Upgrading on AC34 SYD-(YVR-)YYZ

Reply

Old Jan 27, 19, 3:43 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: YOW
Programs: AC*SE100K BA-S HH-D IHG-G Accor-G MR-S
Posts: 3,411
Upgrading on AC34 SYD-(YVR-)YYZ

I am booked in O class on AC34 on Jan30. My ticket is SYD-YYZ, connecting to YOW. I am waitlisted for an upgrade.

EF availability has fluctuated a bit over the past week, however it appears to have stabilized as follows:
AC34 SYD-YYZ: J0 C0 D0 Z0 P0 R0 O3 E2 N1 Y9 etc.
AC34 SYD-YVR: J7 C1 D1 Z1 P0 R0 O5 E4 N0 Y9 etc.
AC34 YVR-YYZ: J0 C0 D0 Z0 P0 R0 O3 E1 N0 Y9 etc.

If I understand the upgrade priority correctly, I will be high on the list for YVR-YYZ thanks to my O class fare (only a SEMM or someone in paid J standing by would trump me). My channces for the SYD-YVR upgrade appear to be good, but what happens if there is not space available on both legs? Will I be upgraded SYD-YVR and left in PY for the onward leg to YYZ? Thanks.
--
13F
Seat13F_AC_CRJ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 19, 6:25 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: USA
Programs: Frontier 100K, AC SE100K, BA Gold, WN A-/CP, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 3,308
Originally Posted by Seat13F_AC_CRJ View Post
I am booked in O class on AC34 on Jan30. My ticket is SYD-YYZ, connecting to YOW. I am waitlisted for an upgrade.

EF availability has fluctuated a bit over the past week, however it appears to have stabilized as follows:
AC34 SYD-YYZ: J0 C0 D0 Z0 P0 R0 O3 E2 N1 Y9 etc.
AC34 SYD-YVR: J7 C1 D1 Z1 P0 R0 O5 E4 N0 Y9 etc.
AC34 YVR-YYZ: J0 C0 D0 Z0 P0 R0 O3 E1 N0 Y9 etc.

If I understand the upgrade priority correctly, I will be high on the list for YVR-YYZ thanks to my O class fare (only a SEMM or someone in paid J standing by would trump me). My channces for the SYD-YVR upgrade appear to be good, but what happens if there is not space available on both legs? Will I be upgraded SYD-YVR and left in PY for the onward leg to YYZ? Thanks.
--
13F
My understanding is if your upgrade cannot clear the whole way, they do not clear. (much like how AC treats this as one flight--to select a seat it must be open on both legs).

Might be a good idea to change to a connecing flight from YVR-YYZ since the J seats only seem zero on the yvr-yyz portion of the 'direct' AC34
expert7700 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 19, 6:55 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: I'm From Here
Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Posts: 3,705
Originally Posted by expert7700 View Post
My understanding is if your upgrade cannot clear the whole way, they do not clear. (much like how AC treats this as one flight--to select a seat it must be open on both legs).

Might be a good idea to change to a connecing flight from YVR-YYZ since the J seats only seem zero on the yvr-yyz portion of the 'direct' AC34
That is incorrect on 34. They can clear you up through YVR and then you are on the list there. They technically can do that on 33 as well but it is more complicated and they generally tend to avoid it in recently years
expert7700 likes this.
lcohen999 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 19, 7:44 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Canada
Programs: *G
Posts: 2,197
Originally Posted by lcohen999 View Post
That is incorrect on 34. They can clear you up through YVR and then you are on the list there. They technically can do that on 33 as well but it is more complicated and they generally tend to avoid it in recently years
Yes, they can clear you for SYD-YVR, but it will require manual intervention to separate the one flight you have now (SYD-YYZ) into its two actual components. I strongly suggest that you try to contact the Concierge in SYD in advance if possible. They definitely know how to do it, and given that they are used to this, they may proactively do it. But make absolutely sure it is done as soon as you get to the check-in if not before.

IMHO, it is not more complicated for AC 33, it's purely that no one in YYZ knows how, and in fact, they don't even know its necessary. My last most unfortunate experience when unable to upgrade YVR-SYD on 33 was the result of totally erroneous information given to me in YYZ. And if it's not done at the originating station, you cannot not be upgraded no matter how many J seats are open.
Seat13F_AC_CRJ likes this.
fin 645 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 19, 9:54 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: YOW
Programs: AC*SE100K BA-S HH-D IHG-G Accor-G MR-S
Posts: 3,411
Originally Posted by expert7700 View Post
My understanding is if your upgrade cannot clear the whole way, they do not clear. (much like how AC treats this as one flight--to select a seat it must be open on both legs).

Might be a good idea to change to a connecing flight from YVR-YYZ since the J seats only seem zero on the yvr-yyz portion of the 'direct' AC34
I am considering that as a plan B. If the YVR-YYZ leg does not clear, and I remain in PY, I might as well switch to a direct YVR-YOW flight for similar comfort and a savings of 2 hrs.
--
13F
Seat13F_AC_CRJ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 19, 11:17 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Toronto, ON, CANADA
Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Posts: 1,500
Originally Posted by Seat13F_AC_CRJ View Post
I am considering that as a plan B. If the YVR-YYZ leg does not clear, and I remain in PY, I might as well switch to a direct YVR-YOW flight for similar comfort and a savings of 2 hrs.
--
13F
Are you able to see the 2 segments of AC34 on the eUpgrade site? If you booked as thru flight SYD - YYZ, I donít remember seeing the SYD-YVR and Yvr-YYZ segments separately... but it has been a while since I have flown this route
Jebby_ca is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 19, 5:12 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: YOW
Programs: AC*SE100K BA-S HH-D IHG-G Accor-G MR-S
Posts: 3,411
No. AC34 shows as a single flight for me.
--
13F
Seat13F_AC_CRJ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 19, 7:58 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: I'm From Here
Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Posts: 3,705
Originally Posted by Seat13F_AC_CRJ View Post
I am considering that as a plan B. If the YVR-YYZ leg does not clear, and I remain in PY, I might as well switch to a direct YVR-YOW flight for similar comfort and a savings of 2 hrs.
--
13F
You can email the concierges in YVR after you leave SYD. They are some of the best in the network and can easily action your request when you land. Especially with the new OSS at YVR.
lcohen999 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 19, 11:04 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Toronto, ON, CANADA
Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Posts: 1,500
Originally Posted by Seat13F_AC_CRJ View Post
No. AC34 shows as a single flight for me.
--
13F
Then you should do what the others have suggested and reach out to the concierge to have your flight split into its 2 segments, so that you can upgrade each individually. Otherwise, your upgrade will be processed using the inventory for SYD - YYZ.
Jebby_ca is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 19, 11:20 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Programs: AC SE*100K
Posts: 848
Originally Posted by Seat13F_AC_CRJ View Post
I am considering that as a plan B. If the YVR-YYZ leg does not clear, and I remain in PY, I might as well switch to a direct YVR-YOW flight for similar comfort and a savings of 2 hrs.
--
13F
That is what I did when I went there; YOW-YVR-SYD. Sure, its an A321, but the flight to YVR isn't that long, the connection time is comfortable in YVR, and it saves connections & time which is always a big plus in my book.
RatherBeInYOW is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 19, 3:52 pm
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: YOW
Programs: AC*SE100K BA-S HH-D IHG-G Accor-G MR-S
Posts: 3,411
I've made contact with the SYD Concierge by email. They have assured me they are actively monitoring my upgrade. Currently J5 for the SYD-YVR leg with just over 24 hrs to go before the flight closes.
--
13F
Seat13F_AC_CRJ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 19, 7:11 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Canada
Programs: *G
Posts: 2,197
Originally Posted by Seat13F_AC_CRJ View Post
I've made contact with the SYD Concierge by email. They have assured me they are actively monitoring my upgrade. Currently J5 for the SYD-YVR leg with just over 24 hrs to go before the flight closes.
--
13F
Good to hear that the Concierge team is looking after you as I rather hoped they might do proactively. They are used to monitoring this issue and know full well that the SYD-YVR leg is the important one.
Seat13F_AC_CRJ likes this.
fin 645 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 19, 7:15 pm
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: YOW
Programs: AC*SE100K BA-S HH-D IHG-G Accor-G MR-S
Posts: 3,411
So... I'm in the lounge in SYD. AC34 has a 2.5 hour delay today, and because we are now past the originally scheduled departure, I can no longer see the flight on expert flyer. The last time I checked, it was J7. The connecting segment of AC34 YVR-YYZ is showing J0, but becuase it will also be delayed, I am hoping a few J pax will catch and earlier flight to YYZ.

Just checked the app and I have a green checkmark!!! Not sure yet about the YVR-YYZ leg. More news to follow.
--
13F
monkai, fin 645, lallied and 1 others like this.
Seat13F_AC_CRJ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 19, 7:23 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: YYZ
Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Posts: 5,111
Originally Posted by Seat13F_AC_CRJ View Post
So... I'm in the lounge in SYD. AC34 has a 2.5 hour delay today, and because we are now past the originally scheduled departure, I can no longer see the flight on expert flyer. The last time I checked, it was J7. The connecting segment of AC34 YVR-YYZ is showing J0, but becuase it will also be delayed, I am hoping a few J pax will catch and earlier flight to YYZ.

Just checked the app and I have a green checkmark!!! Not sure yet about the YVR-YYZ leg. More news to follow.
--
13F
The upgrade list shows J7 for SYD YVR and J0 for YYZ YVR. Of course that doesnít mean you canít still clear closer to the time

Enjoy a hopefully pancake free flight.
Seat13F_AC_CRJ likes this.
jc94 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 19, 8:37 pm
  #15  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: YOW
Programs: AC*SE100K BA-S HH-D IHG-G Accor-G MR-S
Posts: 3,411
No pancakes in sight.


AC34, 30-Jan-2019
lallied likes this.
Seat13F_AC_CRJ is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread