Wiki Posts
Search

Survey - Milton, In or Out?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2003, 6:22 am
msn
Original Poster

Survey - Milton, In or Out?

As parnel and I discussed this, I am making a new thread.

Ihave made my views know many times before - I think Milton should be COO, or effectively COO, with someone else being the public, active face at the top of Air Canada. Either that, or he should go.

The board has to go in any case, by the way.

What do you say?
Old Jun 22, 2003, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

During restructuring: The question is academic. Part of the restructuring agreement with GE is that the senior management team remain in place. Like it or not, Robert Milton will be CEO until AC leaves CCAA.

Post restructuring Milton will remain for at least a year. His operatioanal expertise is needed. The public face of AC could be the chairman of the BOD. As for the board, the new shareholders will put their people in place.
Old Jun 22, 2003, 9:28 am
At Large

He will stay for five more years and then move on.
Old Jun 22, 2003, 11:10 am
msn
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by airbus320:
His operatioanal expertise is needed.</font>
Hence my suggestion of C.O.O. - I wonder if the "new" shareholders will tolerate having such a person in the driver's seat without a co-pilot.
Old Jun 22, 2003, 11:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Time for a change at the top,IMHO. Why put off until tommorow what you can do today?
Old Jun 22, 2003, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AE
Out, out, out!

Many say that Milton has done a good job compared to the major US carriers, that he is ahead of the curve with re-branding etc. Hogwash! None of those carriers started out with the market dominance AC had when Milton took over.

The rebranding nonsense merely confirmd two things: that he sees no value in the Air Canada name and heritage, and rather than fix the problems at AC, he decided to play an expensive little shell game with all the brands.

Look no further than the antics Milton created with ACPA and CALPA to see that this man has no respect for his workers or any clue about labour relations.

Time to find some "raised in Canada" talent to replace him!

[This message has been edited by LeSabre74 (edited 06-22-2003).]
Old Jun 22, 2003, 12:01 pm
msn
Original Poster

I had posted this in the other thread, but here it is here: www.miltongottago.com
Old Jun 22, 2003, 12:02 pm
At Large

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LeSabre74:
Out, out, out!

Many say that Milton has done a good job compared to the major US carriers, that he is ahead of the curve with re-branding etc. Hogwash! None of those carriers started out with the market dominance AC had when Milton took over.

The rebranding nonsense merely confirmd two things: that he sees no value in the Air Canada name and heritage, and rather than fix the problems at AC, he decided to play an expensive little shell game with all the brands.

Look no further than the antics Milton created with ACPA and CALPA to see that this man has no respect for his workers or any clue about labour relations.

Time to find some "raised in Canada" talent to replace him!

[This message has been edited by LeSabre74 (edited 06-22-2003).]
</font>
What's with the raised in Canada bit--If someone offered you a top job in the US you would not accept it because it should go to a "raised in the USA" person. And, of course you would eliminate all the talented immigrants who have come here. HMMM???

Your program would leave guys like Frank Stronach of Magna and Dominc Dallesandro of Manulife without the possibility of creating the wealth for their shareholders that they have. This is not the economic world we now live in.

[This message has been edited by parnel (edited 06-22-2003).]
Old Jun 22, 2003, 1:26 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Air Miles, AAdvantage, SPG, Hilton HHonours, FPC
Time for Mr Milton to go - he crashed the airline by borrowing against assets to raise cash while his airline was bleeding

His track record is not a good one

thanks
Old Jun 22, 2003, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AE
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by parnel:
What's with the raised in Canada bit--If someone offered you a top job in the US you would not accept it because it should go to a "raised in the USA" person. And, of course you would eliminate all the talented immigrants who have come here. HMMM???

Your program would leave guys like Frank Stronach of Magna and Dominc Dallesandro of Manulife without the possibility of creating the wealth for their shareholders that they have. This is not the economic world we now live in.

[This message has been edited by parnel (edited 06-22-2003).]
</font>
We don't need to import any more high priced talent with apparently little understanding of the Canadian market to run established companies like Air Canada. There are plenty of Canadians who can do the job (and yes, I know Milton became a Canadian but AFTER he joined AC, you can bet he'll be scurrying back to the states after he gets the boot).

As to taking a job in the states, no thanks, but you often sound like you'd be happier there.
Old Jun 23, 2003, 3:22 pm
msn
Original Poster

Hey, don't snipe at each other - Mr. Milton is the topic here!
Old Jun 23, 2003, 3:38 pm

Very simple - Milton must go.

He had a near monoploy and still ruined an airline. Thanks to his dis-regard for the customers, the staff have been allowed to treat pasengers as the enemy.

His staffing and business decsions are all questionable and none have improved the airline.

Anyone else would do better, but they should look for a Canadian who at least uderstand our geography and regional make-up.

The board must go and be replaced by people who are responsible, have integrity and are accountable.

The longer Milton stays, the more trouble we will all have.
Old Jun 23, 2003, 4:43 pm
At Large

As to taking a job in the states, no thanks, but you often sound like you'd be happier there.

Been there done that--I am Canadian but don't reject others who come to our country and contribute.

Those who say Milton should go and bring in a new guy in the middle of restructuring have never been through one and don't realize the implications of these kinds of changes.GE was wise to ensure he and his team stayed on through it all.
Old Jun 23, 2003, 4:58 pm
msn
Original Poster

GE is wise because they will own him and he's going to buy a couple hundred powerplants from them - that's all.
Old Jun 23, 2003, 6:34 pm
At Large

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by msn:
GE is wise because they will own him and he's going to buy a couple hundred powerplants from them - that's all.</font>
SO--what is the problem with that? Good business I'd say.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.