:44 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by lcohen999
That is incorrect on 34. They can clear you up through YVR and then you are on the list there. They technically can do that on 33 as well but it is more complicated and they generally tend to avoid it in recently years
Yes, they can clear you for SYD-YVR, but it will require manual intervention to separate the one flight you have now (SYD-YYZ) into its two actual components. I strongly suggest that you try to contact the Concierge in SYD in advance if possible. They definitely know how to do it, and given that they are used to this, they may proactively do it. But make absolutely sure it is done as soon as you get to the check-in if not before.

IMHO, it is not more complicated for AC 33, it's purely that no one in YYZ knows how, and in fact, they don't even know its necessary. My last most unfortunate experience when unable to upgrade YVR-SYD on 33 was the result of totally erroneous information given to me in YYZ. And if it's not done at the originating station, you cannot not be upgraded no matter how many J seats are open.
Seat13F_AC_CRJ likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by expert7700

I am considering that as a plan B. If the YVR-YYZ leg does not clear, and I remain in PY, I might as well switch to a direct YVR-YOW flight for similar comfort and a savings of 2 hrs.
--
13F
Old Jan 27, 2019, 11:17 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
I am considering that as a plan B. If the YVR-YYZ leg does not clear, and I remain in PY, I might as well switch to a direct YVR-YOW flight for similar comfort and a savings of 2 hrs.
--
13F
Are you able to see the 2 segments of AC34 on the eUpgrade site? If you booked as thru flight SYD - YYZ, I don’t remember seeing the SYD-YVR and Yvr-YYZ segments separately... but it has been a while since I have flown this route
Old Jan 28, 2019, 5:12 am
Original Poster

No. AC34 shows as a single flight for me.
--
13F
Old Jan 28, 2019, 7:58 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
--
13F
You can email the concierges in YVR after you leave SYD. They are some of the best in the network and can easily action your request when you land. Especially with the new OSS at YVR.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 11:04 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
No. AC34 shows as a single flight for me.
--
13F
Then you should do what the others have suggested and reach out to the concierge to have your flight split into its 2 segments, so that you can upgrade each individually. Otherwise, your upgrade will be processed using the inventory for SYD - YYZ.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 11:20 am

Programs: AC SE*MM
--
13F
That is what I did when I went there; YOW-YVR-SYD. Sure, its an A321, but the flight to YVR isn't that long, the connection time is comfortable in YVR, and it saves connections & time which is always a big plus in my book.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

I've made contact with the SYD Concierge by email. They have assured me they are actively monitoring my upgrade. Currently J5 for the SYD-YVR leg with just over 24 hrs to go before the flight closes.
--
13F
Old Jan 28, 2019, 7:11 pm

Programs: *G
I've made contact with the SYD Concierge by email. They have assured me they are actively monitoring my upgrade. Currently J5 for the SYD-YVR leg with just over 24 hrs to go before the flight closes.
--
13F
Good to hear that the Concierge team is looking after you as I rather hoped they might do proactively. They are used to monitoring this issue and know full well that the SYD-YVR leg is the important one.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

So... I'm in the lounge in SYD. AC34 has a 2.5 hour delay today, and because we are now past the originally scheduled departure, I can no longer see the flight on expert flyer. The last time I checked, it was J7. The connecting segment of AC34 YVR-YYZ is showing J0, but becuase it will also be delayed, I am hoping a few J pax will catch and earlier flight to YYZ.

Just checked the app and I have a green checkmark!!! Not sure yet about the YVR-YYZ leg. More news to follow.
--
13F
monkai, fin 645, lallied and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 7:23 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
So... I'm in the lounge in SYD. AC34 has a 2.5 hour delay today, and because we are now past the originally scheduled departure, I can no longer see the flight on expert flyer. The last time I checked, it was J7. The connecting segment of AC34 YVR-YYZ is showing J0, but becuase it will also be delayed, I am hoping a few J pax will catch and earlier flight to YYZ.

Just checked the app and I have a green checkmark!!! Not sure yet about the YVR-YYZ leg. More news to follow.
--
13F
The upgrade list shows J7 for SYD YVR and J0 for YYZ YVR. Of course that doesn’t mean you can’t still clear closer to the time

Enjoy a hopefully pancake free flight.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

No pancakes in sight.

AC34, 30-Jan-2019
lallied likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.